Builder rant...

Old Apr 18th 2007, 2:54 am
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs down Builder rant...

[rant]

We moved into our new home over the Christmas break, overall we were pleased with the way the build had gone and the quality of the workmanship other than the plumbing, where we had the following issues:

* Solar hot water panel: they never put the chemicals in or checked the unit, therefore it was not charging and we had no hot water unless we used the electric booster.

* Thermostatic valves in bathrooms: these are supposed to prevent the water coming out of the taps at an extreme temperature, but the plumbers never set them so the water was scalding hot (thank god we dont have kids or they would have been seriously burnt!).

* Waste pipes: none of them had been tightened at all, they were literally just on, not even finger tight - luckily husband is a suspicious sod and checked them all before we used the sinks!

* Hole in pipe: the aircon installer put a hole in the mains pipe when they connected the aircon, which we never found for three months when we suddenly heard the loud sound of running water and husband checked the meter which was ticking over at a furious pace. He then found water bubbling out of the sand and, sure enough, there was the leak. We called the plumber out (builder gives you emergency contact details) who fixed it no problem, but then billed us nearly $200 as they werent the ones who installed the aircon. Builders never paid bill, so we had a reminder just before Easter and, despite us going down to their Bunbury office and being told categorically it woudl definitely be paid by Thursday, the invoice is still outstanding. What's more plumber refuses to change the account details to the builder saying I am liable and I have to pay and claim it back.

It is impossible to speak to anyone in maintenance, they are never there and they never return phone calls! So I've sent them yet another fax about it all and husband will have to spend his lunch hour going to plumbers to settle account then going to builders and (hopefully!) getting a cheque to reimburse us.

I am so f****d off with it all, really could do without this stress given I've only got just over 6 weeks until I "pop" - it's just so frustrating when people dont do what they say they will then you cant ever get to speak to anyone to get it sorted.

We have our maintenance period coming up so once they've sorted out the few minor issues on that I will be writing to the MD to put all our complaints in writing - is it worth contacting anyone else to get advice or just do this at this stage?

Thanks for listening

p.s. if anyone is thinking of building in WA PM me and I'll let you know who the builder is!

[/rant]
Old Apr 18th 2007, 4:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Builder rant...

Originally Posted by bridie
[rant]

We moved into our new home over the Christmas break, overall we were pleased with the way the build had gone and the quality of the workmanship other than the plumbing, where we had the following issues:

* Solar hot water panel: they never put the chemicals in or checked the unit, therefore it was not charging and we had no hot water unless we used the electric booster.

* Thermostatic valves in bathrooms: these are supposed to prevent the water coming out of the taps at an extreme temperature, but the plumbers never set them so the water was scalding hot (thank god we dont have kids or they would have been seriously burnt!).

* Waste pipes: none of them had been tightened at all, they were literally just on, not even finger tight - luckily husband is a suspicious sod and checked them all before we used the sinks!

* Hole in pipe: the aircon installer put a hole in the mains pipe when they connected the aircon, which we never found for three months when we suddenly heard the loud sound of running water and husband checked the meter which was ticking over at a furious pace. He then found water bubbling out of the sand and, sure enough, there was the leak. We called the plumber out (builder gives you emergency contact details) who fixed it no problem, but then billed us nearly $200 as they werent the ones who installed the aircon. Builders never paid bill, so we had a reminder just before Easter and, despite us going down to their Bunbury office and being told categorically it woudl definitely be paid by Thursday, the invoice is still outstanding. What's more plumber refuses to change the account details to the builder saying I am liable and I have to pay and claim it back.

It is impossible to speak to anyone in maintenance, they are never there and they never return phone calls! So I've sent them yet another fax about it all and husband will have to spend his lunch hour going to plumbers to settle account then going to builders and (hopefully!) getting a cheque to reimburse us.

I am so f****d off with it all, really could do without this stress given I've only got just over 6 weeks until I "pop" - it's just so frustrating when people dont do what they say they will then you cant ever get to speak to anyone to get it sorted.

We have our maintenance period coming up so once they've sorted out the few minor issues on that I will be writing to the MD to put all our complaints in writing - is it worth contacting anyone else to get advice or just do this at this stage?

Thanks for listening

p.s. if anyone is thinking of building in WA PM me and I'll let you know who the builder is!

[/rant]
Thats where the licence comes in. (you know the bit of paper nobody can understand why they have to get it )

Of course every state will have different but take QLD, the bit of paper has a number and a licencing body, here called the QBSA, customers not happy, put it in writing to builder keep copy wait 14 days. Not fixed send copy to the board hes licenced with and an investigation/inspections starts and if the complaint is genuine the tradesmen responsible is ordered to cough up and fix it or lose their licence and get their name made public.
Old Apr 18th 2007, 4:37 am
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Builder rant...

Ta for the info

OH has paid the plumbers and has been into the builders and been promised a cheque to us will be in the post today as reimbursement... but I will believe it when I see it!

It's just so frustrating, and it's done them no favours as up until we moved in we were really pleased with what they'd done but sadly their plumbing and lack of customer service has really let them down.

Must remind them when I write "Poms talk"