Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Bulk billing question Brisbane

Bulk billing question Brisbane

Old Sep 5th 2007, 5:49 am
Just enjoying being here

rebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud of
Question Bulk billing question Brisbane

After looking at a few different medical centres I made an appointment with a Dr at one that said it did bulk billing which I thought meant you didn't pay for a normal Drs appointment - however when I phoned for an appointment the receptionist said I would be charged $49 and would be able to claim most back except $16.

So now I'm confused this doesn't sound like bulk billing to me - I had my eyetest done with bulk billing and it was free? Do you have to register at the medical centre first to get bulk billing?
Old Sep 5th 2007, 6:17 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bulk billing question Brisbane

If they bulk bill this means that they claim to Medicare for the benefit payable at a service directly and you dont pay that portion.

If they dont bulk bill you pay the whole lot and then take your invoice down to a medicare centre and claim it back for cash there and then.

Ultimately you pay the same, bulk billing saves you a trip.
Old Sep 5th 2007, 7:01 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rebnatoli
After looking at a few different medical centres I made an appointment with a Dr at one that said it did bulk billing which I thought meant you didn't pay for a normal Drs appointment - however when I phoned for an appointment the receptionist said I would be charged $49 and would be able to claim most back except $16.

So now I'm confused this doesn't sound like bulk billing to me - I had my eyetest done with bulk billing and it was free? Do you have to register at the medical centre first to get bulk billing?
Some do a certain amount of bulk-billing, but not for all appointments, for example they may not do it for weekends.
Old Sep 5th 2007, 7:26 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

I also noticed ads that said bulk billing, but after checking it was usually just for the kids.

So far we've all had doctors appointments. The kids have been bulk bulled but mine isn't. So within a doctors office they may bulk bill unders some situations but not others.
Old Sep 5th 2007, 11:05 am
Forum Regular

kt.2006 is just really nicekt.2006 is just really nicekt.2006 is just really nicekt.2006 is just really nicekt.2006 is just really nicekt.2006 is just really nicekt.2006 is just really nicekt.2006 is just really nicekt.2006 is just really nice

Hi

At the new Victoria Point Medical Centre I have not been charged for anything. They even have Xray, ultrasound and pathology departments. The only thing I have paid for has been a prescription at the chemist.
Old Sep 6th 2007, 4:13 am
Forum Regular

h1tvd is a name known to allh1tvd is a name known to allh1tvd is a name known to allh1tvd is a name known to allh1tvd is a name known to allh1tvd is a name known to allh1tvd is a name known to allh1tvd is a name known to allh1tvd is a name known to allh1tvd is a name known to allh1tvd is a name known to all

I've had 2 doctors appointments. 1st appointment - as it was explained to me the surgery has some bulk billing appointments - first come first served and these do not cost you anything. If you desperately need an appointment and cant wait for a bulk billed one then you get a normal appointment, pay $50 and can claim back about $30 something dollars from medicare. 2nd appointment - same as first but the first appointment had to be a normal appointment, then can qualify for bulk billing appointment. That doctor explained that the most common type of appointment not available through bulk billing with them is for post natal appointments and these do cost quite a lot.

Hope this helps.
Old Sep 6th 2007, 4:35 am
Just enjoying being here

rebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by kt.2006
Hi

At the new Victoria Point Medical Centre I have not been charged for anything. They even have Xray, ultrasound and pathology departments. The only thing I have paid for has been a prescription at the chemist.
I think that's the one I was supposed to go to but booked the Victoria Point Surgery by accident!

Thanks to everyone else for the replies - guess it takes a bit of getting used to!
Old Sep 6th 2007, 12:08 pm
Forum Regular

kt.2006 is just really nicekt.2006 is just really nicekt.2006 is just really nicekt.2006 is just really nicekt.2006 is just really nicekt.2006 is just really nicekt.2006 is just really nicekt.2006 is just really nicekt.2006 is just really nice

I think that's the one I was supposed to go to but booked the Victoria Point Surgery by accident!

Thanks to everyone else for the replies - guess it takes a bit of getting used to!
Easily done as there are so many around. I would recommend this one.

My son recently had an accident and we took him to the VP Medical Centre as it is like a mini hospital. He had stitches and went back to have the dressings changed every two days. I thought the treatment he received was excellent and the only thing we paid for was antibiotics .
Old Sep 6th 2007, 12:16 pm
Banned

Aussie_Pom has much to be proud ofAussie_Pom has much to be proud ofAussie_Pom has much to be proud ofAussie_Pom has much to be proud ofAussie_Pom has much to be proud ofAussie_Pom has much to be proud ofAussie_Pom has much to be proud ofAussie_Pom has much to be proud ofAussie_Pom has much to be proud ofAussie_Pom has much to be proud ofAussie_Pom has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by kt.2006
Easily done as there are so many around. I would recommend this one.

My son recently had an accident and we took him to the VP Medical Centre as it is like a mini hospital. He had stitches and went back to have the dressings changed every two days. I thought the treatment he received was excellent and the only thing we paid for was antibiotics .
Could not agree more, went there yesterday with Daughter, best thing about the place is the excellent ventilation A/C system which means if you go in with a sprained ankle you leave with a sprained ankle not some air borne virus as well.
Old Sep 6th 2007, 12:23 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Aussie_Pom
Could not agree more, went there yesterday with Daughter, best thing about the place is the excellent ventilation A/C system which means if you go in with a sprained ankle you leave with a sprained ankle not some air borne virus as well.
Very handy during the hot summer months too!
Old Sep 6th 2007, 12:29 pm
Just enjoying being here

We went over to have a look after going to the other place and will be booking our next appointment there - it looked nicer and the receptionists were friendly.
Old Sep 6th 2007, 12:33 pm
Forum Regular

We went over to have a look after going to the other place and will be booking our next appointment there - it looked nicer and the receptionists were friendly.
Not too sure about friendly receptionists (do they exist?) but the nurses were very friendly and the doctors seemed very good.