Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Building a house in NZ

Wikiposts

Building a house in NZ

Old Jul 22nd 2003, 10:31 am
NZ or Bust!

Sazzle is an unknown quantity at this point

Building in stone etc.. a nice idea, but a little bit of movement in the ground from, say, an earthquake and your building is no longer!

An Englishman's home, rebuilt lock, stock and resistant brick in an earthquake zone becomes his/her tomb in even a minor rumble.

But, enjoy the planning and building. We look forward to our move
Old Jul 22nd 2003, 10:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Kiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by Sazzle
Building in stone etc.. a nice idea, but a little bit of movement in the ground from, say, an earthquake and your building is no longer!

An Englishman's home, rebuilt lock, stock and resistant brick in an earthquake zone becomes his/her tomb in even a minor rumble.

But, enjoy the planning and building. We look forward to our move
At least brick houses are becomming more popular in NZ even with the risk of frequent (if only small earthquakes, I think hundreds per year).

I thought the theory was you put in a concrete slab and build on that, if an earthquake occurs the slab moves as one with the house nice and safe sitting on it. Only what I've read and heard.
Old Jul 22nd 2003, 11:13 am
NZ or Bust!

Sazzle is an unknown quantity at this point

Often brick houses there are also timber framed.... And the floors and roof materials are "tied" into the structure..
But hey, I just look at the house I am in now and think.. thank heavens I'm not in turkey, or any other movement zone.. flat as pancakes we would be.
Old Jul 22nd 2003, 7:12 pm
farmer nr Queenstown NZ

deedee is on a distinguished road

the planning people did'nt think it was a problem,neither did i as its only single storey and the walls will be over two feet thick and the rooms are large.I dare say no amount of building code will save anyone in Clyde,Alexandra or Cromwell if theres a really big earthquake....you would have to be a really good swimmer
Old Jul 23rd 2003, 3:16 am
Just Joined

tinners is an unknown quantity at this point
Default New Houses

Here is a site that will help you.

www.constructionsite.info/index.html

Click on n.z then manufactures, suppliers etc then on house builders.