Reload this Page >

BT broadband hassles

BT broadband hassles

Old Jul 21st 2005, 2:13 pm
Just Joined

Eivets is an unknown quantity at this point
Question BT broadband hassles

In short,
Moving to OZ in about 5 weeks, called up BT to cancel broadband subscription claiming that as I am leaving the UK they can no longer supply me with a service therefore my 12 month contract does not have to be paid in full.
They responded that leaving the country does not count as moving to an area where they cannot supply broadband , they have said these t's & c's only apply to UK moves and so I am still due to pay for a full years subscription.

has anyone else had difficulties of this kind and , if so what was the outcome?
Old Jul 21st 2005, 2:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

gdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to all
Default Re: BT broadband hassles

Hi

I had exactly the same problem last year!

When I booked the service in May, I told the operator I was temporarily renting as I would be moving to Australia and she said "No Problem, if we can't supply where you're moving to - then the contract will not stand"!

Towards the end of September I phoned to give notice and it was a real pain, I just couldn't get anywhere with them; I even asked them to listen to their tape recording of the original conversation.

In the end, after phoning, emailing and writing for two weeks our time to leave came and we just left!!! I don't know what happened - I kept the email address which I used to receive their messages on for 3 mths (BT's own), but didn't hear anymore....

Hope i haven't got a CCJ waiting for me?

gd
Old Jul 21st 2005, 2:32 pm

bridiej is an unknown quantity at this point

one of my clients had a similar thing, he moved to a new office which couldnt get broadband.

i wrote a letter on his behalf saying that basically if they could supply it we'd have it but since they couldnt then we were cancelling, took a couple of letters but in the end they agreed and released him from the contract.

try asking them if they can supply you bt broadband in oz and if they say no then surely you've got the same case?

out of interest, were you able to get on line between 1pm and 2pm this arvo? only I was having problems...
Old Jul 21st 2005, 2:36 pm
Moomin member

peppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nice

Originally Posted by Eivets
In short,
Moving to OZ in about 5 weeks, called up BT to cancel broadband subscription claiming that as I am leaving the UK they can no longer supply me with a service therefore my 12 month contract does not have to be paid in full.
They responded that leaving the country does not count as moving to an area where they cannot supply broadband , they have said these t's & c's only apply to UK moves and so I am still due to pay for a full years subscription.

Like they are going to chase you to Oz for the money...I wouldnt worry about it
Old Jul 21st 2005, 2:51 pm
Forum Regular

HojuroGaja is on a distinguished road

I read their t's & c's when we had BT broadband contract last December, so far as I can remember there wasn't any mention of them applying to UK moves only.

I'm going to phone them, and make the point. I didn't expect that I would have any problems cancelling the broadband until I've just read your thread. Gosh, it's gona be a hard one.

Let's try hard and get what we want.

Cheers.

Yeon

Originally Posted by Eivets
In short,

Old Jul 21st 2005, 3:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

STUBBS has a brilliant futureSTUBBS has a brilliant futureSTUBBS has a brilliant futureSTUBBS has a brilliant futureSTUBBS has a brilliant futureSTUBBS has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by bridiej
out of interest, were you able to get on line between 1pm and 2pm this arvo? only I was having problems...
Hi Bridie
I couldn't get on at that time this arvo either, it's happened quite a few time lately, it makes you panic when your waiting for that all important e-mail.
Donna.
Old Jul 21st 2005, 3:21 pm

bridiej is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by STUBBS
Hi Bridie
I couldn't get on at that time this arvo either, it's happened quite a few time lately, it makes you panic when your waiting for that all important e-mail.
Donna.
I know, I always worry in case I've got a virus or something!! :scared:
Old Jul 21st 2005, 4:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

marco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bridiej
I know, I always worry in case I've got a virus or something!! :scared:
If there's anyone around who wants to upgrade to broadband but can't be bothered with the 12 month contract thing - do what I did.

I kept my btinternet email addresses (costs £1.50 a month and called premuim mail) and get my broadband from Virgin as they don't tie you in at all.
Old Jul 21st 2005, 5:35 pm
Where I want to be

ub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by marco121068
If there's anyone around who wants to upgrade to broadband but can't be bothered with the 12 month contract thing - do what I did.

I kept my btinternet email addresses (costs £1.50 a month and called premuim mail) and get my broadband from Virgin as they don't tie you in at all.
CAn you tell me how you do this premium mail stuff as we are very interested in swapping from BT to, well anyone really if we can get a better deal

Thanks

Shirley
Old Jul 21st 2005, 5:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

marco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ub40fan
CAn you tell me how you do this premium mail stuff as we are very interested in swapping from BT to, well anyone really if we can get a better deal

Thanks

Shirley
Shirley - take a look at this link
http://www.btyahoo.com/mail/premiummail

When I changed over I went though things with the (Indian) call centre which wasn't too bad. I thought I still had the number but can't find it. I'm sure it'll be on the website somewhere though.

Marco
Old Jul 21st 2005, 5:50 pm
Where I want to be

ub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond repute

Shirley - take a look at this link
http://www.btyahoo.com/mail/premiummail

When I changed over I went though things with the (Indian) call centre which wasn't too bad. I thought I still had the number but can't find it. I'm sure it'll be on the website somewhere though.

Marco
Cheers Marco

Will check it out
Old Jul 21st 2005, 8:03 pm
Just Joined

Eivets is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by HojuroGaja
I read their t's & c's when we had BT broadband contract last December, so far as I can remember there wasn't any mention of them applying to UK moves only.

I'm going to phone them, and make the point. I didn't expect that I would have any problems cancelling the broadband until I've just read your thread. Gosh, it's gona be a hard one.

Let's try hard and get what we want.

Cheers.

Yeon
When I originally setup the account I specifically asked them if my 12month contract was voided if I left the country and they said yes. So I have asked them to look into that information and have lodged a query with their online complaints people, as they record all call centre conversations.
I will let you know what the outcome is.
Old Jul 22nd 2005, 2:02 am
BE Enthusiast

gdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to all

*SNAP*!!!!

See my reply!

gd
Old Jul 22nd 2005, 2:28 am
kneading my cushion

webgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of light

Ditto me. Chose Virgin because I didn't fancy any arguments when we left - and then reverted to dialup on departure which meant I could access my old virgin email address via virgin webmail when we first arrived.
Good luck with the dinosaur that is BT!!
Old Jul 22nd 2005, 3:40 am
Coogee Rocks

Originally Posted by webgum
Ditto me. Chose Virgin because I didn't fancy any arguments when we left - and then reverted to dialup on departure which meant I could access my old virgin email address via virgin webmail when we first arrived.
Good luck with the dinosaur that is BT!!
Got to laugh at this wait till you deal with Telstra (or better yet dont deal with Telstra!)...they make BT look like the most efficent and friendly company in the world!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.