Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Building extensions

Building extensions

Old Jan 7th 2007, 8:02 pm
Emily, Luke and Libby

lewandkate has much to be proud oflewandkate has much to be proud oflewandkate has much to be proud oflewandkate has much to be proud oflewandkate has much to be proud oflewandkate has much to be proud oflewandkate has much to be proud oflewandkate has much to be proud oflewandkate has much to be proud oflewandkate has much to be proud oflewandkate has much to be proud of
Default Building extensions

We have been thinking about the possibility of buying a house, although not to sure what we can afford until we are there.

How easy is it to get planning for an extension?
Has anyone done anything like this before?

Heading for Perth as Carpenter if I was to do a timber framed extension what sort of planning would I need?

Lew
Old Jan 7th 2007, 8:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

kimi has much to be proud ofkimi has much to be proud ofkimi has much to be proud ofkimi has much to be proud ofkimi has much to be proud ofkimi has much to be proud ofkimi has much to be proud ofkimi has much to be proud ofkimi has much to be proud ofkimi has much to be proud ofkimi has much to be proud of
Default Re: Building extensions

Hi

We recently added an extra bedroom onto our house.

Got a quote from the builder, he submitted all plans, 4 weeks later got the approval and job done. We had the room, the building is still not touching the border of the block so I suppose it was just a straight forward job.

Dont know about a wooden extention, we have another house that is wooden and we have thought about extending that and from what we understand its the same process but I dont know about adding a wooden extention onto a brick house.

HTH
Old Jan 8th 2007, 5:09 pm
Emily, Luke and Libby

lewandkate has much to be proud oflewandkate has much to be proud oflewandkate has much to be proud oflewandkate has much to be proud oflewandkate has much to be proud oflewandkate has much to be proud oflewandkate has much to be proud oflewandkate has much to be proud oflewandkate has much to be proud oflewandkate has much to be proud oflewandkate has much to be proud of

thanks
just thinking about keeping the cost down and buying a 2 bed and then making it into a 3 bed
any idea of costs?
Old Jan 8th 2007, 9:25 pm
I need a beer.....

snappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by lewandkate
thanks
just thinking about keeping the cost down and buying a 2 bed and then making it into a 3 bed
any idea of costs?
http://forum.homeone.com.au/index.php this forum is very useful.

One thing I would say though it isn't like building in the UK you need to get a qualified builder in or you need to sit a quick owner builder course if the over all cost of the build is something like above $11,000 (not too sure for WA so that will be something you will have to look into)

Assuming it will cost more than that and you decide to do it yourself....The course costs around $300 and can be done by correspondence or you can go on a weekend course. You then apply for a owner builder number which must be displayed outside your house which costs something like another couple of hundred bucks.

You need to get plans drawn up (price varies heaps so look around), either send in a builders contract with the plans or your summary to the local council to get approved.

Then shop around for materials - a lot fo places will cost things up off your plan if you take it in also if you do it yourself then you will gaint he savings from paying the bill before 30 days instead of the builder getting the savings.

You need to have a qualified plumber and electrician to do any work so you need one with a licence number.

Sasha
Old Jan 8th 2007, 10:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

SBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud of

Please do be careful of who carries out work on your extension although we've only been here a short while.70% of my work has been sorting out other builders shoddy work(even those who have showed certs).Take time in finding a builder with rep,ask around as much as poss .

NB. Chippies who are wanting decent screws(Wurth) up the Sunny Coast way get in touch ..I have found a supplier!!! took me 6 months
Old Jun 3rd 2007, 7:59 am
Forum Regular

andym79 is a jewel in the roughandym79 is a jewel in the roughandym79 is a jewel in the roughandym79 is a jewel in the rough

What if you could do it for less than $11,000?

What work must be carried out by a licenced tradesman? Can concrete slabs and timber frames be erected without a licence? Is a licence required for fitting guttering and downpipes, roofing, plasterboarding?

As an electrician can you doing the wiring yourself as long as your licenced?

Who do you need to contact about home builder licence?
Old Jun 3rd 2007, 8:17 am

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by andym79
What if you could do it for less than $11,000?

What work must be carried out by a licenced tradesman? Can concrete slabs and timber frames be erected without a licence? Is a licence required for fitting guttering and downpipes, roofing, plasterboarding?

As an electrician can you doing the wiring yourself as long as your licenced?

Who do you need to contact about home builder licence?
The cost is how much it would be for getting tradesmen to do the job.

Doesnt matter what an extension is built out of, need to get council approval for any extensions.

Plumbing, electrical are the only ones that need a license to be done buy or certified by.
Old Jun 3rd 2007, 8:34 am
Forum Regular

andym79 is a jewel in the roughandym79 is a jewel in the roughandym79 is a jewel in the roughandym79 is a jewel in the rough

So if I did an owner builder course and got an owner builder number. Can I build the extension myself, provided it meets all relevant building regulations?

As I said I am an electrician so could I do the electrical myself or does it need to be certified by another electrician?

What aspects of plumbing are licenced? Is foul water drainage licenced, is rainwater drainage licenced, is the installation of hot and cold water pipes licenced, the installation of fittings i.e. baths toliets and basins?

Because as we know you can do all of that yourself here, its just gas and oil they don't let you touch!

Could I get a bedroom ensuite extension for $40,000 do you think?
Old Jun 3rd 2007, 8:42 am
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

So if I did an owner builder course and got an owner builder number. Can I build the extension myself, provided it meets all relevant building regulations?

As I said I am an electrician so could I do the electrical myself or does it need to be certified by another electrician?

What aspects of plumbing are licenced? Is foul water drainage licenced, is rainwater drainage licenced, is the installation of hot and cold water pipes licenced, the installation of fittings i.e. baths toliets and basins?

Because as we know you can do all of that yourself here, its just gas and oil they don't let you touch!

as a sparkie you dont need to do the course mate

as we are classed as a proffesion out here ( quite right too )

see

http://www.bsa.qld.gov.au/Home/Consu...Exemptions.htm

and

http://www.bsa.qld.gov.au/Home/Consumers/OwnerBuilders/

ps for qld only
Old Jun 3rd 2007, 8:46 am

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

As I said I am an electrician so could I do the electrical myself or does it need to be certified by another electrician? YES YOU CAN

What aspects of plumbing are licenced? Is foul water drainage licenced, is rainwater drainage licenced, is the installation of hot and cold water pipes licenced, the installation of fittings i.e. baths toliets and basins? yes

YES
Old Jun 3rd 2007, 8:56 am
Forum Regular

I am a bit confused now.

So are you saying electricians don't need to do the owner builder course steve'o or that I can wire my own house?

Ah it seems with drainage it depends on which state, in ACT, QLD, NT, NSW and VIC drainage must be done by a licenced installer, in the other states it doesn't!

Same for a carpenter only needs to be licenced in NSW and QLD!

Bricklayer licences compulsory in NSW; unless the work undertaken is less than $1100 in QLD, $5,000 in TAS and VIC and $12,000 in NT; no licence is required in SA or WA.

Plumbing in all but SA (I can't find any trade but electrical that needs to be).

Roof plumbing compulsory in all but SA and TAS!

Roofing compulsory in NSW, QLD and WA, and unleess less than $12,000 in NT.

Plastering compulsory NSW and QLD unless under $1100 and NT unless under $12,000.

It seems that if you want to self build in NSW and QLD forget it!

Last edited by andym79; Jun 3rd 2007 at 9:27 am.
Old Jun 3rd 2007, 9:02 am
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

I am a bit confused now.

So are you saying electricians don't need to do the owner builder course steve'o or that I can wire my own house?

Plumbing, so I can only do rainwater drainage myself? The rest is get a plumber?
you dont need to do the owner builders course
you get an exemption as you have a recognised building proffession
see the links in my last post

and you can wire your own home ( but you will need a mechanics licence to do this )

taken for qld electrical safty regs #

(3) However, a person does not conduct a business or undertaking
that includes the performance of electrical work only because
the person—
(a) is a licensed electrical mechanic who—
(i) performs electrical work for the person or a relative
of the person at premises owned or occupied by the
person or relative; or

legalese ha

basically means you can wire your own or a relatives property providing you or your relative own or occupy the premises and you dont get paid otherwise you also need a contractors licence

Last edited by steve`o; Jun 3rd 2007 at 9:10 am. Reason: added some more
Old Jun 3rd 2007, 9:34 am
Forum Regular

Thanks Steve'o.

It seems in QLD and NSW though you can't really do much yourself, its just owner builder and hire your own tradesmen or get a builder.

I am planning on trying to do more on an extension than that, the only thing I am s**t at is plastering. Im not s**t hot a carpentry either, but I like plumbing!

Is the crazy rumour I have heard about preformed fittings not existing in OZ? Someone said unlike here they don't have manufactured 8, 10, 15, 22 and 28mm fittings i.e. tee elbows, reducers etc. Do they really manufacture tees and reducers onsite? That would be expensive and time consuming!
Old Jun 3rd 2007, 3:12 pm
UK is Home

Sunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond repute

we are still in Uk at the moment lookinng to be in Sydney hopefully by the end july early August and are looking at also doing the complete Self Build. i would say that the biggest hurdle would be the availability of the tradesmen to do the jobs that i wont be able to do myself, the rest looks like usual red tape that you have to go through here in the UK. I have had a part in my brothers house here from scratch and didnt come accross any major hurdles that time and paperwork couldnt resolve. My brother had no experience whatsoever in the building trade and i`m sure after his first self Build could do it again with ease. As i mentioned the biggest problem will be the tradesmen so if you can sort that out then i would say definately go for it and i`m sure you will find it wont be as much hastle as you think. BTW i`m a Plasterer to trade Unfortunately heading East

What software did you use for the 3D pics?

This is the sort of house we are looking for!

I doubt however that the budget will alllow, so our logic is that it would be better, to buy a house we can afford. Then have a bedroom and ensuite extension added on to an existing house!

Last edited by Sunny_Glesga; Jun 3rd 2007 at 3:15 pm.
Old Jun 3rd 2007, 3:14 pm
Forum Regular

This is the sort of house we are looking for!

I doubt however that the budget will alllow, so our logic is that it would be better, to buy a house we can afford. Then have a bedroom and ensuite extension added on to an existing house!
Attached Thumbnails Building extensions-house.jpg   Building extensions-house2.jpg   Building extensions-house3.jpg   Building extensions-house4.jpg   Building extensions-house5.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.