Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Budget Car Insurance on a British Driving License

Budget Car Insurance on a British Driving License

Old Jan 18th 2011, 10:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of light
Default Budget Car Insurance on a British Driving License

Hi

We both still hold our British Driving licenses being on 457 Visas.
The majors will insure us no problems, but the budget insurers we have spoken to who are around $100 cheaper on average only insure Aus license holders.

Does anyone know of a Budget Insurer that will ?

Thanks

Stu
Old Jan 19th 2011, 12:08 am
Addicted to browsing BE

goldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Budget Car Insurance on a British Driving License

Just so you know, you don't have to be a PR to get an Aussie Driveing Licence - I got mine whilst on my WHV (in QLD).
Old Jan 19th 2011, 12:50 am
BE Enthusiast

Stu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks for that, yes we were aware that we could change to Aussie, but we have kept the UK for licence for the off chance that we get a ticket.
Australian police cannot add points to a UK licence

but looks like we may have to pay a $100 a year premium for it
Old Jan 19th 2011, 1:02 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stu Ward
Thanks for that, yes we were aware that we could change to Aussie, but we have kept the UK for licence for the off chance that we get a ticket.

but looks like we may have to pay a $100 a year premium for it
So, you want 'budget' insurance but want your traffic violations not to count against you?

So that'll be a big slice of cake and you'll be eating it now?
Old Jan 19th 2011, 2:34 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DeadVim
So, you want 'budget' insurance but want your traffic violations not to count against you?

So that'll be a big slice of cake and you'll be eating it now?
Exactly right
Old Jan 19th 2011, 5:56 am
BE Enthusiast

lonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond repute

Exactly right
Not sure about wherever you are, but here in SA I was handed back my UK licence when I applied for my SA licence.

Cheers

Steve
Old Jan 19th 2011, 8:11 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Exactly right
Consider that the NSW RTA will maintain an 'imprint' of your UK driving licence, and apply points to that. When/if you eventually apply for an Australian licence, the points will be added to your new licence at the time of issue.

If you plan on staying permanently, or even long term, then expecting to drive point free on a UK licence is not the way to go.

S
Old Jan 19th 2011, 8:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

British drivers are near perfect and never get tickets or points, so I would just swap it for an Oz one and not worry.
Old Jan 19th 2011, 8:55 am
BE Enthusiast

steen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
Consider that the NSW RTA will maintain an 'imprint' of your UK driving licence, and apply points to that. When/if you eventually apply for an Australian licence, the points will be added to your new licence at the time of issue.

If you plan on staying permanently, or even long term, then expecting to drive point free on a UK licence is not the way to go.

S
In NSW you can't get an Oz licence on a 457 or when they class you a temporary resident anyway I believe. If a perm resident I think they state you have to get a n Oz licence within about 6 months or so. Not sure how they enforce it or if it is an offence to drive on a UK licence after that but it's what they state on the RTA site.
Old Jan 19th 2011, 9:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steen1976
In NSW you can't get an Oz licence on a 457 or when they class you a temporary resident anyway I believe. If a perm resident I think they state you have to get a n Oz licence within about 6 months or so. Not sure how they enforce it or if it is an offence to drive on a UK licence after that but it's what they state on the RTA site.
You'll be charged with driving without a valid license and insurance.
Old Jan 19th 2011, 9:52 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by steen1976
All NSW licence applicants identified as temporary overseas visitors will be subject to the following licensing rules:
As a temporary overseas visitor, you will only be eligible to apply for a NSW licence once you have been in Australia for a continuous period of at least six months immediately prior to licence application.
All Temporary Overseas Visitor licences (with a ‘Q’ on the front of the licence) are only valid for 12 months.

A Permanent Resident is normally allowed to drive for 3 months before needing an Australian Licence, after that period they would be classed as driving without a valid licence.

Old Jan 19th 2011, 9:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Steve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to behold

I believe that's a myth, they keep a driver file under your UK licence and add points.
Old Jan 19th 2011, 9:55 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Alfresco
You'll be charged with driving without a valid license and insurance.
I only ever got done for driving without a valid license, never for no insurance. I even had a claim, which was paid out while I was driving on a UK licence, sometime after 3 months, and on PR.

I feel you should be correct in your statement, and maybe I was just lucky ?
Maybe they will be more stringent than they were back then.

Old Jan 19th 2011, 9:57 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Steve2009
I believe that's a myth, they keep a driver file under your UK licence and add points.
You are correct, they do keep the records of points, against your name and UK number, and once you reach the limit, your driving privileges are taken away.

Old Jan 19th 2011, 9:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Steve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
You are correct, they do keep the records of points, against your name and UK number, and once you reach the limit, your driving privileges are taken away.
I have lost my driving privileges before (3 months for 7 points while on Ps) and I asked QLD Transport what would happen if I drove on my Irish licence, I was told in very stern terms that I would be charged with driving unlicensed and prosecuted.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.