Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Building Services/Construction engineers - sponsorship

Building Services/Construction engineers - sponsorship

Old Sep 24th 2008, 11:26 am
BE Enthusiast

cookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to all
Default Building Services/Construction engineers - sponsorship

We were all set to move over the Brisbane at the end of last year on a 457 when the transfer through my husband's employer fell through.

We both really want to try again, but the timescales and cost of an independent skilled visa have put us off doing it that way.

My husband is a building services project manager (degree qualified engineer) which I understand is still a role that is in demand.

Has anyone had any experience of finding an employer who was willing to provide sponsorship? We have a contact through a family friend in a recruitment consultancy who we are contacting next week and are also planning on talking to Anders Elite who seem to deal with this sort of recruitment.

Basically I'm looking to hear positive (and negative) stories of peoples experiences trying to do this. After being so gutted when it all fell through last time, I don't want to get my hopes up, but this is something we both really want.
Old Sep 24th 2008, 2:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

jimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to all
Default Re: Building Services/Construction engineers - sponsorship

Easiest way is to get out here on a working holiday visa if you're young enough and work for a company and get them to sponsor you, that's what I did. If not i'd go to an international company that has offices in both countries and see what they say. I used to work in building services and off the top of my head can think of Maunsell, Norman Disney Young and Arup. If he can work in process engineering it would be easier as all the global firms such as WorleyParsons, Bechtel, Fluor, SKM etc have offices in the UK. Approach them and see what they have to say. Agents could help but they'll only end up costing you more if you can do without it's much better.
Old Sep 24th 2008, 2:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

cookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to all
Default Re: Building Services/Construction engineers - sponsorship

Thanks - he's too old for the working holiday visa, and to be honest I'd prefer things to be a bit more secure - ie. coming over with a job for him already.

Definitely don't want to go down the agent route - I think they charge a lot of money for what one can usually work out on your own if you have a modicum of sense.

It's useful to have those companies - will note them down, and also mention process engineering to him.

I don't suppose we have anything to lose by approaching them directly. He currently works for a company that has a base in Brisbane too, but after the fiasco with them at the end of last year, that's not really an option now.