Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Builder/Bricklayer planning on emigrating-will I get a job in Oz (Adelaide or Perth)?

Builder/Bricklayer planning on emigrating-will I get a job in Oz (Adelaide or Perth)?

Old Jan 20th 2009, 11:50 am
Just Joined

dannykaty is just really nicedannykaty is just really nicedannykaty is just really nicedannykaty is just really nicedannykaty is just really nicedannykaty is just really nicedannykaty is just really nicedannykaty is just really nice
Default Builder/Bricklayer planning on emigrating-will I get a job in Oz (Adelaide or Perth)?

I am a fully qualified builder in the uk with 11 years experience. Me and my OH want to emigrate to Adelaide (or maybe Perth - can't decide). I would be the main applicant under the skilled migrant visa but our main concern is whether the current recession here in the Uk is going to hit Oz too. One of the main reasons for our move is that there is no work in UK and struggling financially because of it. All we hear is tradesmen (inc. builders) are wanted in Oz and we're just hoping its not too good to be true as we've wanted to move out there for a long time.
Is there plenty of work for brikkies out there? How easy is it to find a job?
Whats an approx salary?
Any tips, advice is welcome. We don't want to go through the whole emigrating process just to find its no better out there as (although we'll be coming over with money saved) we can't afford to be out of work.

Danny
Old Jan 20th 2009, 11:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Builder/Bricklayer planning on emigrating-will I get a job in Oz (Adelaide or Per

Originally Posted by dannykaty
I am a fully qualified builder in the uk with 11 years experience. Me and my OH want to emigrate to Adelaide (or maybe Perth - can't decide). I would be the main applicant under the skilled migrant visa but our main concern is whether the current recession here in the Uk is going to hit Oz too. One of the main reasons for our move is that there is no work in UK and struggling financially because of it. All we hear is tradesmen (inc. builders) are wanted in Oz and we're just hoping its not too good to be true as we've wanted to move out there for a long time.
Is there plenty of work for brikkies out there? How easy is it to find a job?
Whats an approx salary?
Any tips, advice is welcome. We don't want to go through the whole emigrating process just to find its no better out there as (although we'll be coming over with money saved) we can't afford to be out of work.

Danny
One thing you need to be aware of here is the licensing laws for brickies, which vary from state to state. If you type in your profession on www.immi.gov.au it will bring up the ASCO code and info on the relevant licensing authority in each state (here in Adelaide it's http://www.ocba.sa.gov.au/ )

It really depends who you talk to, some say Aus will have a worse time of it that the UK, and others think not. It's all a gamble really, but I can tell you that SA is currently doing alright. Perth (according to those that live there) isn't right now but I don't really take any notice

For me and mine it's been a good move so far. My OH is a sparky and can get work anywhere - he's not bothered if he has to dig holes for a living so long as he can pay the bills and I am the same, so we have no worries

Time will only tell how things will go here, unfortunately none of us have a crystal ball
Old Jan 20th 2009, 6:24 pm
Just Joined

dannykaty is just really nicedannykaty is just really nicedannykaty is just really nicedannykaty is just really nicedannykaty is just really nicedannykaty is just really nicedannykaty is just really nicedannykaty is just really nice
Default Re: Builder/Bricklayer planning on emigrating-will I get a job in Oz (Adelaide or Per

Thanks,
I've just checked on the sites you suggested, I couldn't find what I was looking for - The ASCO code. Not sure what that is...?

Sorry, I'm not the best with computer as I have never had need to use one - I usually leave it to my OH. and as far as all the info goes, its overwhelming! There's so much and I don't know what half of its all about
We're going to get a relocation agent to help us out - feel like a fish out of water here!
Old Jan 21st 2009, 12:38 pm
Forum Regular

munch is just really nicemunch is just really nicemunch is just really nicemunch is just really nicemunch is just really nicemunch is just really nicemunch is just really nicemunch is just really nice

Hi Danny

We arrived in Perth on 02nd December and my husband found a job within 2 days of looking. He did have to get up at 6.00am to get the Western Australian paper and start calling the adverts of which most had already gone.

You will need an ABN number, TFN number, Blue card which is a safety card - (try bluedog training on the internet it costs $90 to do and involves a multiple choice exam) and most require you to have your own vehicle and tools, other than that just be prepared to travel.

The wages at the moment are around $260+ p/day, it has dried up a lot here in Perth, husband got laid off yesterday for a couple of weeks (a job has been knocked back) so he is going to look for something else, he is a bit gutted cos the lads were great and all got on really well.

I would suggest you log onto the Western Australian paper website and look at employment, if you type brickie or bricklayer in the search field it will give you all the vacancies over the last couple of weeks. Not many but there are a few most days. Also do a search on the internet for ABN and TFN, you will have to be here to apply but we did both on the internet, very straightforward.

The government are offering $21,000 if you sign a contract to build a new house before the end of June and $14,000 if you buy an established one, experts think people are waiting for the interest rate to drop in Feb and then people will start to take advantage of it which should kickstart the construction industry.

Good luck, our view is that there is nothing in the UK in construction anymore - we had a hell of a year before we came here, if it does ever get as bad here as least it is warm so no huge gas bills or council tax to pay, and the petrol is 98cents a litre, we already feel like our household bills are a lot less.

Debbie
Old Jan 21st 2009, 12:53 pm
Forum Regular

pazza is a name known to allpazza is a name known to allpazza is a name known to allpazza is a name known to allpazza is a name known to allpazza is a name known to allpazza is a name known to allpazza is a name known to allpazza is a name known to allpazza is a name known to allpazza is a name known to all

Hi Danny,

Try this. http://www.immi.gov.au/asri/occupati...er-4414-11.htm

4414-11 is the ASCO code.