Reload this Page >

Budget for having a baby without Medicare

Budget for having a baby without Medicare

Old Mar 26th 2014, 3:12 am
Forum Regular

erfanonline is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Budget for having a baby without Medicare

Hi again to all.
We arrived at Melbourne in early March 2014 on 475 (Regional GSM, Temporary Resident). We can apply for PR after two years and till then, we do not have any Medicare cover.

We are planning to have a baby before we get any Medicare benefit. Do anyone have any idea what kind of total approximate cost we are looking at for everything related to pregnancy and birth? My idea is something around AU$10,000. Is my idea in the correct range?

I do not mind paying the whole amount from my pocket. But, will taking a private health insurance policy which covers maternity (off course with wait period) be financially beneficial for us?

Thanks in advance.
Old Mar 26th 2014, 3:21 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Budget for having a baby without Medicare

Originally Posted by erfanonline
Hi again to all.
We arrived at Melbourne in early March 2014 on 475 (Regional GSM, Temporary Resident). We can apply for PR after two years and till then, we do not have any Medicare cover.

We are planning to have a baby before we get any Medicare benefit. Do anyone have any idea what kind of total approximate cost we are looking at for everything related to pregnancy and birth? My idea is something around AU$10,000. Is my idea in the correct range?

I do not mind paying the whole amount from my pocket. But, will taking a private health insurance policy which covers maternity (off course with wait period) be financially beneficial for us?

Thanks in advance.
I would think that if you are planning on a pregnancy, medical insurance would be worthwhile when you consider what could happen - I can't comment on the cost though
Old Mar 26th 2014, 6:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Get insurance before you get pregnant! (waiting time a year I think)

Cost wise - how long is a piece of string? Could be $10k or less if all goes totally smoothly. Could be $50k or more if something goes wrong.
Old Mar 26th 2014, 1:37 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Hi again to all.

Thanks in advance.
Agree with the above, unless you're very rich don't even consider going through a pregnancy and birth without insurance. The below info is from a South Australian website http://pregnancyhelpsa.com/?p=923

Prices as of July 2012
Women’s Outpatient Appointments- $192 per appointment.
Women’s Assessment Service charges around $335-$635 per visit.
Delivery of baby – Vaginal delivery without catastrophic or severe complications approximately $5960.
Delivery of baby- Caesarean Delivery with Catastrophic Complications $15,960
These charges DO NOT include medical treatment for your baby should it deem necessary.
Ultrasounds, blood tests, medications and any other tests are all additional costs.

Something you'll need to consider when choosing your private health insurance - 'ordinary' policies (for Medicare eligible residents) are based on Medicare picking up part of the cost, with the private health insurer then paying something on top of that. Maybe other BE members can give you some guidance on that.

A cautionary note from personal experience, and I'm sorry to sound all doom and gloom but these things happen. One of my children was born with a severe disability that necessitated 8 months of hospitalization in her first year, with 4 major surgeries. I'm not exaggerating when I say the cost of that, without Medicare and private insurance, would have run into the hundreds of thousands of dollars.

Please, don't risk it.
Old Mar 27th 2014, 1:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Hi again to all.

Thanks in advance.
If you don't have any Medicare cover, and by that I am assuming you do not have reciprocal benefits, wouldn't you take private insurance anyway? Or do you have that and you are just wondering about maternity cover? Th either thing to consider is just delaying your family until you are permanent residents?