Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Broadbeach or Southbank

Broadbeach or Southbank

Old Aug 22nd 2011, 7:52 pm
Banned

Keith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Broadbeach or Southbank

If you were going to emigrate to Australia, Old..................Given the current economic cycle/climate, the job situation, the downturn, loss of tourism etc etc?

Would you choose Brisbane Southbank CBD or Broadbeach Gold Coast, remember i will be working as a taxi driver for either the Gold Coast Taxi's or Black and White Cabs.....................
Old Aug 22nd 2011, 9:34 pm
Living our life wherever

Location: came back to oz after moving back to uk but not settled here so uk here i come, last time im moving
Trevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Broadbeach or Southbank

Originally Posted by Keith Moon
If you were going to emigrate to Australia, Old..................Given the current economic cycle/climate, the job situation, the downturn, loss of tourism etc etc?

Would you choose Brisbane Southbank CBD or Broadbeach Gold Coast, remember i will be working as a taxi driver for either the Gold Coast Taxi's or Black and White Cabs.....................
I would not bother with either as taxi drivers at present are getting hamered by the press and the taxi drivers are saying they are not making money.
Plus the cost of living will really hert in the city areas
Old Aug 22nd 2011, 9:57 pm
Banned

Keith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Trevski
I would not bother with either as taxi drivers at present are getting hamered by the press and the taxi drivers are saying they are not making money.
Plus the cost of living will really hert in the city areas
Is it that bad? Have to admit with the exchange rate, the rent, the price of a pint, its looking bleak, friggin timing is terrible, well p!ssed off with it all! Cannot believe how the costs have gone skyward, flights, rent, beer, but mainly due to the pound, also, like you say, i bet every man and his dog would work as a driver if real cash were there to be made?

Just feel there would maybe more of a chance to earn a crust in CBD than Surfers, due to the strong dollars?
Old Aug 22nd 2011, 10:05 pm
Living our life wherever

Location: came back to oz after moving back to uk but not settled here so uk here i come, last time im moving
Trevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of light

Is it that bad? Have to admit with the exchange rate, the rent, the price of a pint, its looking bleak, friggin timing is terrible, well p!ssed off with it all! Cannot believe how the costs have gone skyward, flights, rent, beer, but mainly due to the pound, also, like you say, i bet every man and his dog would work as a driver if real cash were there to be made?

Just feel there would maybe more of a chance to earn a crust in CBD than Surfers, due to the strong dollars?
with the un employment going the way it is here and more people being laid off, taxi is the easy way and i must be correct in the way i say this but a lot or 95% of taxi drivers come here from countries that dont speak english and work for a small wage or commission, so it is a very poorly paid/ commission job, i mean fuel has gone up to $1.45 p litre unleaded and diesel around $1.55 even lpg is getting expensive $0.70 per litre
our rego has doubled in cost, just to pay for rego on a small kia rio is now $653 per year and thats not including insurance, so just imagine a taxi cost
Old Aug 22nd 2011, 10:43 pm
Forum Regular

markntracy is an unknown quantity at this point

the only good thing about being a taxi driver is that all costs of running and maintaining the car are paid by the operator, you simply turn up and drive it. The downside is that the operator takes 55% of your takings.

A law last November also requires you to have held a queensland license for a year before you can do taxi work.

The hourly rate for taxi driving can be as low as $12 but this is mainly due to the waiting time between finishing a journey and finding the next fare.

Some drivers might source some of their own work however hiding this from the operator is difficult as all the taxis are tracked.

I hope this is helpful to you, I currently work as a limo driver(not stretched just a sedan), theres really no way to make a living from this however I am running at a small profit and everything helps supplement the wife wages.
Old Aug 22nd 2011, 11:00 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by markntracy
the only good thing about being a taxi driver is that all costs of running and maintaining the car are paid by the operator, you simply turn up and drive it. The downside is that the operator takes 55% of your takings.

A law last November also requires you to have held a queensland license for a year before you can do taxi work.

The hourly rate for taxi driving can be as low as $12 but this is mainly due to the waiting time between finishing a journey and finding the next fare.

Some drivers might source some of their own work however hiding this from the operator is difficult as all the taxis are tracked.

I hope this is helpful to you, I currently work as a limo driver(not stretched just a sedan), theres really no way to make a living from this however I am running at a small profit and everything helps supplement the wife wages.
Very helpfull....thanks or Danke............

Aquired my Qld license in October 2009, paid for a three year duration, so does not run out till October 2012..........Either be dead or single by then me thinks?

I need $700 bucks a week to survive, a simple gent with a big heart and a small ****, but hey, i am a grower not a shower..................
Old Aug 22nd 2011, 11:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Very helpfull....thanks or Danke............

Aquired my Qld license in October 2009, paid for a three year duration, so does not run out till October 2012..........Either be dead or single by then me thinks?

I need $700 bucks a week to survive, a simple gent with a big heart and a small ****, but hey, i am a grower not a shower..................
How about the buses? Brisbane transport are always on the lookout for drivers. I think you have to have held a QLD licence for three years, but you can apply online (I think).

Here's the link: http://employment.brisbane.qld.gov.a...W&sLanguage=en

Last edited by spartacus; Aug 22nd 2011 at 11:56 pm.
Old Aug 23rd 2011, 12:29 am
Banned

Originally Posted by spartacus
How about the buses? Brisbane transport are always on the lookout for drivers. I think you have to have held a QLD licence for three years, but you can apply online (I think).

Here's the link: http://employment.brisbane.qld.gov.a...W&sLanguage=en
I'll get you Blakey!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!