Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Bryce Courtenay .... for bookworms only!

Bryce Courtenay .... for bookworms only!

Old Jun 23rd 2005, 2:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Bryce Courtenay .... for bookworms only!

Just in case anyone is interested in a really good read, Bryce writes some cracking books. I'm currently on Tommo and Hawk and have read The Potato Factory, The Power of One, Tandia and Four Fires. I've got 4 or 5 others lined up on my coffee table to follow

He is Australia's biggest selling author. He was born in South Africa and his internationally best seller 'The Power of One' is basically about his own childhood (he is Peekay). He has lived the bulk of his life, over 70 years, in Sydney.

So, FWIW I recommend Courtenay to book enthusiasts.

Please feel free to post your favourite or to recommend other good reads. I can't split Four Fires and The Power of One. The latter even got a plug on Kath and Kim when Kel looked like having a 5th broken engagement he was sitting reading The Power of One.

http://www.brycecourtenay.com/

OzTennis
Old Jun 23rd 2005, 2:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

swissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to all
Default Re: Bryce Courtenay .... for bookworms only!

Originally Posted by OzTennis
Just in case anyone is interested in a really good read, Bryce writes some cracking books. I'm currently on Tommo and Hawk and have read The Potato Factory, The Power of One, Tandia and Four Fires. I've got 4 or 5 others lined up on my coffee table to follow

He is Australia's biggest selling author. He was born in South Africa and his internationally best seller 'The Power of One' is basically about his own childhood (he is Peekay). He has lived the bulk of his life, over 70 years, in Sydney.

Please feel free to post your favourite or to recommend other good reads. I can't split Four Fires and The Power of One. The latter even got a plug on Kath and Kim when Kel looked like having a 5th broken engagement he was sitting reading The Power of One.

OzTennis

My votes is Four Fires and the Power of One as welll!!! I love the author!

fabie counting the days to OZ...
Old Jun 23rd 2005, 2:26 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

OzTennis
I read 'The Power of One' & was not very impressed (the movie was terrible). He does not know much about Africa & I got the feeling that it was written by someone who had not been to Africa (which of course he has). He goes on about 'chooks' & 'utes' which are Australian terms. This is the only book of his that I have read, so cannot comment on any of his other books.
Old Jun 23rd 2005, 2:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
I read 'The Power of One' & was not very impressed (the movie was terrible). He does not know much about Africa & I got the feeling that it was written by someone who had not been to Africa (which of course he has). He goes on about 'chooks' & 'utes' which are Australian terms. This is the only book of his that I have read, so cannot comment on any of his other books.
Just feeling that you have to live up to your ocker baiter tag?

I think we can excuse him for putting the odd term in so his main audience (Australians) can understand. The message in the book (never let the so and so's grind you down and the human spirit can triumph over such adversity) comes across in most of his other works. All his books about Britain and Australia are thoroughly researched by a large team.

Courtenay was even requested to write a children's version of The Power of One so it could be used as a school textbook (which it is widely). Courtenay being in his 70's probably writes about a South Africa you never knew?

At the end of the day it's each to their own though.

OzTennis

Last edited by OzTennis; Jun 23rd 2005 at 2:39 pm.
Old Jun 23rd 2005, 2:43 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

He is a fantastic author. Potato Factory is my all-time favourite - partly because of the descriptions of Tassie, I must admit!
I also find April Fools Day very moving - the story of his son, who died after contracting HIV through a blood transfusion. He has a real gift for making people come alive and draws you along so you can't put the book down.

I've just finished Matthew Flinders Cat, for the second time - very unusual themes, and as captivating as ever.
Old Jun 23rd 2005, 2:49 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Just feeling that you have to live up to your ocker baiter tag?

I think we can excuse him for putting the odd term in so his main audience (Australians) can understand. The message in the book (never let the so and so's grind you down and the human spirit can triumph over such adversity) comes across in most of his other works. All his books about Britain and Australia are thoroughly researched by a large team.

Courtenay was even requested to write a children's version of The Power of One so it could be used as a school textbook (which it is widely). Courtenay being in his 70's probably writes about a South Africa you never knew?

At the end of the day it's each to their own though.

OzTennis
Are you an Ocker?

I can dig his message, which is universal. But it's not set in Australia or UK, it's set in Africa & he doesn't get it. Sure it's from an era that I never experienced, but there are certain things about Africa that are totally unique & if you spend any amount of time there you'll know what I mean. He doesn't.

Your last statement is spot on.

Peace.
Old Jun 24th 2005, 12:42 am
Badge

I have read a book called Shantaram 2004 Gregory David Roberts about a escaped convict from Melbourne to escapes to India and lives with the locals before going on to join the Mafia - serving in Afghanistan etc He even gets jailed for a while in India.

The man is actually a well educated middle class politicist who went to jail after robberies to support his drug addiction in the breakup of his marriage. He is also as hard as nails and I found him fascinating at times almost a mythical fictional character.
The book is about a man's spirit and love overcoming, triumphanting, all his problems. Psychology I could really identify with this man and he is a example to anyone that even in the midst of confict and hardship and struggles you can continue to love your fellow man. Someone I knew finished it and then read it again. In my all time top 5.
http://www.shantaram.com/

badge

Old Jun 24th 2005, 4:31 am
been there........

TheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud of

I've enjoyed most of what he's written (Tandia is my favourite) with the exception of April Fool's Day.
Yes, the story's tragic, but it annoyed me that while his wife and son's partner were doing all the hard work of caring for his son, he seemed to be just standing back, observing, emoting then writing; not much practical help at all.
But then I'm into fantasy. Does anyone else read Mercedes Lackey, Robin Hobbs, Raymond Feist, Guy Gavriel Kay?
Old Jun 24th 2005, 8:02 am

saraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of light

I thought Power of One was okay, but nothing special. Tandia was slightly worse. But really enjoyed the Potato Factory (yet to read the rest of that series!).