Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

building your home castle?????

building your home castle?????

Old May 9th 2003, 11:48 am
Forum Regular

delboy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default building your home castle?????

i would like to know if building your own home in oz perth,has the same costs as buying, someone told me there wasnt alot of difference ,as long as you have the land,and is this hard to find in perth like it is in the uk? does it also cost a arm and leg .??
Old May 9th 2003, 11:59 am
BE Enthusiast

Loopy will become famous soon enoughLoopy will become famous soon enough

There are lots of plots of land for sale, more the further out of the city of course. Huge areas are released at a time, eg Brighton to the very north of Perth, the next area up there I think will be beach side of Marmion and then maybe Jindalee. Plots sell before you can even see them in these areas, they aren't even marked out or cleared most of the time. A hard concept buying something you can't see. In lots of other areas you see single plots for sale too.

There are hundreds of show homes to see, you pick what you like, they quote a basic price, but then there are lots of hidden extras and you pay extra for the things you add on or anything you choose above the basic package. It looks very affordable but everyone warns to be beware of the hidden extras. We know quite a few people who have built their own houses and most are happy with the outcome. Another thing to watch is time frame and make sure completion dates are clearly expressed in the contract, with heavy financial penalties if they are not met.

Would like to have a go at it one day, although from looking at show homes I'd want to pick and choose bits we like from each one and put them all together!

Loopy
Old May 9th 2003, 2:55 pm
Forum Regular

delboy is an unknown quantity at this point

thankyou for your reply lots of valued advice , do you have any idea on how much money you would need to build a 3 bedroom house including land , just a rough idea of course that would give me a idea.Thanks
Old May 9th 2003, 3:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Difficult to answer as it varies so much depending on size and location, couple of examples:-

Mindarie680sqm $330-$360,000

Hazelmere 2074sqm $165-195,000

Dianella 792sqm $295-310,000

Maylands 406sqm $290-320,000

Two Rocks (north of Perth, poss good investment for future) 810sqm $95,000

Just a few I found. Can't remember exact new home prices but you could get some nice ones for the $95,000 mark.

Hope that helps

Loopy
Old May 9th 2003, 3:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

karawara88 is an unknown quantity at this point

Delboy

Take a look at http://www.movingdownunder.co.uk/files/housing.php

The top link is for Dale Alcock they have their showhouses on there all different prices designs etc.

Also anyone know if you can get acreage in Perth (outskirts of) I, notice a lot of stuff about it in Brisbane, but nothing in WA.

We are thinking of getting a place with a bit of land away from surburbia, possibly down Bunbury way or open to suggestions.

(I do know how far Bunbury is from Perth, but I said Perth as a generlisation as WA is on the larger side of things. !!)

Last edited by karawara88; May 9th 2003 at 3:34 pm.
Old May 10th 2003, 12:19 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by Loopy
Difficult to answer as it varies so much depending on size and location, couple of examples:-

Mindarie680sqm $330-$360,000

Hazelmere 2074sqm $165-195,000

Dianella 792sqm $295-310,000

Maylands 406sqm $290-320,000

Two Rocks (north of Perth, poss good investment for future) 810sqm $95,000

Just a few I found. Can't remember exact new home prices but you could get some nice ones for the $95,000 mark.

Hope that helps

Loopy

$95,000 to build a house now would be very low.

Newspaper article today (in Qld suggesting building costs had gone up 20-30%) in last year. Over here the basic house without all the extras, carpet, tiles, drive, fence landscape etc would be at least $140,000. That would be the advertised price. Myself I would allow at least an extra 10 for groundworks and 20-30 for finishing. Unless Perth is very different 95 would not go far at all.
Old May 10th 2003, 10:34 am
BE Enthusiast

Dotty, in the paper today they are from as little as $85,000.
I would expect there are a lot of hidden costs though.

Loopy
Old May 10th 2003, 1:04 pm
No wuckin furries mate

brox is an unknown quantity at this point

HI

We Have just moved down to Bunbury (last week) and have found land very reasonable. A 1/4 acre block on a nice estate is just $80. The house prices start from around $80 and go up to what you can afford. You need to add on about $7 for site costs and roughly $20 to $30 for extras like air con, better flooring ect. Saying all that you can buy a very good house for around $200 and save yourself time and stress. Still I carnt think of anything better than having your very own house built for you knowing you have it exactly as you want it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!But thats just me!!

Mrs Brox
Old May 12th 2003, 2:56 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: building your home castle?????

Originally posted by delboy
i would like to know if building your own home in oz perth,has the same costs as buying, someone told me there wasnt alot of difference ,as long as you have the land,and is this hard to find in perth like it is in the uk? does it also cost a arm and leg .??
Lots of good advice here things to factor in one is earthworks could cost you between $3k -$60k or more get a price before you build , and the extras will cost plus put $30k in the bank to finish off.
The best blocks are above $200k so if you want a return you will need to spent at lest than again on the house , rule of thumb is home should cost at lest the same as the block or you will not get a true rate of return.

Old May 12th 2003, 3:02 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Loopy
There are lots of plots of land for sale, more the further out of the city of course. Huge areas are released at a time, eg Brighton to the very north of Perth, the next area up there I think will be beach side of Marmion and then maybe Jindalee. Plots sell before you can even see them in these areas, they aren't even marked out or cleared most of the time. A hard concept buying something you can't see. In lots of other areas you see single plots for sale too.

Loopy
Watch Brighton Beach the road going into Jindalee is okay it will be the only good part the rest has Homes West homes mixed into the Butler suburb.
Jindalee will be big the Yankies own 90% of it and will make it sort after.

Old May 12th 2003, 3:11 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

Perth sounds cheap compared to QLD.

Get these increases. Land in same street Buderim. 2001 $68,000, 2002 130,000, next release blocks between $180,000 and $220,000. Ocean view land we bought for $108,000 last year, just got offered $400,000 for it, my husband laughed and told them to come back with 450 and they are now consdering it, bear in mind this is without a house.

But wherever you are beware the cheap building ad prices. We caught one lot out with an ad of $98,000 the price rapidly escalated by $30,000 just to get it to meet Council Regulations. Like cars, ad for $31,000 car escalated to $40,000 just to get it on the road, pay taxes and put in air cond. Ads here are not quite as well regulated as in the UK.
Old May 12th 2003, 3:34 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all
Default Re: building your home castle?????

Originally posted by delboy
I'm building here in Brisbane so maybe this is not much help to you - but anyway, we found it's cheaper to build than buy (P.S I bought my land/plot almost two years ago - before the boom ) - And you've a nice modern house instead of an old house, plus everything is done the way you want it.

Difference is - no stamp duty on the building only the plot of land, old houses you pay stamp duty on the whole (house and land).

Advertised costs of the building (not land) - start from as low as $84,000 for a 4 bed - be warned!!!! - add at lthe very, very, least another 20 thou to any cost - this is the very least - you'll be without driveways and fly screens, tiles and such with this price! It's more like 40 thou to 50 thou realistically to make it liveable.

cheers

P.S - I won't tell you how much we paid for our land which backs onto a reserve - or you'll cry. We were very lucky and bought it before the boom, it was a private sale.
For once hubby was right in pushing me into buying something, not often he's right

But yes land costs have practically doubled in the past year and half - two years here. It's the land cost which reflects the house price here - which I supose can be said for anywhere in the world.

Last edited by Ceri; May 12th 2003 at 4:07 am.