Builders *****

Old Feb 10th 2006, 3:10 am
Karma earned, not whored

CadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Builders *****

Originally Posted by fraser
Our slab was due to be poured today.

I did termite protection for 3 days and before they pour the termite company goes theer and puts collars on all the pipework.

So I went there at 3pm yesterday there weren't any so we called the so called site manager and left a message asking why there wasn't any collars on, he didn't return our call.

I shot back there at 8pm still nothing so I presumed the concreters weren't going to be there today.

I've just been there and they've poured half the slab there isn't any collars but they've only gone over one pipe.

So I phone the site manager he says don't worry they're there you just can't see them, I tell him no they're not, he says well they shouldn't be pouring.

Well thanks for that you're the site manager do your job ffs.

I go back there and tell the guy to stop pouring he says he phoned his boss to tell him there wasn't any on there and he said pour anyway.

So he stops phones his boss, he apologises says he doesn't blame me but his boss insists he carry's on.

He also says that his boss says it can still get a certificate, so f**king what it wont be as fully protected as it should have been.
We have just finished our build, (moved in Dec 24th) you have a lot of torture before you, trust me, EVERYTHING will be done wrongly, EVERYTHING will take way longer than it should, and the ONLY way you will get it done to your satisfaction, is to spend some time there every day. Keep on at the site manager, they are busy people, but always want to 'help' the person giving them the most sh1t, I either rang or text mine every day almost, in the end it was me managing the site, as I knew every facet of the build and the house. In the end it was all done correctly (because I made them) and it is a fine house, added to that a month before the the final payment was due, I wrote to the managing director, telling him there was absolutely no way we were paying the full amount of our final payment after all the crap we had had to endure, we should have had a final payment of $33,000 it ended up being $25,000 So keep on at them stay in their face, and you will get what you want. Dont forget if you dont get on their backs and in their face, another house owner will, and you will drop down the priority list.
Old Feb 10th 2006, 3:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wol
"All Aussie builders are completely incompetent" : Quote by an Australian friend.

I don't think he is correct - at least, I'm hoping not. But I have seen shocking incompetent, shoddy, lazy building going on - as well as really top quality stuff.
There are excellent aussie builders, some been licenced for decades without as much as a complaint against their names, but like anything you get what you pay for.

If the builders churning out houses like big macs on a production line, " I'll take the paradise MK II with a door no 9", ask yourself will you get the individual service you require. If its cheap be aware the labour/time/costing has been done down to the last cent.

You can do a lot of checking up on a builder, watch their work for several months before deciding on one. Check all the info you can from their licence no, ask around. You want the state licensing body, like the QBSA in QLD, the Master Builders is a professional membership that builders pay to join, not who they are licenced with.
Old Feb 10th 2006, 4:33 am

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

Their response

have spoken to the concretor, Termgard and your supervsor to determine what has happened and feel very confident in advising that the termite tretment "Part A" to your house is in hand. Termgard have advised that their sub contractors can have their workload affected by weather and the odd job can be missed prior to the slab being poured.

The sub contractor did manage to get to site this morning and placed 5 collars on penetrations. They have advised that the remainder of the penetrations will be term sealed in the near future, that date is to be determined by Porter Davis and Termgard. All work will be done in accordance with Australian Standards and a Part A termite treatment certificate will be issued to the relevent Building Surveyor on completion.

I'm sure that the technical detils do not need to be discussed at length as I am informed that you worked with Termgard for a period and would be well aware of the specific requirements. However for your peace of mind, the remainder of the penetrations will be termsealed. This is a synthetic barrier which prevents water and termite penetration. It is applied by brush over a fibre glass bandage, it has a 25 year guarantee and is a common termite treatment.

A certificte of occupancy cannot be issued without the treatment being carried out and certificates in place. Rest assured that these works will be done during the course of next week.

My reply

In answer to your email we were told we would get collars on all pipes when we signed our contracts unfortunately this isn't going to be the case, you may have filled your contractual obligation by using the other method but you haven't gave us the protection which we were promised.

I know there is no way the weather could have stopped Termgard doing the job as it's just solvent welding and a bit of bolt cutting.

But the resposibility lies with the concretor as they poured knowing that the collars weren't there and ultimately with you as it's your build and you who we are paying.

I'm far from satisfied and will be extra vigilant in future to make sure that everything is done properly.
Old Feb 10th 2006, 5:01 am

julesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cranni
Welcome to the world of building Fraser.
we are still waiting for things to be finished, and we moved in at Christmas, hubby went to see a solicitor yesterday. Good luck to you.
Hi Cranni,

What builder are you using, if you don't mind me asking?

Many thanks,

Jules
Old Feb 10th 2006, 5:06 am

julesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Exile
Sorry to rant and sound so negative. Just thought I'd let you know you're not alone. This is my experience of building with BGC Residential, who own Commodore Homes and National Homes, among others. I feel like I want to dedicate the rest of my life to destroying this company.

Please be careful if building in WA. There are a few good builders out there, its seems, but most are not great.
I've heard bad things about BGC too. We're currently just about to instruct a builder - two in the running. I started a thread about people's opinions on them, but nobody's answered.

If anyone has experience with either Perceptions or In-Vogue (WA) good or bad! please let us have your thoughts!

Thanks,

Jules
Old Feb 10th 2006, 5:45 am
BE Enthusiast

Exile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by julesandco
I've heard bad things about BGC too. We're currently just about to instruct a builder - two in the running. I started a thread about people's opinions on them, but nobody's answered.

If anyone has experience with either Perceptions or In-Vogue (WA) good or bad! please let us have your thoughts!

Thanks,

Jules
Have heard some negative things about Perceptions, mainly relating to build times and customer service (not phoning back, etc.). Mind you, not phoning back when you say you will seems to be treated as normal here. I think Perceptions used to be part of the BGC group, but were spun off. Maybe they're better now.

The In-Vogue people also failed to call back a friend of mine when she was thinking of building with them. You almost have to beg to be allowed to give these people your business. Usually doesn't bode well for what's ahead. She went with APG in the end.
Old Feb 10th 2006, 5:49 am
BE Forum Addict

cranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by julesandco

Thanks,

Jules
You will hear good and bad about all builders.
The problem here is the place is booming, but not enough tradesmen, the government should make it easier for tradesmen to get sposored here, as we was, but my hubby is gas/plumber.
Old Feb 10th 2006, 6:44 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Unhappy Re: Builders *****

I did termite protection for 3 days and before they pour the termite company goes theer and puts collars on all the pipework.

So I went there at 3pm yesterday there weren't any so we called the so called site manager and left a message asking why there wasn't any collars on, he didn't return our call.

I shot back there at 8pm still nothing so I presumed the concreters weren't going to be there today.

I've just been there and they've poured half the slab there isn't any collars but they've only gone over one pipe.

So I phone the site manager he says don't worry they're there you just can't see them, I tell him no they're not, he says well they shouldn't be pouring.

I go back there and tell the guy to stop pouring he says he phoned his boss to tell him there wasn't any on there and he said pour anyway.

So he stops phones his boss, he apologises says he doesn't blame me but his boss insists he carry's on.

He also says that his boss says it can still get a certificate, so f**king what it wont be as fully protected as it should have been.
Just one of many reasons to buy established instead of building.

Last edited by Vash the Stampede; Feb 10th 2006 at 6:51 am.
Old Feb 10th 2006, 6:50 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: Builders *****

Originally Posted by Exile
We're having a similar experience in WA. BGC Residential. Two years and still not finished. Their capacity to screw things up has been breathtaking. You have to assume total, idiotic incompetence every step of the way. No quality control apart from me, and I aint no builder. Worse, they just don't care, so phone calls, threats of legal action, etc, just get you nowhere and increase your stress.
BGC are notorious for dodgy work, penny-pinching, corner-cutting and legal chicanery. Len Buckridge is a right dodgy geezer, with a string of controversies to his name.
Old Feb 10th 2006, 9:14 am
BE Enthusiast

Exile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
BGC are notorious for dodgy work, penny-pinching, corner-cutting and legal chicanery. Len Buckridge is a right dodgy geezer, with a string of controversies to his name.

Yeah, and I found out a bit too late! I did loads of research, but somehow their Statesman Homes unit managed to maintain a good reputation until we signed up with them. Great designs, slick website and advertising, competitive prices. I wasn't the only one sucked in by it.

Len is supposed to be selling up and moving to Hong Kong, and it seems a lot of people will be happy to see him go.
Old Feb 10th 2006, 9:24 am
Who me ?

Fireman Al is a glorious beacon of lightFireman Al is a glorious beacon of lightFireman Al is a glorious beacon of lightFireman Al is a glorious beacon of lightFireman Al is a glorious beacon of lightFireman Al is a glorious beacon of lightFireman Al is a glorious beacon of lightFireman Al is a glorious beacon of lightFireman Al is a glorious beacon of lightFireman Al is a glorious beacon of lightFireman Al is a glorious beacon of light

It just show's he's not looking after my interests as he could have acted when I called him and phoned termgard they would have had someone in the area already and could have done the job in half an hour.

But it's not their policy to miss a meeting so he turned off his phone, by the time he turned it on again too late.

I'm repeating myself now..........I must calm down...............the wankers

Sorry to hear about yours Exile I don't think I could cope with that

Mate,
Sorry to hear about the crap you've got going on.....here's an option....
When they come to pour the rest of the slab, arrange for the site manager and construction manager to be there as you want to 'apologise'..... be there with 10 to 15 of your biggest mates and tie the bastards up, when they start pouring, state that unless this house is sorted....NOW....they'll be under that lot forever.......
I offer a fantastic service in this field of scaring th bejesus out of people so can offer plenty of advice !!
Hope it all goes okay..

Ali
Old Feb 10th 2006, 9:25 am

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fireman Al
Mate,
Sorry to hear about the crap you've got going on.....here's an option....
When they come to pour the rest of the slab, arrange for the site manager and construction manager to be there as you want to 'apologise'..... be there with 10 to 15 of your biggest mates and tie the bastards up, when they start pouring, state that unless this house is sorted....NOW....they'll be under that lot forever.......
I offer a fantastic service in this field of scaring th bejesus out of people so can offer plenty of advice !!
Hope it all goes okay..

Ali
Too late mate they finished this morning, i like your style though
Old Feb 10th 2006, 10:33 am
Floribean in wait

oshel is a jewel in the roughoshel is a jewel in the roughoshel is a jewel in the roughoshel is a jewel in the rough

Fraser

What a load of assholes. I hate, hate, hate people like that. They just don't realise that they're messing with your lives and your money. Sure you don't mind them pissing around for £100 but for whatever you're paying this is an absolute joke. Can you change the site manager?

You want someone who is going to work for both sides, not just ignore you. I'd ram down their throats that you'r paying their wages and kick some ass. Complain higher and get someone good on your side, this lack of effort and concentration does not bode well with just laying the concrete.

It must be so annoying and I can't suggest what else to do apart from smash their faces in - I am normally a nice girl but this kind of crap winds me up!

On the other side, try not to get to wound up as it will only make you ill. Whenever my dad gets wound up his stomch ucler plays up, whenever he gets excited that we're only going holiday a few days before he get's kidney stones.

He's a nightmare - think it's worse than having a baby- now that is a laugh in itself!
Old Feb 10th 2006, 10:36 am
Account Closed

Rooksie is an unknown quantity at this point

oh bugger - i take it all back mate
Old Feb 10th 2006, 10:37 am

Originally Posted by oshel
Fraser

What a load of assholes. I hate, hate, hate people like that. They just don't realise that they're messing with your lives and your money. Sure you don't mind them pissing around for £100 but for whatever you're paying this is an absolute joke. Can you change the site manager?

You want someone who is going to work for both sides, not just ignore you. I'd ram down their throats that you'r paying their wages and kick some ass. Complain higher and get someone good on your side, this lack of effort and concentration does not bode well with just laying the concrete.

It must be so annoying and I can't suggest what else to do apart from smash their faces in - I am normally a nice girl but this kind of crap winds me up!

On the other side, try not to get to wound up as it will only make you ill. Whenever my dad gets wound up his stomch ucler plays up, whenever he gets excited that we're only going holiday a few days before he get's kidney stones.

He's a nightmare - think it's worse than having a baby- now that is a laugh in itself!
I did he put me straight on to his construction manager who told me I was being unreasonable and that his meeting with him was more important than sorting my problem out

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.