Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Bull Sharks & The Brisbane River!!

Wikiposts

Bull Sharks & The Brisbane River!!

Old Oct 21st 2004, 8:58 am

madsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Bull Sharks & The Brisbane River!!

I was watching a program last night on one of these highbrow nature programs, the title "the worlds 10 most dangerous sharks.

All was going swimmingly until in the last 10 mins the narrater drops in this molten bronze droplet of shark wisdom, cue a picture of the Brisbane River, cue the Narrater...."this is the brisbane river, there are estimated to be over 2000 Bull sharks in this river alone :scared: "

Two Facts

1) Bull sharks are the only sharks who can survive in Fresh Water
2) Bull Sharks have more recorded attacks on humans than Tigers & great whites put together.

Moral of the story: Stay out the Brisbane River :scared:
Old Oct 21st 2004, 9:07 am
....is FAB

artep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bull Sharks & The Brisbane River!!

When we were over there we saw some mad buggers rowing along the brissy river.......imagine capsizing and seeing some huge bloody shark coming for ya!! :scared:
Old Oct 21st 2004, 9:14 am

madsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by artep
When we were over there we saw some mad buggers rowing along the brissy river.......imagine capsizing and seeing some huge bloody shark coming for ya!! :scared:

Not bloody me mate, i would thrash the water to a foam, ankle deep in sea water and i have an inbuilt thing in my head which starts playing the theme tune to Jaws!! My opinion is if god had wanted us in the water he would have gave us webbed feet, plus you dont see a shark walking through the front door of your house and plonking himself on the sofa do you, if he aint welcome in your house "stay the f&*k out of his!!!"
Old Oct 21st 2004, 9:22 am
....is FAB

artep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by madsad
Not bloody me mate, i would thrash the water to a foam, ankle deep in sea water and i have an inbuilt thing in my head which starts playing the theme tune to Jaws!! My opinion is if god had wanted us in the water he would have gave us webbed feet, plus you dont see a shark walking through the front door of your house and plonking himself on the sofa do you, if he aint welcome in your house "stay the f&*k out of his!!!"
...couldn't agree more!!! I don't 'do' sea....I do pools....I definately do spas.. but sea?? ....not on your nelly!

...if anyone ever managed to get me in the sea (yea alright ) and I saw anything that vaguely resembled a shark...I'd be throwing children behind me as I legged it to shore...
Old Oct 21st 2004, 10:07 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by madsad
I was watching a program last night on one of these highbrow nature programs, the title "the worlds 10 most dangerous sharks.

All was going swimmingly until in the last 10 mins the narrater drops in this molten bronze droplet of shark wisdom, cue a picture of the Brisbane River, cue the Narrater...."this is the brisbane river, there are estimated to be over 2000 Bull sharks in this river alone :scared: "

Two Facts

1) Bull sharks are the only sharks who can survive in Fresh Water
2) Bull Sharks have more recorded attacks on humans than Tigers & great whites put together.

Moral of the story: Stay out the Brisbane River :scared:
They love all those hideous canal developments that QLDers seem to love. There was an attack in the Gold coast last year and a few dogs seem to get munched by them.
Old Oct 21st 2004, 11:24 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

There were two deaths down the Gold coast recently , one an old bloke who was swimming early morning across the canal, the other a young man which swam in the night.

Brisbane is full of Bull sharks ( and various whalers, Hammerheads and the odd Tiger) especially in the summer months. Those baby Bull sharks that you saw are not just in the Brissie river ( sounds a bit like a programme that was on last Sunday night here) . You can catch them basically anywhere there is water, shallows of manly, Birkdale, Sandgate, Redcliffe, Gc, Sunshine C, etc etc etc. I've pulled enough out from all these places.I fish for sharks, and release them. If I can't get out in the boat into the bay due to rough weather , I have fun catching the smaller ones in the shallows of Brisbane - land fishing.

Nobody swims in the Brissie river because of the clarity ( dirty, plus you can't see beneath you, plus the drop offs - so you're risking it) of the water, you'd be mad to swim in the river due to sharks. There are some big sharks in that river.

Bull shark(three and half to four ft long cute little baby) , which was caught in around three /four feet of water in a small feeder creek joining the Brisbane river, just one of many that I have caught in the river. This little fellow ( as all do) went back to bite another day. If you're board ( edit*or even bored lol) and can't get out in the bay due to rough weather, an evening fishing from the land in the Brissie river, and creeks can be fun for the hundreds of smaller ones, which frequent the river
Attached Thumbnails Bull Sharks & The Brisbane River!!-bull-shark-1.jpg  

Last edited by Ceri; Oct 21st 2004 at 11:45 am.
Old Oct 21st 2004, 11:29 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

next pic is from Mrs Dagboy's back yard ( manly) , pulled this one out in just three feet of water - if that, right next to the bank/rocks on the side. This one is a young baby whaler, from the whaler family. Just as dangerous as Bull sharks and often confused with a bull shark. This I pulled out mid afternoon, sun blaring ( usually you get them in the early morning and dusk/night, or overcast days) at the side of the Yacht club where there were kids swimming in the water.
Attached Thumbnails Bull Sharks & The Brisbane River!!-sml-whaler-manly.jpg  
Old Oct 21st 2004, 11:32 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

There is a very popular area of the river at Colleges Crossing, near to Mt Crosby, where the river is shallow, canoes can be hired and kids are seen splashing about in the water. The attached is a sign by the river bank
Attached Thumbnails Bull Sharks & The Brisbane River!!-colleges-crossing.jpg  
Old Oct 21st 2004, 11:32 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Birkdale/Thornside :

All these little baby sharks can be caught anywhere around Brisbane from the land, in just a few feet of water with live bait.
sharks are everywhere, deaths are rare. Most people are not even aware that they are there in just a few feet of water.. it's always quite fun to pull them out right next to swimmers... The look on their faces is always classic

I won't start on what's in the bay, the nice big "mummy"ones, boat fishing, just though I'd post some of the lovely little babies in the shallows ( where people swim around here) of Brisbane

cheers
Attached Thumbnails Bull Sharks & The Brisbane River!!-land-bull.jpg  
Old Oct 21st 2004, 11:38 am
Y Ddraig Goch

GC canal.. this pic, Bull sharks again ( from newspaper) is what they pulled out by baiting lines across the part where the two deaths occured. The council went on a shark hunt after the GC deaths - Pointless exercise , the canals are full of them
Attached Thumbnails Bull Sharks & The Brisbane River!!-clip_image001.jpg  
Old Oct 21st 2004, 1:23 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Swan river in Perth is home to Bull sharks too. Probably loads of them.
Old Oct 21st 2004, 7:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

darkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by renth
Swan river in Perth is home to Bull sharks too. Probably loads of them.
B*GGER!! Just reading down this post thinking - humm glad I chose Perth over Brissie, and then I read your post!!! D'oh!!!

Looks like I may have to rethink my plans to learn to sail!!

I have to say I had been put off sailing in the Swan River during my last visit to Perth in April, when we took a boat trip on the swan. The water was thick with literally millions of big jellyfish. Dunno if they were poisonous ones, but I dont care - still wouldnt want to be in the water with that many!!
Old Oct 21st 2004, 8:57 pm
Forum Regular

MarkO'G is an unknown quantity at this point

Wow,

A few years ago on Australia day me and a couple of mates pulled this Aussie guy out of the water at the banks of the river. He was totally smashed and had decided to jump off the boat that him and his mates were on with a bag full of beers and a bottle of bundy rum. He had decided to swim over to the celebrations on the South bank. He took a few bets with his mates and jumped overboard. The beers were weighing him down and the current dragging him the opposite way, so he attempted to walk along the bottom of the river inbetween swimming. We pulled him out of the water on the opposite side on the boardwalk area in the park. He was exhausted with a massive cut on his foot from walking along the bottom. He cracked open the rum, thanked me and my mates for dragging him out (He was a little disappointed to be rescued by pommy B******s) and then fainted a couple of times before we got him to the St Johns Ambulance.

He did not seem to bothered about the threat of attracting sharks to all the blood he was spilling - but hell, he was proud that he hadn't lost a single beer from his bag!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Oct 22nd 2004, 3:00 am
KRSC Member

TOADFISH is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Ceri
Birkdale/Thornside :

All these little baby sharks can be caught anywhere around Brisbane from the land, in just a few feet of water with live bait.
sharks are everywhere, deaths are rare. Most people are not even aware that they are there in just a few feet of water.. it's always quite fun to pull them out right next to swimmers... The look on their faces is always classic

I won't start on what's in the bay, the nice big "mummy"ones, boat fishing, just though I'd post some of the lovely little babies in the shallows ( where people swim around here) of Brisbane

cheers
Although they scare the life out of me, i am totally fascinated by them, would love to go fishing for them and when we eventually get there i will defo give it a bash.

Cheers for the replys Ceri. (Mr Madsad, Toadfish during working hours)
Old Oct 22nd 2004, 6:31 am
Forum Regular

windsurfer uk is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by darkless
B*GGER!! Just reading down this post thinking - humm glad I chose Perth over Brissie, and then I read your post!!! D'oh!!!

Looks like I may have to rethink my plans to learn to sail!!

I have to say I had been put off sailing in the Swan River during my last visit to Perth in April, when we took a boat trip on the swan. The water was thick with literally millions of big jellyfish. Dunno if they were poisonous ones, but I dont care - still wouldnt want to be in the water with that many!!
Heading to Perth hopefully Jan 05, looking forward to windsurfing there.Trick is I have been told is always to sail or dive with a mate who`s slower than you and take a knife.If you see a shark stab your mate in the leg and swim like buggery.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.