Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

building a house

building a house

Old Oct 18th 2007, 9:11 am
youngy73

youngy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond repute
Default building a house

Any particular features you would go for and why?
Old Oct 18th 2007, 9:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Mairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: building a house

Originally Posted by youngy73
Sound Proof System between the Floors.
Old Oct 18th 2007, 9:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Mairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of light

And one of those stereo systems for around the house esp in the bathroom. Went to an expo last year and they had a smart home system. For example a remote control which turn off/on lights in the house or play music or Tv into any room. For example on your child's birthday you can automatically from your bedroom open the curtains in their room and play happy birthday with two hits on a remote control not having to move from your bed!!! Sweet!!
Old Oct 18th 2007, 9:24 am
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Insulate the walls.
Insulate bathrooms, media rooms and the like with sound proof batts.

Solar water
Solar power if i could afford, $45k for the panels

Whirlybirds on the roof, to give better cross ventillation.

< we built, and did everything Micky Mouse ( in oz means TOP NOTCH ) not as we first thought, mickey mouse=crap and dodgy..

So kinda very happy with what we did, and how we did it.

Run all media cables, broadband points etc at framing stage

Steve
Old Oct 18th 2007, 9:25 am
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mairead
And one of those stereo systems for around the house esp in the bathroom. Went to an expo last year and they had a smart home system. For example a remote control which turn off/on lights in the house or play music or Tv into any room. For example on your child's birthday you can automatically from your bedroom open the curtains in their room and play happy birthday with two hits on a remote control not having to move from your bed!!! Sweet!!
Its the big thing here at the moment, SmartWired homes
Old Oct 18th 2007, 11:36 am
Forum Regular

tinus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Timber Floor Au
Its the big thing here at the moment, SmartWired homes
Anyone know if it's allowed in QLD or any other state to have a big basement which is the size of the house? ( like they have in the U.S.A. for example. ) So you can have a home theatre room and a bar with pooltable, Fitness room etc. etc. in there.

If so, that's what I would like to have.
Old Oct 18th 2007, 12:01 pm
youngy73

youngy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond repute

Insulate the walls.
Insulate bathrooms, media rooms and the like with sound proof batts.

Solar water
Solar power if i could afford, $45k for the panels

Whirlybirds on the roof, to give better cross ventillation.

< we built, and did everything Micky Mouse ( in oz means TOP NOTCH ) not as we first thought, mickey mouse=crap and dodgy..

So kinda very happy with what we did, and how we did it.

Run all media cables, broadband points etc at framing stage

Steve
im a fan of the whirly birds
Old Oct 18th 2007, 12:30 pm
I need a beer.....

snappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to behold

The largest undercover outdoor area you could afford, deep eaves for the far Norths' weather. Pool close at hand for the obvious reason.

Loving the high gloss look kitchens but stay away from two pack stuff as it chips very easily and go the new gloss laminates.

A nice spa bath in the master ensuite for spoiling yourself after a long day.

A good sound system, I quite like the Bose and Denon as they have a good range of speakers and amps

Cbus electrical system to set the mood with the touch of a button. We're doing half the house with this but have it wired that we can add to the system at a later stage.

An electric drop down projector screen....hubbies wish list along with the Bose and Denon!

Solar panels for hot water but the tank on the roof so that if the power goes out you still have hot water. I wish we could have gone total solar power but we couldn't afford to. We are also setting up the house so that we could switch over to a generator if the power goes out (this is a problem for us every now and then where we live)

Oooo and a Smeg supersonic stand alone oven with an eight burner

If space and money was no object then a good outdoor cooking set up, such as a proper sink (not just a hose attached to a BBQ), a good beer or wine fridge and all close to the pool!

A separate office is also a good idea to have as well.

Internet access throughout the house and set up your own local network.

Decent sized showers, don't skimp on the shower space!
Old Oct 18th 2007, 8:01 pm
youngy73

Originally Posted by snappy
The largest undercover outdoor area you could afford, deep eaves for the far Norths' weather. Pool close at hand for the obvious reason.

Loving the high gloss look kitchens but stay away from two pack stuff as it chips very easily and go the new gloss laminates.

A nice spa bath in the master ensuite for spoiling yourself after a long day.

A good sound system, I quite like the Bose and Denon as they have a good range of speakers and amps

Cbus electrical system to set the mood with the touch of a button. We're doing half the house with this but have it wired that we can add to the system at a later stage.

An electric drop down projector screen....hubbies wish list along with the Bose and Denon!

Solar panels for hot water but the tank on the roof so that if the power goes out you still have hot water. I wish we could have gone total solar power but we couldn't afford to. We are also setting up the house so that we could switch over to a generator if the power goes out (this is a problem for us every now and then where we live)

Oooo and a Smeg supersonic stand alone oven with an eight burner

If space and money was no object then a good outdoor cooking set up, such as a proper sink (not just a hose attached to a BBQ), a good beer or wine fridge and all close to the pool!

A separate office is also a good idea to have as well.

Internet access throughout the house and set up your own local network.

Decent sized showers, don't skimp on the shower space!
thanks snappy. there are some good ideas in there. i had already got some of those ideas penciled in. we are putting a small bathroom off the patio and pool as i hate people in and out of the house when we are entertaining and going for 900 eves to keep the sun off. just one thing though and im sure your sparky will know how to do it ( ive seen a few bodgy jobs). figure out what you want your genny to power, ie.the fridges and a couple of power points and put them on a seperate circuit so that is all you can power. you probably wont have a genny that will power the house and it is for emergencies. i have seen a few now where they are wired to power the whole house with a 2kva genny and no circuit protection.
Old Oct 18th 2007, 8:54 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by tinus
Anyone know if it's allowed in QLD or any other state to have a big basement which is the size of the house? ( like they have in the U.S.A. for example. ) So you can have a home theatre room and a bar with pooltable, Fitness room etc. etc. in there.

If so, that's what I would like to have.

I spose you could, have never seen it tho.

Generally, ppl who own a qld'er do a BUILT UNDER, and enclose the area under the home ( which is on stumps ( some have home raised to do this )) and build underneath the house, but on top of the ground
Old Oct 18th 2007, 9:21 pm
I need a beer.....

snappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to behold

thanks snappy. there are some good ideas in there. i had already got some of those ideas penciled in. we are putting a small bathroom off the patio and pool as i hate people in and out of the house when we are entertaining and going for 900 eves to keep the sun off. just one thing though and im sure your sparky will know how to do it ( ive seen a few bodgy jobs). figure out what you want your genny to power, ie.the fridges and a couple of power points and put them on a seperate circuit so that is all you can power. you probably wont have a genny that will power the house and it is for emergencies. i have seen a few now where they are wired to power the whole house with a 2kva genny and no circuit protection.
That is what he was on about doing although he is a friend and getting anything in set in stone is a bit hard! The bathroom off the pool is a good idea, we set up our place that no one has to go into the bedroom building of the house as that is something that drives me insane having people walk past my kids stinking bedrooms to use the loo.

The other thing is try to design the house so there is easy access into the kitchen from the car port as there is nothing worse than dragging shopping through a house. Plus have a good sized linen cupboard by the bedrooms.
Old Oct 19th 2007, 12:12 am
Banned

2kva isnt very powerful, for fridges and the like.

You can get an autoswitch , that flicks over to gene power.

Theres a fella on ebay sells diesel genes.. for around 1k
Old Oct 19th 2007, 7:11 am
youngy73

2kva isnt very powerful, for fridges and the like.

You can get an autoswitch , that flicks over to gene power.

Theres a fella on ebay sells diesel genes.. for around 1k
that was my point. i see it time and time again.
Old Oct 19th 2007, 9:06 am
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

im a fan of the whirly birds
I'm a fan of birds