Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

A Building question!!!!!

A Building question!!!!!

Old Mar 26th 2007, 1:39 am
Ready to go home!!!

Ginger1002 has a brilliant futureGinger1002 has a brilliant futureGinger1002 has a brilliant futureGinger1002 has a brilliant futureGinger1002 has a brilliant futureGinger1002 has a brilliant futureGinger1002 has a brilliant future
Default A Building question!!!!!

Hi all,

We are in the process of having our house built and it has now been 12 days since the slab was laid and there is still no sign of a timber frame going up. Is this a normal amount of time to wait for the slab to dry or are my builders stupidly slow??

Any answers would be great

Emma
Old Mar 26th 2007, 1:44 am
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A Building question!!!!!

Not sure on timber framed houses, but I know our slab was left for a good 3-4 weeks to properly dry out before construction started (ours is double brick though)
Old Mar 26th 2007, 1:53 am
Full Throttle

stevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ginger1002
Hi all,

We are in the process of having our house built and it has now been 12 days since the slab was laid and there is still no sign of a timber frame going up. Is this a normal amount of time to wait for the slab to dry or are my builders stupidly slow??

Emma

Timber frame or not, 28 days is the accepted amount of time for concrete to fully cure.
Old Mar 26th 2007, 2:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Teliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,

Emma
Our steel frame went up about 2 days after they had poured the concrete. apparently the slab is at about 96% of its strength by that time and so is strong enough for people to walk around on it and work to continue and then it just slowly drys out completely over the next few weeks.
Old Mar 26th 2007, 4:14 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't think 12 days is excessive, but if nothing is happening by three weeks I'd want to know why!
Old Mar 26th 2007, 4:32 am
Forum Regular

alexleeson has a reputation beyond reputealexleeson has a reputation beyond reputealexleeson has a reputation beyond reputealexleeson has a reputation beyond reputealexleeson has a reputation beyond reputealexleeson has a reputation beyond reputealexleeson has a reputation beyond reputealexleeson has a reputation beyond reputealexleeson has a reputation beyond reputealexleeson has a reputation beyond reputealexleeson has a reputation beyond repute

I am building a house currently.

The slab went down and about 14 days later the frame started going up.

We found the brickwork took much longer than expected, but the quality/neatness of the brickwork stands out compared to other houses going up, and other stuff was getting done.

Now we are three weeks ahead of schedule... :-)
Old Mar 26th 2007, 5:57 am
Karma earned, not whored

CadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of light

Hi all,

Emma
Brings the memories flooding back, you will be w-a-i-t-i-n-g for every single phase of the build. Just keep on top of the builders, and be in their face as much as you can, that way you will get priority over others who are less persuasive and irritating.
Old Mar 26th 2007, 8:01 am
Forum Regular

pogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nice

Originally Posted by CadburysFingers
Brings the memories flooding back, you will be w-a-i-t-i-n-g for every single phase of the build. Just keep on top of the builders, and be in their face as much as you can, that way you will get priority over others who are less persuasive and irritating.
And talked about as soon as you have left the site !!! :