Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

builders are con artists

builders are con artists

Old Sep 3rd 2009, 1:47 am
BE Forum Addict

AlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond repute
Default builders are con artists

I am so maaaaad I could scream.
We entered a verbal contract in july to build a house with Porter Davis, being encouraged to take advantage of the increased grants and use them towards our deposit. They told us at the outset that if we signed before end of Sept then they could book us in for construction start of March or earlier thus meeting the 26 week criteria. We signed the tender last month and were due to sign the contract next week. I said to them is that not leaving a bit tight to meet the criteria (being able to count!) they agreed and so we moved the contract signing to the 28th September. They have just informed me, 2 hours after making our final colour tiles and upgrades selection, that they now are not sure whether they can lay slab in time to be eligible and that they never said they could. Apparently their definition of starting construction is not the same as the state revenue offices (PD define a construction site start just as having finished the paperwork!) so they have told us we may want to defer siging the contract and thus miss out on the boost to ensure we at least get the increased bonus. (If we sign before the end of september and they dont manage to get the slab laid we end up dropping from 32 to 18 grant.)
I know it is still a very good deal getting the increased grant/bonus but as we were encouraged to use part of this as a deposit by them it means we are now over the 80% level so have to cough up lenders mortgage insurance as well as the extra $7,000 on top of our mortgage.
it is also now way too late to change builders as we could not get a contract signed in time and we have incurred non-refundable costs.

I really could slap them.
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 6:38 am
BE Enthusiast

JCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud of
Default Re: builders are con artists

Originally Posted by scotdownunder
I am so maaaaad I could scream.
We entered a verbal contract in july to build a house with Porter Davis, being encouraged to take advantage of the increased grants and use them towards our deposit. They told us at the outset that if we signed before end of Sept then they could book us in for construction start of March or earlier thus meeting the 26 week criteria. We signed the tender last month and were due to sign the contract next week. I said to them is that not leaving a bit tight to meet the criteria (being able to count!) they agreed and so we moved the contract signing to the 28th September. They have just informed me, 2 hours after making our final colour tiles and upgrades selection, that they now are not sure whether they can lay slab in time to be eligible and that they never said they could. Apparently their definition of starting construction is not the same as the state revenue offices (PD define a construction site start just as having finished the paperwork!) so they have told us we may want to defer siging the contract and thus miss out on the boost to ensure we at least get the increased bonus. (If we sign before the end of september and they dont manage to get the slab laid we end up dropping from 32 to 18 grant.)
I know it is still a very good deal getting the increased grant/bonus but as we were encouraged to use part of this as a deposit by them it means we are now over the 80% level so have to cough up lenders mortgage insurance as well as the extra $7,000 on top of our mortgage.
it is also now way too late to change builders as we could not get a contract signed in time and we have incurred non-refundable costs.

I really could slap them.

I understand your frustration,but......No ones dying from it or ill!

So just try and chillax and
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 6:51 am
BE Forum Addict

AlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond repute

I know, It's all good. I just needed a good rant and now am all shiny happy people again.
(Coudn't rant at the builders cos then they might not ever build it the house at all!)
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 7:17 am
Forum Regular

Lois1 is just really niceLois1 is just really niceLois1 is just really niceLois1 is just really niceLois1 is just really niceLois1 is just really niceLois1 is just really niceLois1 is just really nice

can understand your frustration.

If anyone can learn from this post its to make sure you get everything in writing first.

Good luck, and hope all goes smoothly from here onwards.
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 7:26 am
BE Forum Addict

You are very right, we thought we had but it only states on the paperwork construction starts March or before and we didnt realise that their definition was different from actually going onsite and doing some work...
Thanks anyway!