Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

building a wooden cabin chalet in the garden!!!

building a wooden cabin chalet in the garden!!!

Old Dec 17th 2007, 10:05 am
Niamh,Paul + 4 :)

Baby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to behold
Default building a wooden cabin chalet in the garden!!!

Hey
i was wondering if any one knew any thing about building a log/wooden cabin/chalet in the garden just big enough for when the visitors come over im thinking one bedroom with shower may be a small kitchen depending on cost, I can find loads of web sites for uk and Ireland but none for Australia.

Im planning ahead as a lot of my family are coming over and planning on staying for at least 3 months at a time so any information would be great
Old Dec 17th 2007, 10:11 am
The Brains

ray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to all
Default Re: building a wooden cabin chalet in the garden!!!

Originally Posted by Baby75
Hey
i was wondering if any one knew any thing about building a log/wooden cabin/chalet in the garden just big enough for when the visitors come over im thinking one bedroom with shower may be a small kitchen depending on cost, I can find loads of web sites for uk and Ireland but none for Australia.

Im planning ahead as a lot of my family are coming over and planning on staying for at least 3 months at a time so any information would be great
I think their more into shreds than log cabins. I have seen several sheds which resemble hangers in peoples gardens with what looks like accomodation attached/included in the structure.
Old Dec 17th 2007, 10:15 am

Baby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by ray2gill
I think their more into shreds than log cabins. I have seen several sheds which resemble hangers in peoples gardens with what looks like accomodation attached/included in the structure.
yea i guess i just have to get the wording right i know they use a lot of wood to build any way
Old Dec 17th 2007, 10:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Hey

This might be a bit more than what you require:

http://www.prebuilt.com.au/index.php...sectionID=6485

But a google search on prefab housing would offer up more results.

I've seen temp accomodation of the type you're after advertised in steel, resembling a shipping container but can't think where at the minute.

Log chalets I've never seen advertised.

Here's oe for around $25k:

http://www.ts1-project.com/index.html

Last edited by spartacus; Dec 17th 2007 at 10:43 am.
Old Dec 17th 2007, 10:44 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Hey

Our shire council has strict rules governing multiple dwellings on the one title. You can have them though there are often silly pedantic rules you have to adhere to. Some friends of ours applied to build a second home on their 40 acre block for their parents to live in, council initially refused them. After taking advice they applied for permission to build a caretakers cottage This was approved with the proviso that it could not have a laundry making it reliant upon the main dwelling for washing clothes etc.
There are easier ways around doing what you want to do i.e building an American style barn with a mezzanine floor or building in underneath a high set home to create a "granny flat". Some homes even have guest wings already built. If the worst comes to the worst you could always stick them in one of those 40' shipping containers they turn into portable accommodation, do a search for "Donga's"
Old Dec 17th 2007, 10:47 am

Originally Posted by cresta57
Our shire council has strict rules governing multiple dwellings on the one title. You can have them though there are often silly pedantic rules you have to adhere to. Some friends of ours applied to build a second home on their 40 acre block for their parents to live in, council initially refused them. After taking advice they applied for permission to build a caretakers cottage This was approved with the proviso that it could not have a laundry making it reliant upon the main dwelling for washing clothes etc.
There are easier ways around doing what you want to do i.e building an American style barn with a mezzanine floor or building in underneath a high set home to create a "granny flat". Some homes even have guest wings already built. If the worst comes to the worst you could always stick them in one of those 40' shipping containers they turn into portable accommodation, do a search for "Donga's"

Great Thanks
Old Dec 18th 2007, 10:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cresta57
Good tips.

Once the kids are out of nappies I'm going to be building a shed. From the ground up - is there any other way? Stumps, timber framing, cladding. Can't wait! Won't be going the residential option - it's for play and work.
Old Dec 18th 2007, 10:30 am
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Yurt

http://site.yurtworks.com.au/
Old Dec 18th 2007, 1:35 pm
South Yarra Sheila

JoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Timber Floor Au
Fab-now I'll have somewhere to stick the husband & his gadgets
Old Dec 18th 2007, 6:44 pm
Forum Regular

Sharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant future

Try http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/ for info. Its an Australian based site. Lots of info especially renovations and lots of woodwork related bits.