British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   bullied in primery schools, (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/bullied-primery-schools-325616/)

charlie brown Sep 12th 2005 10:30 pm

bullied in primery schools,

do five year olds get bullied in australia,:o please tell me it's not as bad as the uk.do teachers have any sort of control sorry to rant but just at wit's end

OzTennis Sep 12th 2005 10:38 pm

Re: bullied in primery schools,

Originally Posted by charlie brown
do five year olds get bullied in australia,:o please tell me it's not as bad as the uk.do teachers have any sort of control sorry to rant but just at wit's end

Australia has a similar range of social problems to the UK. It would be crass to suggest bullying doesn't happen there (have a look at Hevs thread about her experience with her son). I'll leave it those with young children to comment on experiences relative to the UK.

OzTennis :)

OzTennis Sep 12th 2005 10:40 pm

Just on a lighter note you can strike off how badly England does at cricket as a potential source of playground bullying for a recent English migrant. :D

charlie brown Sep 12th 2005 10:43 pm

Originally Posted by OzTennis
Australia has a similar range of social problems to the UK. It would be crass to suggest bullying doesn't happen there (have a look at Hevs thread about her experience with her son). I'll leave it those with young children to comment on experiences relative to the UK.

thank you for your reply just got desperat ,i just can't seem to make the school understand how bad it is for him,he is only five

OzTennis Sep 12th 2005 10:44 pm

thank you for your reply just got desperat ,i just can't seem to make the school understand how bad it is for him,he is only five

Is he being bullied in a Hampshire school?

Jane and Russ Middleton Sep 12th 2005 10:45 pm

Hi
had to reply !! When my daughter started school we had a prob with bullies

Think unfortunately this a problem worldwide ... I tried to talk to the mother but she was unhelpful.... lucky for me They left our school but it really makes you feel physically sick doesn't it.
You never know anyhow when your 5 year old goes to school they will be just fine if not then you can really push for help. Hopefully you will just have a good change of location
Jane x :)

charlie brown Sep 13th 2005 12:24 am

Originally Posted by Jane and Russ Middleton
Hi
had to reply !! When my daughter started school we had a prob with bullies

Think unfortunately this a problem worldwide ... I tried to talk to the mother but she was unhelpful.... lucky for me They left our school but it really makes you feel physically sick doesn't it.
You never know anyhow when your 5 year old goes to school they will be just fine if not then you can really push for help. Hopefully you will just have a good change of location
Jane x :)

yes it is a Hampshire school . sorry just brought him home for dinner, this started last year thay don't seem to do any thing , now he just say's he feels sike and crys all the time. i'm just so help less or it feels like that anyway thanks for your replies :confused:

ub40fan Sep 13th 2005 12:30 am

yes it is a Hampshire school . sorry just brought him home for dinner, this started last year thay don't seem to do any thing , now he just say's he feels sike and crys all the time. i'm just so help less or it feels like that anyway thanks for your replies :confused:

Oh Jane

I really feel for you, I have been there. My child was a little older though but the school still wouldn't listen, neither would the parents. It went on for almost 8 years on and off, and all because my son was an "incomer" to a small village. The other 2 didn't suffer anything at all because they had been at toddler group and playgroup before hand with all the others in the class.

I would be tempted to go to the parent governors, which is what I told the deputy head I would do if he didn't sort it out. This is supposed to be an exciting time in his life and he is going to miss so much just because some other kid thinks he can get away with it.

I hope you get it sorted.

Shirley

Perthforme Sep 13th 2005 12:32 am

Hi charlie Brown , sorry to hear your wee one still having a prob with this !
A change of school when you do move to Aus could help i guess but you never know, it is a prob i would get down to that school and have very very strong words with the head .
Its their duty to protect the kids while they are in their care !

spalen Sep 13th 2005 12:32 am

You basically have to sort it out

- either approach the parents but if they are idiots then thats that blown and be wary of how you approach them if they are asses (there was a thread on here about someones Dad who went to see the dad of a bully and ended up in intensive care)
- if the school wont help you can go to governors, and or council
- if you dont feel like doing either of these then get them out of the school and into a new one.

Do not just let it lie. It will not do you any good nor them.

You should document every time that you raise it with the head give him x days to get back to you with response and then chase . If the head fails to respond in time then insist on seeing a governor and do same thing. Do not give up on it.

HAM Sep 13th 2005 12:34 am

Hi Charlie Brown

Does your school have a bullying policy? You should ask to see it and ask what action is being taken to help your child and exactly how the situation is being dealt with, with regards to the other child and their parents. 5 is a tough age they are still so young :o

suzy Sep 13th 2005 12:35 am

How I feel for you. My daughter was bullied from the age of 4 at infant school. Needed stitches from a bite once and x-ray from concussion etc etc. won't go into major details publicly but I ended up threatening legal action. Thankfully she is now at primary school and has had a wonderful 1st year. I was helped by a number of websites such as kidscape and others and cannot tell you how much better they made me feel.

If you want any details of the sites let me know via a pm. If you feel you can tell me what is happening do so and I can let you know whether what I did has any relevance to your situation.

Suzy x

charlie brown Sep 13th 2005 12:37 am

Originally Posted by ub40fan
Oh Jane

I really feel for you, I have been there. My child was a little older though but the school still wouldn't listen, neither would the parents. It went on for almost 8 years on and off, and all because my son was an "incomer" to a small village. The other 2 didn't suffer anything at all because they had been at toddler group and playgroup before hand with all the others in the class.

I would be tempted to go to the parent governors, which is what I told the deputy head I would do if he didn't sort it out. This is supposed to be an exciting time in his life and he is going to miss so much just because some other kid thinks he can get away with it.

I hope you get it sorted.

Shirley

thanks i am sitting here justwaiting for 3-15 when i can pick him up , feel so usless, but not i am not going to let them make it sad time for him going to toysrus after school to make him smile , not the way i know but it helps for tmorrow when we do it all again

Bella Donna Sep 13th 2005 12:42 am

Hi, so sorry that your son is going through this. It's a nightmare. My dd was at a small Somerset primary, 84 pupils, and she really had a tough time with two little s**ts who have just gone on to secondary. It went on from the time she started in reception right up until her last day in July. These two kids terrorised loads of kids - most of the children got the treatment from them at some point. :mad: I've stood in the corridor at school and seen one of them kick my dd from behind when he didn't realise I was there.

We complained many times to the head teacher, and she did as much as I feel she could at that time. She made the worse one of the two write a formal letter of apology to our dd - yeah, right. That was really good. He has just gone on to secondary (having been held back a year already) and he couldn't even manage to write "I'm sorry ***** that I hurt you" without half a dozen spelling errors. Yeah, brilliant UK education! But what annoyed me was the protest from the teachers that these two were misunderstood and had *issues* which the school had to take into consideration. The one had seen his brother knocked off his bike and killed outside their home two years earlier, and the other had a father who didn't know how to keep his pants done up and had several children fathered around the village - there were three or four of them at the school and it caused constant trouble between them. He was also very small and skinny, and definitely *backward* (sorry if this isn't the PC word). Mind, one of his half brothers was in dd's class and *he* laid into her too! :mad: Fine, they had issues, they didn't have to beat up my daughter who had never done anything to harm them! :mad: :mad: Or anyone else, come to that.

Anyway, having let off that steam, you need to go and camp out in the head teacher's office and ask exactly what they are going to do about it. Your son has the right to go to school without being terrorised, and they must protect that right. As far as I know, every school must have a policy on bullying, and implement it. Find out who the school governors are and approach them, if necessary. Is there a parents' committee of some sort that you could ask for help? If all else fails, take your son out of school until something *is* done. Contact your local Educational Welfare Office (county council, I expect) and discuss it with them. There is a very strong home education network in Hampshire and surrounding area - take him out of school and seek their support until the matter is resolved. If something isn't done, it will damage his chances of ever being happy at school.

Good luck - I feel for you. I know how it broke my heart seeing my dd in tears after her experiences. One of the reasons I am so glad to have left England was to get away from that. I'm realistic - I'm sure there is bullying in Oz, but I'm also hoping that the kids here have a little more respect for others. Maybe that's too idealistic - I'll soon find out. :)

Sue

suzy Sep 13th 2005 12:50 am

"these two were misunderstood and had *issues* which the school had to take into consideration. "

You don't live in my village do you???? Same problem I had.

One thing I would suggest the OP finds out is whether the Head of Govs are friends with the Head. Mine were - they used to go to dinner together - I had no chance with that route. Brown nosing all round. Pair of bitches if ever I saw some :mad:

Suzy x