Build your own?

Old Feb 14th 2004, 7:29 pm
Forum Regular

Tazzy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Build your own?

Just wondering if anyone knows of any companies that build houses out in Adelaide to your spec? PP's thread a couple of days ago led us to "Devine" web site. I had a look at the houses on there but there's no imagination or uniqueness in their designs.
Any suggestions?
Tazzy
Old Feb 14th 2004, 10:07 pm
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future
Default Re: Build your own?

Originally posted by Tazzy
Just wondering if anyone knows of any companies that build houses out in Adelaide to your spec? PP's thread a couple of days ago led us to "Devine" web site. I had a look at the houses on there but there's no imagination or uniqueness in their designs.
Any suggestions?
Tazzy
The best information on unusual house plans can be found at these sites

But why not something traditional rather than unusual:

Old Feb 14th 2004, 10:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

Hi Tazzy...i agree, their houses all look a bit "samey", but i not sure i would like it as "individual" as Megs suggestion!!...LOL

If you find anything interesting please let me know as we are still thinking about the idea of building, but after the good advice HelinUK, and Mrs Dagboy gave me, i am not sure that these packages are a good idea, mainly regarding the resale value at a later date.
Old Feb 14th 2004, 10:25 pm
Banned

Location: I refuse to answer on the grounds it may incriminate me
Luke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond repute

I am sure there are builders who can read blueprints. Shouldnt be a problem in getting one to build to spec but remember that some of your ideas may use materials that are not available or not suitable to this climate.
Old Feb 14th 2004, 10:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

Trouble is Luke, when you have never done it before it all seems a bit of a minefield and thats where these "package" homes start to become appealing. I don't know if they really are an easier option, but they give the impression theres less headaches.
Old Feb 14th 2004, 10:43 pm
Banned

Location: I refuse to answer on the grounds it may incriminate me
Luke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond repute

Yes I imagine it would be a minefield especially when you have tradesman or material delays that could cost you over 15% cost overuns.

I dont know about here in oz but in canada there are companies that make semi prefab houses (not talking about those awful ones).
They are quite nice and cheap and come in many designs that arent typical. You buy and they deliver and build in no time flat.
Do they have them here ?

Wait, I think they do. I saw something on tv a few months back but these were small houses for single people I think.
Old Feb 14th 2004, 10:50 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

I think Hevs puts it well in the post that has just been bumped up. I find the more established houses are built to a higher standard and are aesthetically more pleasing.

The issue of spacing noted by Hevs is all to true. I would prefer my house and my neighbours houses not to take 90% of the land and look directly into each others backyards.

The newer places I have seen must have looked great initially but they are now cracking and in the worst cases require re-inforcing due to concrete cancer (due to salt from the ocean).
Old Feb 14th 2004, 10:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

I think i know what you mean, but if they anything like the ones i seen in NZ forget it!!!

I really want a nice brick built home...just cant find what we are looking for on the market.
As theres only two of us, we really dont want a big house, but we want a pool and a nice interior. Can't find one anywhere.
Old Feb 14th 2004, 11:23 pm
Forum Regular

adelaidegirl is an unknown quantity at this point

I agree that companies such as Devine, who supply all the carpets, curtains etc, might take a drop in value when initially built. However, there are lots of house builders in Adelaide who will build you a good home - AV Jennings use imaginative designs, Hickinbotham, Rossdale, Sterling, Eden Homes (another imaginative builder) and many others. If you have heaps to spend, try Scott Salisbury Homes. Don't forget that you can modify any of the builders existing designs - ie make that room bigger, knock those two rooms into one, give me 9ft ceilings etc. On top of the cost of the house you'll need to allow for footings - this might be another $5,000 if your land has rock on it and they need to bring in a rock-breaker. Building a house is a great experience, but also remember that you'll need to allow for the cost of driveways, window treatments, air con, heating, carpets or tiles, establishing the garden etc. We lived in our place with bare concrete floors for five years before we could afford to put flooring down! Another trick is to ask for the deluxe specification (most builders offer standard or deluxe finish), and then take away any fancy stuff you don't really want. You should end up with a better finish than just the standard version. cheers adelaidegirl
Old Feb 14th 2004, 11:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thanx adelaidegirl...i remember you saying at the picnic you built your own house...

Thanx also for the email.. i'll get round to replying once ive waded through the rest!!!!
Old Feb 14th 2004, 11:31 pm
Forum Regular

ozvideo is an unknown quantity at this point

The company who built these are worth checking out.
Old Feb 14th 2004, 11:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

You know how i like to be positive etc?...well..can i say i really like the cobblestones?
Old Feb 14th 2004, 11:47 pm
Forum Regular

ozvideo is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey, some places they are in fashion.

Where I used to work in Manchester, people used to nick them from the street.

You would go to work one morning and half the street would be missing.

They are probably on a drive way in the stockbroker belt now
Old Feb 15th 2004, 8:23 am
Forum Regular

kevt is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Build your own?

Originally posted by Tazzy
Any suggestions?
Tazzy

Hi Tazzy,

here are the builders i know off in South Australia-

http://www.longridgehomes.com.au/home.php
http://www.marshallthompson.com.au/
http://www.rossdalehomes.com.au/
http://www.sarahhomes.com.au/
http://www.sterlinghomes.com.au/pages/page.cfm?pageid=4
http://www.distinctivehomes.com.au/
http://www.devine.com.au/
http://www.hickinbotham.com.au/index1.htm
http://www.henleypropertiessa.com.au/

Hope this helps.

Kevin
Old Feb 15th 2004, 9:29 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Tazzy (& podgy), there is nothing wrong with getting your home built, the problem can arise when you buy a "package" from a company like Devine & end up with 110% mortgage, possibly on a house & land that will devalue in the not too distant future.

There are lots of builders who will build to your spec etc & as long as you weigh up the figures, you should be ok.

Adelaidegirl & Kevs list are a good start.

OzV, now that is my kinda property, old & with character! I normally go for Qlders (ie wood), but that one would do me fine as well .

(but I tend to agree with BP, you cant beat an older established home, preferably not on a 400sqm block with your bedroom windows only a couple of feet away from your neighbours, well unless you like groaning & moaning to put you to sleep )

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.