Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

is bullshit part of aussie culture?

is bullshit part of aussie culture?

Old Sep 27th 2007, 4:34 am
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute
Default is bullshit part of aussie culture?

OH is a metal machinist by trade (which is how we got our visa 2 yrs ago) but also did C&G electrical qualification before we left. he got a job as soon as we arrived with an engineering firm which he left this time last year to start as an apprentice with a local electrical firm - a few months later we were told the only way he could get his licence was sign up and get crap pay for four years and attend TAFE despite having the qualification... as we were expecting our first child in June he had to leave as there was no way we could live off $13 an hour for the next four years.

so he got a job with a nationwide auto spare parts company, the job advertised was "storeperson" but when he went for the interview the bloke told him that he would quickly move into the sales side where "there is big money to be made" and there were all sorts of opportunities for someone with his qualifications, expereince and work ethic. so he started there in march on $17 an hour.

after our child was born he asked about moving on and was told it would all happen in a few months. then, nearly two months ago, he had an appraisal and was told his money would go up $3 an hour.

weeks passed and still his money was the same, so last week he has another word with his boss and asks him "where is this payrise?" and also when he is moving into something more interesting than what he's doing now.

today he has been told he can have another $1 an hour but he has to work two extra hours a week for some reason.......

we are both so p'd off

this is NOT what he was promised at the interview.

given all the crap we were fed when he was trying to sort his electrical out, and now this I just wondered if this is the norm or we are just unlucky?
Old Sep 27th 2007, 4:50 am
Forum Regular

liverpool12 is just really niceliverpool12 is just really niceliverpool12 is just really niceliverpool12 is just really niceliverpool12 is just really niceliverpool12 is just really niceliverpool12 is just really niceliverpool12 is just really niceliverpool12 is just really niceliverpool12 is just really niceliverpool12 is just really nice
Default Re: is bullshit part of aussie culture?

Hi,

Sorry to hear what you are saying.

Why cant he go back to being a Metal Machinist with a higher hourly rate and keep looking for something else?

Hope you get sorted

Rob
Old Sep 27th 2007, 4:58 am
Forum Regular

beebopaloola is just really nicebeebopaloola is just really nicebeebopaloola is just really nicebeebopaloola is just really nicebeebopaloola is just really nicebeebopaloola is just really nicebeebopaloola is just really nicebeebopaloola is just really nicebeebopaloola is just really nice

yes, yes and yes:curse:
asked my boss for a payrise in june (have to work out the budget, he said) asked again in July, August same story!! now looking for another job!
Old Sep 27th 2007, 5:06 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bridie
OH is a metal machinist by trade (which is how we got our visa 2 yrs ago) but also did C&G electrical qualification before we left. he got a job as soon as we arrived with an engineering firm which he left this time last year to start as an apprentice with a local electrical firm - a few months later we were told the only way he could get his licence was sign up and get crap pay for four years and attend TAFE despite having the qualification... as we were expecting our first child in June he had to leave as there was no way we could live off $13 an hour for the next four years.

so he got a job with a nationwide auto spare parts company, the job advertised was "storeperson" but when he went for the interview the bloke told him that he would quickly move into the sales side where "there is big money to be made" and there were all sorts of opportunities for someone with his qualifications, expereince and work ethic. so he started there in march on $17 an hour.

after our child was born he asked about moving on and was told it would all happen in a few months. then, nearly two months ago, he had an appraisal and was told his money would go up $3 an hour.

weeks passed and still his money was the same, so last week he has another word with his boss and asks him "where is this payrise?" and also when he is moving into something more interesting than what he's doing now.

today he has been told he can have another $1 an hour but he has to work two extra hours a week for some reason.......

we are both so p'd off

this is NOT what he was promised at the interview.

given all the crap we were fed when he was trying to sort his electrical out, and now this I just wondered if this is the norm or we are just unlucky?
What surprises me Bridie, given the dire shortage of all labour in WA at the moment, is that employers are trying to pull this shit.

Tell them to shove their job and start afresh somewhere else.
Old Sep 27th 2007, 5:16 am
k76
Forum Regular

k76 is just really nicek76 is just really nicek76 is just really nicek76 is just really nicek76 is just really nicek76 is just really nicek76 is just really nicek76 is just really nicek76 is just really nice

I think the answer is no, I wouldn't say Australians are more prone to bullshitting that others. But there are definitely some bad guys out there that could need an ethics 101.
Old Sep 27th 2007, 5:28 am
Banned

Trendsetter is an unknown quantity at this point

I remember when I started a job in Aus and it came to the first pay day. From first glance of my pay slip I noticed I had grossed about 10% less than what it should be.

After further investigation they had "included" supernnuation in my salary, instead of adding the compulsory 9% to my base salary.

I.e If the salary is advertised at $50k, one would expect the 9% to be added to this amount, as most employers do.

Including the super meant 5k less in my pocket.

So in other words, when signing your contract make sure it stipulates the words PLUS super, after the base rate.
Old Sep 27th 2007, 5:33 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Trendsetter
After further investigation they had "included" supernnuation in my salary, instead of adding the compulsory 9% to my base salary.

I.e If the salary is advertised at $50k, one would expect the 9% to be added to this amount, as most employers do.
That is not really sharp practice. It is quite common for some jobs to be advertised as basic on top of which you can assume Super while others quote "total compensation" including Super etc.

Always check what is included and what is not.

My total compensation includes a theoretical allowance for parking in the city which I never use as I take the train. It is not transferrable. While I knew about this I still find it annoying knowing that I can't use it but it is standard for all contracts.
Old Sep 27th 2007, 5:42 am
Senior Stella Member

Plug is just really nicePlug is just really nicePlug is just really nicePlug is just really nicePlug is just really nicePlug is just really nicePlug is just really nicePlug is just really nicePlug is just really nicePlug is just really nice

It seems that only when people resign that the money suddenly becomes available from the magic money tree out back. So many people where I am leaving at the mo and it's amazing what they are getting offerred to stay, it's a kick in the teeth and most of them have said poke it and gone........
Old Sep 27th 2007, 5:43 am
Banned

Originally Posted by worzel
That is not really sharp practice. It is quite common for some jobs to be advertised as basic on top of which you can assume Super while others quote "total compensation" including Super etc.

Always check what is included and what is not.

My total compensation includes a theoretical allowance for parking in the city which I never use as I take the train. It is not transferrable. While I knew about this I still find it annoying knowing that I can't use it but it is standard for all contracts.
I've grown up in AUS all my life, I've worked in quite a few places in 3 states and only one employer has ever tried to "include" super on the advertised salary. They were a greedy accounting firm in Melbourne.

But yes, I was caught out and should have checked it and always do so now.

Anyhow, my sympathies to the OP. It's hard enough moving to another country without that BS being put on.
Old Sep 27th 2007, 6:37 am
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Plug
It seems that only when people resign that the money suddenly becomes available from the magic money tree out back. So many people where I am leaving at the mo and it's amazing what they are getting offerred to stay, it's a kick in the teeth and most of them have said poke it and gone........
This is so true. Seems Aus employers still see their emplyees as disposable, then wonder why there's no loyalty. It must cost an arm and a leg in recruitment and training, besides they lose valuable experience and knowledge. The dirty tricks mentioned are not unusual. Great country to live, lousy to work
Old Sep 27th 2007, 6:42 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sonlymewalter
Great country to live, lousy to work
Disagree. I enjoy my job. We have a relaxed, friendly environment, my boss is great, we are well paid, we have loads of company functions, parties, drinks etc.

I think Australia is a great country to work in.
Old Sep 27th 2007, 6:50 am

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Disagree. I enjoy my job. We have a relaxed, friendly environment, my boss is great, we are well paid, we have loads of company functions, parties, drinks etc.

Great, pleased to hear it. It's all about opinion and relativity...

I worked for a few companies here and few in UK and in my opinion Aus companies do not invest as much in training, coaching & development. Training, coaching & development is almost non existent and means nothing - Aussie work culture on the whole is steeped much more in internal politics and nepotism and mateship. Far more than UK... IMHO
Old Sep 27th 2007, 7:08 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Amazulu

Any jobs going there?
Old Sep 27th 2007, 7:12 am

Originally Posted by Trendsetter
Any jobs going there?
It's his own company
Old Sep 27th 2007, 7:13 am
Banned

Originally Posted by sonlymewalter
Great, pleased to hear it. It's all about opinion and relativity...

I worked for a few companies here and few in UK and in my opinion Aus companies do not invest as much in training, coaching & development. Training, coaching & development is almost non existent and means nothing - Aussie work culture on the whole is steeped much more in internal politics and nepotism and mateship. Far more than UK... IMHO
My partner and I couldn't agree more. As Aussies, we loved our year working in UK workplaces.

It's one the biggest reasons why we plan on heading back there next year. Not only does management seem more trusting of staff, there is less red tape and we didn't experience any backstabbing.

My partner especially, could write a book about the backstabbing from other women she has received here. It doesn't help that shes fit and most of the other women are obese.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.