Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Buildings Insurance

Buildings Insurance

Old Apr 27th 2004, 9:44 am

maxpaxx is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Buildings Insurance

I am having hell of a job getting buildings insurance for the house we complete on next week!

because we are leasing it back to the builders for use as a display home it will be empty at night.

Anyone got a good broker they know of in Perth?

Cheers
Max x
Old Apr 27th 2004, 10:57 am
Forum Regular

cookies is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry but no advice on Perth, but want to get something off my chest!

We put in an offer for a house and had to get insurance on the house as soon as the offer was accepted. Why couldn't the insurance start from the settlement date? Presumably the owners still have insurance until they settle - the house is still theirs.

Why were we forced into taking insurance 3 weeks before we needed it? Think of how many people are buying houses and the overlap in insurance that the companies are getting.......what a scam!!!

Gripe over....back in my box.

Steve
Old Apr 27th 2004, 12:25 pm
Account Closed

ANA123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Steve,
We havnt been told to do this :scared:

Will check it out tomorrow,
Michaela
Old Apr 27th 2004, 12:51 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by cookies
Sorry but no advice on Perth, but want to get something off my chest!

We put in an offer for a house and had to get insurance on the house as soon as the offer was accepted. Why couldn't the insurance start from the settlement date? Presumably the owners still have insurance until they settle - the house is still theirs.

Why were we forced into taking insurance 3 weeks before we needed it? Think of how many people are buying houses and the overlap in insurance that the companies are getting.......what a scam!!!

Gripe over....back in my box.

Steve
It's a Queensland thing

But the real estate agent can arrange a cover note for you. Ours did for no charge.

Old Apr 28th 2004, 9:49 am
Forum Regular

cookies is an unknown quantity at this point

I could have guessed that you would have a wheez for this ABC! Well done on you - but not everybody will have a freindly real estate agent.

Steve
Old Apr 28th 2004, 11:21 am
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by cookies
I could have guessed that you would have a wheez for this ABC! Well done on you - but not everybody will have a freindly real estate agent.

Steve
I got the impression from the Real Estate guy that it was a common thing for them to do. Quite a few insurance companies will issue cover, but not proceed with the policy if payment isn't received within 30 days (or something like that).

They probably do it on the assumption that the majority of customers will proceed with the policy and not bother getting alternative quotes.

It did suprise me a bit, having been an Insurance Broker myself before, but I accept whats offered