Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Bruce Willis arrested over Australian accent

Bruce Willis arrested over Australian accent

Old Feb 2nd 2005, 11:53 pm
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Bruce Willis arrested over Australian accent

A SERBIAN Bruce Willis lookalike who passed himself off as the star was caught out - because he thought anyone called Bruce must be Australian.

Goran Markovic successfully conned people into thinking he was the Hollywood actor until he was caught using a fake Australian passport and accent instead of an American one.
Markovic, 46, used several forged papers in his cons, but made his critical mistake when he linked the name Bruce with Australia's invasion of Hollywood.

"I thought he was Australian, all the rest in Hollywood seem to be from there," he told police.

Markovic used his resemblance to Willis to get into exclusive clubs and events, claiming he was on holiday in Serbia.

He even started stealing cars and used the resemblance to Willis to get police to not look too closely at the paperwork.

But he was caught after getting underworld contacts to forge him an Australian passport. He tried to use it to get out of trouble when he was pulled over by police at a routine roadside check in the southern Serbian town of Pirot.

When asked for his ID Markovic, who was wearing dark sunglasses and a cap, told officers he was Bruce Willis and handed over a passport, which even had a picture of the real star.

But police immediately arrested him when they saw the passport was Australian.

A further check revealed the car he was driving was stolen and an ensuing investigation linked him to other car thefts.

"When we pointed out the mistake he had to admit he wasn't the real thing," a police spokesman said.

"He said he thought that Willis, like Russell Crowe, Mel Gibson and Nicole Kidman, was Australian.

"He did look like him, but it was the Australian accent that gave it away."
Old Feb 3rd 2005, 12:03 am
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice
Default Re: Bruce Willis arrested over Australian accent

Originally Posted by jayr

He even started stealing cars and used the resemblance to Willis to get police to not look too closely at the paperwork.
Makes you wonder what really goes on!!

"He said he thought that Willis, like Russell Crowe, Mel Gibson and Nicole Kidman, was Australian.
Hmmmmmmmmmm, this has been covered a few times recently
Old Feb 3rd 2005, 12:11 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mlbonner
Makes you wonder what really goes on!!

Hmmmmmmmmmm, this has been covered a few times recently

That's why I posted it Seems many people think that Kidman, Gibson and Crowe are Australian, though this is the first time that I've heard of Bruce Willis being thought Australian...
Old Feb 3rd 2005, 12:27 am
Banned

Quinkana will become famous soon enoughQuinkana will become famous soon enough

That's why I posted it Seems many people think that Kidman, Gibson and Crowe are Australian, though this is the first time that I've heard of Bruce Willis being thought Australian...
Widely imitated, never duplicated. So why all these "pretenders" donning the mantle?
Old Feb 3rd 2005, 12:43 am
wombat42

Gibson is an Aussie.

Old Feb 3rd 2005, 12:49 am
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

Originally Posted by wombat42
Gibson is an Aussie.

Depends on who you ask

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Mel Gibson was born on January 3, 1956, in Peekskill, New York, His mum was born in Australia.
Originally Posted by JAJ
In which case he's not an Australian citizen unless he has registered as an Australian citizen by descent. As he was born before 1974 he may still be eligible although over 25, provided his mother did not lose her Australian citizenship.
Old Feb 3rd 2005, 12:58 am
Karma Comedian

Originally Posted by mlbonner
Depends on who you ask

Well this is what Mel has to say on the subject:

The actor says he now feels as much American as he does Australian and likes to think that he is part of both countries.

"I don't think of myself as either American or Australian really, I'm a true hybrid. It's a good thing for me because both of them are really good countries," he says.