Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Building a House

Building a House

Old Apr 12th 2012, 9:16 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Building a House

Originally Posted by Lois1
My husband is a builder/carpenter by trade, and the whole idea of letting someone else build his house is very alien to him!
Any reason you didn't decide to build your house yourselves as owner builders?

BB
Old Apr 12th 2012, 9:34 pm
Forum Regular

Lois1 is just really niceLois1 is just really niceLois1 is just really niceLois1 is just really niceLois1 is just really niceLois1 is just really niceLois1 is just really niceLois1 is just really nice
Default Re: Building a House

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
Any reason you didn't decide to build your house yourselves as owner builders?

BB
Yes, we did contemplate doing this after being there a couple of years when OH more famiiar with the procedures, regs, sub-contractor contacts established etc etc. And may well do in the future, but for now we decided to opt for this decision.
Old Apr 12th 2012, 9:37 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, we did contemplate doing this after being there a couple of years when OH more famiiar with the procedures, regs, sub-contractor contacts established etc etc. And may well do in the future, but for now we decided to opt for this decision.
mmmm procedures, regs, sub-cotractor contracts.....

I built my house as an OB and didn't see any of those

BB
Old Apr 12th 2012, 9:41 pm
Forum Regular

Lois1 is just really niceLois1 is just really niceLois1 is just really niceLois1 is just really niceLois1 is just really niceLois1 is just really niceLois1 is just really niceLois1 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
mmmm procedures, regs, sub-cotractor contracts.....

I built my house as an OB and didn't see any of those

BB
just a case of getting familiar with the system i guess, but he will be pleased to hear that for the future then ;-)
Old Apr 12th 2012, 10:14 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

It has to have regular checks at certain stages before releasing payments and this would mean us having to sort out a suveyor while in the UK (any recommendations !??). Another reason really why we are thinking of getting a rental and being there to oversee it?

My husband is a builder/carpenter by trade, and the whole idea of letting someone else build his house is very alien to him!
It doesn't have to be a surveyer I don't think. The checks are carried out by the local authorities (gas, water, electric, etc). At least that's what happened with us. We never hired anyone to do checks.

I think what people are saying is that you, or someone you trust should be making regular visits to site to take a look around. Do you know anyone in Perth (not sure where you're building) who could pop around to your site once a week or so?

Thankfully we lived about 5 minutes from where we built and like Japonica found faults that we could nip in the bud. Here's a picture of some of the brickwork we found when they started. We also found that the electrician had put a bunch of lights in the wrong places and that they had put the light switches where interior doors were going to go later so they had to be moved. Little things, but they would have been hassles later had we not caught them before we moved in.
Attached Thumbnails Building a House-inside-corner-bedroom-1.jpg  
Old Apr 13th 2012, 1:40 am

ukecadet is an unknown quantity at this point

Building a House-24032012472.jpgThis is photo is typical of the lack of care in the building industry today.
I was fixing someone else's f### up.
How hard can it be to cut a hole in a door?
He's had 3 go's at it and in the process totally undermined the strength of the door.One kick and you're in.
Old Apr 13th 2012, 2:06 am
Forum Regular

LeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really nice

ukecadet, what is that hole all about! Surely it should be routered in from the edge? Or is this standard practice here in Oz?
Old Apr 13th 2012, 2:28 am

ukecadet is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by LeeWillo
ukecadet, what is that hole all about! Surely it should be routered in from the edge? Or is this standard practice here in Oz?
Bad isn't it? No router required,just drill from either side with the right sized hole saw and in the correct place;something that this 'carpenter' has yet to master.
A few weeks ago I had to replace the wall of a shower and lounge wall because the 'licensed' plumber had not connected the shower tray to the waste pipe.The water was just pooling under the tray.In no time at all it had soaked the plasterboard in the shower and lounge.I had to rip the the whole thing out.Fix shower, re-plaster,re-tile and paint.Keeps me busy.

Last edited by ukecadet; Apr 13th 2012 at 2:41 am.
Old Apr 13th 2012, 3:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Japonica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond repute

Good grief. This thread's going to turn into a builders bloopers one...

Inspired by the previous pics, thought I'd post two of our build issues mentioned earlier.

Note to builders: that skinny portion at the back of the cabinet that sits next to the range top is not a handle and just gluing it back on is not okay.
Attached Thumbnails Building a House-img_4826.jpg   Building a House-img_4903.jpg  
Old Apr 13th 2012, 3:34 am
Forum Regular

LeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really nice

We are thinking of building our own too, I may have to drop in frequently. I work in construction (Quantity Surveyor), normally in the UK I drop that in so they know not to try it on. Hopefully that would be the same here.
Old Apr 13th 2012, 3:35 am
Forum Regular

ukecadet, i just clicked on the thumbnail and looked at the picture properly, it is even worse than I first thought!
Old Apr 13th 2012, 4:02 am
BE Forum Addict

itigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond repute

We are getting more and more nervous about building now! We have a great plot. Just trawling through the best way to do it. With a friend's advice (who has done LOADS of housebuilding) we are going the survey, designer, quantity surveyor, tender route. A lot more groundwork for us but he assures us we will have a more solid contract and easier time with the budget than signing up with a builder.

It is very exciting, but I think the stress is going to be huge! Luckily, we are the sort of people who once we've decided on things, are unlikely to want to make changes so this should help.........
Old Apr 13th 2012, 5:21 am
Forum Regular

Itigo, I think that idea is all well and good but may be best just find a builder with a good reputation and references. The whole survey, designer, QS route could prove costly. Plus you would need to ensure you get good surveyors and architects in the first place. These professionals can fail and cause problems too you know. The builder will have a standard contract. Make sure everything you agree is in there, then take it to a construction lawyer or someone to look over it to make sure you are protected, and it gives avenues to go down to arbitrate in case of disagreement.
Old Apr 13th 2012, 7:21 am
Forum Regular

perth tiger is a name known to allperth tiger is a name known to allperth tiger is a name known to allperth tiger is a name known to allperth tiger is a name known to allperth tiger is a name known to allperth tiger is a name known to allperth tiger is a name known to allperth tiger is a name known to allperth tiger is a name known to allperth tiger is a name known to all

there are no statuary checks done on housing in wa. the sparky is resp for the electrics the plumber for the plumbing etc.
if you want your build checked you need to have some idea of building or employ someone to check it for you.
project builders build to very tight margins and screw their trades endlessly. if you want a the best standard of build then you need to employ a more individual builder but he will cost a lot more
telling a superviser on site that you are a qs will mean very little to him. he doesnt deal with them and would doubt they knew anything at all about home building.
saying all that though the houses in wa are built to a pretty good standard
Old Apr 13th 2012, 7:37 am
Forum Regular

After reading all the posts i'm more inclined to get on the next plane over!

OH would feel more comfortable being there too to check up ! His a bit of a perfectionist so will ease his mind, the term "that will do" is not in his vocabulary!

Hopefully they will stick to the schedule for handover, as we coud be homeless towards the end!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.