Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Buiding homes in aus - any advice?

Buiding homes in aus - any advice?

Old Jun 11th 2005, 3:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

glittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Buiding homes in aus - any advice?

We're probably completely mad, but we're seriously considering this option. Have looked through domain.com day after day and cannot see anywhere we like in the right area. Has anyone else either self built, had a home and land package or brought the land first then got a company in to do the build? The homes off plan are quoted as 'from' $239000, what are the hidden costs? How much realistically do you end up going over budget? Sorry lots of questions but weighing up the options! Sorry the area will be either Bayside Brisbane, or Eumuni, Doonan, Verridale etc many thanks x
Old Jun 11th 2005, 11:49 pm

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Buiding homes in aus - any advice?

we are in the process of building a house....we found a builder first, then we bought the land. We are now $5000 under our budget of $200K, our builder allowed us to buy all the lighting etc from Bunnings cos they were cheaper than he could do, which was brill....also bought our vanities for the bathrooms which were in HOME sale at $150 off each.....u can save on a lot of things.........we used some of our savings and got extra sockets and light switches in, and also a better front door. You must get a full list of the inclusions......the electrical sockets usually are not enough, so added expense there and sparkys are expensive.

we are building with www.hotondo.com.au
have also heard that www.goldaward.com.au are worth a look

Buying off the plan is cheaper as all ur council fees and architect fees blh blah are included in the price

And make sure that the builder is registered with the MBA

Good luck

we also saved on the kitchen.....we had a budget of $6600(excluding appliances)for it and we got an individually designed kitchen at an award winning kitchenmakers for under budget

Last edited by biggy; Jun 12th 2005 at 12:00 am.
Old Jun 11th 2005, 11:49 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by glittababe
We're probably completely mad, but we're seriously considering this option. Have looked through domain.com day after day and cannot see anywhere we like in the right area. Has anyone else either self built, had a home and land package or brought the land first then got a company in to do the build? The homes off plan are quoted as 'from' $239000, what are the hidden costs? How much realistically do you end up going over budget? Sorry lots of questions but weighing up the options! Sorry the area will be either Bayside Brisbane, or Eumuni, Doonan, Verridale etc many thanks x
Add extra for carpets & floor coverings, anything more than basic doors & door handles, anything more than a basic cheapo kitchen, appliances, nicer tiles in the bathroom, paint & finishes as well as structural work etc etc etc.

I dont know exactly how much over the starting price, but 50% wouldnt surprise me at all .......
Old Jun 12th 2005, 12:04 am
Kingscliff NSW/QLD border

the plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to all

I'm an owner/builder....so can't afford to be over budget....!

But yes be very weary of quotes given......most of them are what they call here " Base price" which means that extra sockets,lighting , tiling ,carpets , patio area's , drives etc are not included....

We looked at some nice show homes , but by the time you included all the extras (necessaries)......prices jumped up $50-100.000.

So if and when you get quotes , make sure it includes absolutely everything.....down to the kitchen sink......

all the best plum
Old Jun 12th 2005, 12:09 am
Rocket Scientist

MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by biggy
we also saved on the kitchen.....we had a budget of $6600(excluding appliances)for it and we got an individually designed kitchen at an award winning kitchenmakers for under budget
biggy, how big is your kitchen & who did you use??? Im trying to work out a kitchen budget now & Im struggling! My laundry cost almost that much, its about one fifth of the size of my kitchen & I want something better for my kitchen anyway. :scared:

Last edited by MrsDagboy; Jun 12th 2005 at 12:22 am.
Old Jun 12th 2005, 12:17 am
BE Enthusiast

Ialibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond repute

I think I posted a reply to a Q like this some months ago. But I cant remember and couldn't be bother searching. I have to do enough reference searching and get paid for it. Here, its easier just to regurgitate.

You can buy a book that steps you through the whole process. 20 years ago the book cost $5 @ newsagents. I was in Perth city yesterday and saw a copy in one of the bookshops opposite His Majesty's Theatre. Its called something like "build your own house" and is a paperback in about A4 size.

I had the same trouble as you when I built in Canberra in the early 1980s. Quotes I got from builders started at $130K. And people @ work who were building using a builder were bitching all the time about how they were always putting out money that hadn't been budgetted for and the builder hadn't mentioned; as well they were always in conflict with the builder because they wanted thus and the builder said that it should be that!

I had picked up this book some weeks before and idly read it because my (then) wife and her family (and everyone else too) said that you couldn't build your own house. I said that anyone could get a private builders license and as long it met Building Authority specs it was okay. Furthermore, my grandfather build his own house in 1930s, so there was no reason why I couldn't do the same in the 1980s.

I went and saw a building consultant and spoke to him. He was a failed builder, so he reckoned it was easier to tell everyone what to do rather than what he had done

He did a Quantity Survey and came up with $77K. So I plonked down my $100 and told him we were in this until it was built. His fees were about 3% of the value billed @ on hourly basis. He said we will see a lot of each other for the early stages when it is technical and very little down the backend when it is aesthetic - he was right.

When I put in my plans the ACT Building Authorites charged me stamp duty in $85K because their experts didn't think it could be done fo r$77K

I sussed out all materials and all tradies. I made up a Project in MS Project (early days under MS-DOS). I had a friend who was/is one of Canberra's better up market house builders monitor it for me.

It took about 8 months. Which wasn't bad then as they were building Parliament House then and you couldn't easily get tradies and it was a wet winter. Tradies don't like working when it rains. I always asked how they managed in Europe and US where it actually snows.

Another problem I ran into was the RDO! I first struck it when I asked for some materials to be delivered one Friday and the shop bloke said "Sorry mate, its an RDO" I wasked what was an RDO and he told me it was Rostered Day Off. The whole building industry had 1 RDO a month. Me, who had actually managed 100s of staff asked "The whole industry all takes their day off together?" He said yep. I then asked if the industry hadn't heard of staggering schedules. I received the same blank look from him that I had from my wife's family when I said that we were going to build our own house. So I patiently explained that he could make money and continue trading if he gave half his staff this Friday off and half his staff Friday in a fortnight off. That way ordinary people who wanted to spend money in his shop who didn't have a clue about the building industry RDO and didn't care as they had flex leave, would roll out to his shop to find it closed on their day off and be completely pissed off and bad mouth his business to all their friends and acquaintances @ work. That line of thought was a novel one to him too! In the end I arranged for stuff to be delivered on Thursdays. That inconvenienced most of them but it was my money. I also had an understanding Boss.

I brought it in for $72K and had all this extra timber and tiles etc left over. I didn't stint on what we wanted either.

Part of the Building contract when you employ a builder is that they clean up the site after them. When I queries some of the 6 quotes I received, they all said that they overordered materials to make sure that they had enough. One fellow when he knew he wouldn't get the job (from memory, he came in at about $150K) really opened up and let me know what does go on. I learned that also when dealing with some of the Trades. With the timber, it wasn't uncommon (then) to over order by up to 25%. And they would take that away when they "cleaned up" the site on completion.

A friend of mine's Dad retired and built his own. He was a Dutchman, he came out to the site each day and set up with a beach chair, little table and umbrella and bellowed out orders and comments to the builders building his house. Even to the extent if berating them for wasting bricks, when they wanted half a brick they would lop off the unwanted half and throw it away. He would retrieve it and hand it back loudly telling the brickie that the had paid for the bricks and this half could go in there. I certainly had a lot of rubble that I used to fill as the block was on a slope.

Anyways, its a bit long but I would do it again.
Old Jun 12th 2005, 12:26 am
Rocket Scientist

Originally Posted by Ialibu
Part of the Building contract when you employ a builder is that they clean up the site after them. When I queries some of the 6 quotes I received, they all said that they overordered materials to make sure that they had enough. One fellow when he knew he wouldn't get the job (from memory, he came in at about $150K) really opened up and let me know what does go on. I learned that also when dealing with some of the Trades. With the timber, it wasn't uncommon (then) to over order by up to 25%. And they would take that away when they "cleaned up" the site on completion.
One of my neighbours where I used to live was a builder - he built his entire house on "over orders" on jobs he did!
Old Jun 12th 2005, 11:34 am

Originally Posted by MrsDagboy
biggy, how big is your kitchen & who did you use??? Im trying to work out a kitchen budget now & Im struggling! My laundry cost almost that much, its about one fifth of the size of my kitchen & I want something better for my kitchen anyway. :scared:
hiya mrs D

our kitchen was designed by ourselves and a company up here in Yeppoon...so kinda difficult for u to get work done down in Brissy.....the name of the firm anyways is Nigel Smiths House of Kitchens. ffs what is in your laundry if it cost that much......a real live laundry wummin lol
Old Jun 12th 2005, 11:58 am
Rocket Scientist

hiya mrs D

our kitchen was designed by ourselves and a company up here in Yeppoon...so kinda difficult for u to get work done down in Brissy.....the name of the firm anyways is Nigel Smiths House of Kitchens. ffs what is in your laundry if it cost that much......a real live laundry wummin lol
Haha I wish, only Dagboy . Its got Series 4 or series 5 vinyl-wrap doors (cant remember which one) - wasn't quite as much as yours, it was $4,500 & that was just for the cupboards, not including the tiles (floor & wall) or laundry tubs :scared: . Reason it was that much I guess is that its quite big (4m x 2.5m) & we got a massive pantry cupboard put in which apparently cost a fortune.

We've been designing the kitchen today (its 7.5 x 4.5m ) & working out where everything is going, so we'll start getting some quotes on that soon. Hopefully I wont keel over with a heart attack when I get them .
Old Jun 12th 2005, 12:12 pm

Haha I wish, only Dagboy . Its got Series 4 or series 5 vinyl-wrap doors (cant remember which one) - wasn't quite as much as yours, it was $4,500 & that was just for the cupboards, not including the tiles (floor & wall) or laundry tubs :scared: . Reason it was that much I guess is that its quite big (4m x 2.5m) & we got a massive pantry cupboard put in which apparently cost a fortune.

We've been designing the kitchen today (its 7.5 x 4.5m ) & working out where everything is going, so we'll start getting some quotes on that soon. Hopefully I wont keel over with a heart attack when I get them .
ffs big hoose....i would b prepared for a heart attack lol
Old Jun 12th 2005, 2:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

glittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond repute

ffs big hoose....i would b prepared for a heart attack lol

Many thanks for the replies, will try and find the book mentioned and do plenty of research!
Old Jun 13th 2005, 10:59 am
youngy73

youngy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond repute

we are building at the moment and move in 3 weeks. we bought land and then got a builder. heaps of dramas but its nearly sorted. firstly, choose your builder well, do research and get him to provide a list of customers. look at a sqm price to compare different display homes. this will give you an idea of how much you can afford and what finish you can have. 10 % over budget would be reasonable but if you have 200 to spent tell them you have 180. put the time in and get them to do lots of work on your behalf. the more work they do the more they need the sale so you can squeeze a bit extra out of them. dishwasher, air con etc. builders margins are about 20 %. get the quote then go thru there display asking is this what you have quoted and get them to show you everything. if you want like the display get them to put on the contract as per display. verbal means nothing, written is everything. look at a lot of houses old and new and see what people have in your area. sort out everything before you sign as most builders will screw you if you change things after you sign. on the up side you will make money on your investment straight away. 50 to 70 k would be a reasonable return and you will also have it your way. we are up in cairns and they are very shy with powerpoints up here. 1 per room. make sure you get a full colour choice as most of the bigger builders buy in bulk and therefore limit the amount of colour options. hope this helps. by the way it never occured to us that window sills would be extra. gyprock reveals are popular in qld.
Old Jun 13th 2005, 11:06 am
youngy73

youngy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond repute

One of my neighbours where I used to live was a builder - he built his entire house on "over orders" on jobs he did!
over orders, my nextdoor neighbour is a block layer and over 6 months blocks appeared everyday. he skimmed a few thousand blocks effectively getting his blocks for free. also had a mate who bought the blocks for the blocky and he still overcharged. charged him for more blocks than my mate bought.