To be a builder

Old Dec 4th 2004, 10:07 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default To be a builder

http://www.news.com.au/common/story_...55E421,00.html
Union rorts crippling building industry
By Chris Tinkler
December 5, 2004
FREE beer and barbecues, false safety claims, extortion and fully paid ghost workers are among union rorts crippling Victoria's building industry, it is claimed.

The alleged rorts are costing the state up to $20 million a day and also include complimentary Grand Final tickets, 27 additional days off a year and demands for employer-paid union T-shirts.

One of the worst hit projects is the Spencer St Station makeover, now predicted to go $200 million over budget. It may not be ready for the Commonwealth Games in 2006. It is claimed the station's developers have had to pay for 23 representatives or officials - none of whom do construction work - to look after members on the site.

The Federal Government's Building Industry Taskforce director, Nigel Hadgkiss, said yesterday: "Our work has revealed a culture of fear, where coercion, threats, intimidation and violence are commonplace."
Old Dec 4th 2004, 10:31 pm
abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxy

PortJackson is on a distinguished road
Default Re: To be a builder

Originally Posted by bondipom
By Chris Tinkler
December 5, 2004
FREE beer and barbecues, false safety claims, extortion and fully paid ghost workers are among union rorts crippling Victoria's building industry, it is claimed.

The alleged rorts are costing the state up to $20 million a day and also include complimentary Grand Final tickets, 27 additional days off a year and demands for employer-paid union T-shirts.

One of the worst hit projects is the Spencer St Station makeover, now predicted to go $200 million over budget. It may not be ready for the Commonwealth Games in 2006. It is claimed the station's developers have had to pay for 23 representatives or officials - none of whom do construction work - to look after members on the site.

The Federal Government's Building Industry Taskforce director, Nigel Hadgkiss, said yesterday: "Our work has revealed a culture of fear, where coercion, threats, intimidation and violence are commonplace."
While not totally disbelieving such claims I do remain a bit sceptical.I wonder how much of the $200 million is being rorted by corrupt politicians and their mates.
And if the state is being done for $20 million a day surely it would be long since bankrupt.Granted ghost workers could cost afew $'s,safety claims shut work down for a while, but do they really expect people to believe that bbq's, t-shirts and afew tickets are going to tot up to that kind of figure.
Personal view ~ its a nice way to assimilate council and government wasted $'s in to the total figure while undermining credability of unions.
Old Dec 4th 2004, 10:33 pm
Banned

Quinkana will become famous soon enoughQuinkana will become famous soon enough

By Chris Tinkler
December 5, 2004

Next it will be stop work in the middle of concrete pours - a sure sign that investment in property development is about to turn down severely.
Old Dec 4th 2004, 10:36 pm

[QUOTE=bondipom

The Federal Government's Building Industry Taskforce director, Nigel Hadgkiss, said yesterday: "Our work has revealed a culture of fear, where coercion, threats, intimidation and violence are commonplace."[/QUOTE]

Usually by the bosses
Old Dec 5th 2004, 12:22 am

Originally Posted by PortJackson
While not totally disbelieving such claims I do remain a bit sceptical.I wonder how much of the $200 million is being rorted by corrupt politicians and their mates.
And if the state is being done for $20 million a day surely it would be long since bankrupt.Granted ghost workers could cost afew $'s,safety claims shut work down for a while, but do they really expect people to believe that bbq's, t-shirts and afew tickets are going to tot up to that kind of figure.
Personal view ~ its a nice way to assimilate council and government wasted $'s in to the total figure while undermining credability of unions.
It does take 2 to tango but it is us the tax payer that suffers. A union leader was recently caught on CCTV ransacking the offices of a company. The game is rough on both sides.

If you read the article it is not the cost of the BBQ it is the cost of the wages people are paid for their Fridays off. The T-shirts were to cover up the siphoning off of money to others accounts. People are being made up and being put on the payroll. In the meantime teachers are underpaid and schools are suffering.
Old Dec 5th 2004, 12:50 am
Keeping it fairly real

walla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond repute

By Chris Tinkler
December 5, 2004

one building company in Perth is offering brickies strippers after work on a Friday to get them on board AND it was advertised in the local rag, shameless.
Old Dec 5th 2004, 3:39 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by walla1
one building company in Perth is offering brickies strippers after work on a Friday to get them on board AND it was advertised in the local rag, shameless.
Yep, there's two on this forum who work for that company (or more companies probably do it..)
And apparently it goes further than normal stripping and toplessness

Can't comment on the rest, but it's all fishy that's for sure.

Last edited by Simone; Dec 5th 2004 at 3:42 am. Reason: spelling
Old Dec 5th 2004, 5:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Were the same builders used for the Scottish Parliament building???

Mrs JTL
Old Dec 5th 2004, 7:12 am

Originally Posted by walla1
Funny how this thread was next to the Perth pole dancers thread until I posted this.
Old Dec 5th 2004, 8:50 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Funny how this thread was next to the Perth pole dancers thread until I posted this.
lol!

Against, eh, popular belief, the pole dancing was a one-off hen night thing btw.
Though, some of the girls do want to do the 6 week course next year
Old Dec 5th 2004, 2:15 pm

It does take 2 to tango but it is us the tax payer that suffers. A union leader was recently caught on CCTV ransacking the offices of a company. The game is rough on both sides.

If you read the article it is not the cost of the BBQ it is the cost of the wages people are paid for their Fridays off. The T-shirts were to cover up the siphoning off of money to others accounts. People are being made up and being put on the payroll. In the meantime teachers are underpaid and schools are suffering.
I agree it does take two.You are right as well it can get rough.Cant speak for the Australian side of things(although I have an idea with the warfies circa mid 90's) but I remember only too well the stunts that were pulled during the Wapping controversy and the 84/85 miners strike.
As regards the union leader ransacking the officesof a company you probably remember the tricks Maxwell got up too with the print unions(i.e hiring thugs to smash the printing presses so as to force the move to computerised system when talks were stalled with the national print union).
You are ,also , only to right regards the nurses and education system being underfunded.However again I would argue that a revsion of such policies as computerising the NHS to the tune of £billion's plus wont help the UK.Perhaps , if not certainly , equal wastage through government policy and sponsored thinktanks in Australia at state and federal level.And ill thought out implementation of promises made.
The only reason I feel so strongly on articles like the one on the link provided is that it sets alarm bells off for me.Call me paranoid(parnoid they shout from the back row)but rarely is a comparison made , or indeed looked into ,with the same issues from the employers side.Or in the matter of public departments with government bodies.They need to be accountable as well and their 'tricks' put into the picture.
Old Dec 5th 2004, 6:59 pm

Originally Posted by PortJackson
I agree it does take two.You are right as well it can get rough.Cant speak for the Australian side of things(although I have an idea with the warfies circa mid 90's) but I remember only too well the stunts that were pulled during the Wapping controversy and the 84/85 miners strike.
As regards the union leader ransacking the officesof a company you probably remember the tricks Maxwell got up too with the print unions(i.e hiring thugs to smash the printing presses so as to force the move to computerised system when talks were stalled with the national print union).
You are ,also , only to right regards the nurses and education system being underfunded.However again I would argue that a revsion of such policies as computerising the NHS to the tune of £billion's plus wont help the UK.Perhaps , if not certainly , equal wastage through government policy and sponsored thinktanks in Australia at state and federal level.And ill thought out implementation of promises made.
The only reason I feel so strongly on articles like the one on the link provided is that it sets alarm bells off for me.Call me paranoid(parnoid they shout from the back row)but rarely is a comparison made , or indeed looked into ,with the same issues from the employers side.Or in the matter of public departments with government bodies.They need to be accountable as well and their 'tricks' put into the picture.
Corruption needs all sides participating including the government. It strikes me that with the revelations of police involvement into the recent mafia killings and the links to the building trade there is something rotten going on in Victoria. NSW and QLD have both had big clean ups but there is still plenty of it going on.

If the unions were truly out there protecting workers from unsafe workplaces then I would support them but as is the union leadership is in it for themselves whilst keeping up the morale with BBQs and beer.
Old Dec 5th 2004, 7:17 pm

Corruption needs all sides participating including the government. It strikes me that with the revelations of police involvement into the recent mafia killings and the links to the building trade there is something rotten going on in Victoria. NSW and QLD have both had big clean ups but there is still plenty of it going on.

If the unions were truly out there protecting workers from unsafe workplaces then I would support them but as is the union leadership is in it for themselves whilst keeping up the morale with BBQs and beer.
In the end it all comes down to accountabilty of the leadership on all sides.Therein lies the crux of the problem.