Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Buildings and contents insurance

Buildings and contents insurance

Old Oct 8th 2010, 2:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Family of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Buildings and contents insurance

Our buildings insurance will expire when we move into our house ourselves (currently tenanted), plus we'll need contents insurance.

Any recommendations, preferably for insurance I can arrange in advance and online?

Thanks!
Old Oct 8th 2010, 2:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Buildings and contents insurance

I like AAMI because of their complete replacement cover on buildings. http://www.aami.com.au/home-insuranc...ent-cover.aspx

Of course there are lots of insurers out there, so maybe look for a comparison site?
Old Oct 8th 2010, 2:45 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Family of 3
Our buildings insurance will expire when we move into our house ourselves (currently tenanted), plus we'll need contents insurance.

Any recommendations, preferably for insurance I can arrange in advance and online?

Thanks!
If you live in an area prone to floods then make sure water damage cover is included ... and scrutinise every definition of "water damage".

We are with Suncorp because it seems to provide the best coverage but it isn't cheap compared to others, mainly due to the flood cover which is included as standard.
Old Oct 8th 2010, 5:21 am
BE Forum Addict

elice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond repute

We're with GIO. Not too expensive and all done online, though they were very helpful on the phone when I had to call them about some silly paperwork for the mortgage.
Old Oct 8th 2010, 6:15 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Wendy
I like AAMI because of their complete replacement cover on buildings. http://www.aami.com.au/home-insuranc...ent-cover.aspx

Of course there are lots of insurers out there, so maybe look for a comparison site?
Same here, plus they paid out on a small claim ($800) very quickly and easily.

Old Oct 8th 2010, 6:45 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Family of 3

Thanks!
We are with the Commonwealth. Competitive each time we have renewed. Pay $55 per month for both.
Old Oct 8th 2010, 7:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Steve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to behold

I did well with Buzz Insurance recently on my car cover. Not sure if they do home.
Old Oct 10th 2010, 12:54 am
Forum Regular

Tellyaddict is just really niceTellyaddict is just really niceTellyaddict is just really niceTellyaddict is just really niceTellyaddict is just really niceTellyaddict is just really niceTellyaddict is just really niceTellyaddict is just really nice

I use AAMI and have found them to be competitive. Just received my yearly renewal and shopped around and they still came in the cheapest. The only thing I did find though was that when I did an internet comparison i.e AAMI renewal vs AAMI as a new customer it came in $70 cheaper for the same cover. Needless to say I ignored the renewal and purchased on-line with them instead.

Apparently this is not unusal as their insurance is always cheaper on-line than through renewals!! Just something to bear in mind for anyone renewing their insurance.
Old Oct 10th 2010, 1:32 am
Im a woomaaan

gobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond repute

Does anyone know of any insurers that cover contents accidental damage? I thought I was covered by RAC but their idea of accidental damage only seems to include flooding or broken windows (I discovered this after my puppy ate the carpet in ouur games room). I know back in UK accidental meant accidental damage to stuff like sofa`s etc.
Old Oct 10th 2010, 1:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Family of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks everyone.

Got online quotes from AAMI, GIO, Suncorp. AAMI about 30% cheaper than the rest BUT saving a few hundred dollars on insurance won't matter if the coverage turns out to be worse, so I'll have a read of the policy docs. Can't actually arrange it until < 30 days before we move in anyway.

Re flooding: We're about 300m back from the sea at Burns Beach, so I'm guessing the only flooding risk is Tsunami/global warming, but am I right in thinking there's some website where you can check your flood risk?
Old Oct 10th 2010, 1:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Steve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to behold

Anyone compared buzz?
http://www.thebuzzinsurance.com.au
Old Oct 10th 2010, 6:20 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by NiknAid
The only thing I did find though was that when I did an internet comparison i.e AAMI renewal vs AAMI as a new customer it came in $70 cheaper for the same cover. Needless to say I ignored the renewal and purchased on-line with them instead.

Apparently this is not unusal as their insurance is always cheaper on-line than through renewals!! Just something to bear in mind for anyone renewing their insurance.
Very true.
Do Not Renew your Car Insurance
http://www.abcdiamond.com/australia/...car-insurance/

Old Oct 10th 2010, 9:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gobbyjock
Does anyone know of any insurers that cover contents accidental damage? I thought I was covered by RAC but their idea of accidental damage only seems to include flooding or broken windows (I discovered this after my puppy ate the carpet in ouur games room). I know back in UK accidental meant accidental damage to stuff like sofa`s etc.
I got that with GIO, also got an AAMI quote including it. Does increase the price quite a lot.
Old Oct 10th 2010, 9:39 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

If you take a new policy rather than renewing the old one how does it affect multiple policy discounts?
Old Oct 10th 2010, 10:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Very true.
Do Not Renew your Car Insurance
http://www.abcdiamond.com/australia/...car-insurance/
Car insurance...if you're happy enough with online dealing then try www.bingle.com.au - very cheap compared to the rest (underwritten by AAMI)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.