Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Broadband and Telephones - So Confused!!

Broadband and Telephones - So Confused!!

Old Mar 5th 2007, 10:01 am
Made it to the Other Side

Toon Williams the Second! is a name known to allToon Williams the Second! is a name known to allToon Williams the Second! is a name known to allToon Williams the Second! is a name known to allToon Williams the Second! is a name known to allToon Williams the Second! is a name known to allToon Williams the Second! is a name known to allToon Williams the Second! is a name known to allToon Williams the Second! is a name known to allToon Williams the Second! is a name known to allToon Williams the Second! is a name known to all
Default Broadband and Telephones - So Confused!!

We want to connect to Broadband and get a Telephone line, and basically want the best deal with the fastest connection to Broadband!!

So who would you recommend??

I dont know much about connection speed, but they do all seem alot slower than what we had in the UK, we were with BT Broadband for about 30 quid a month, unlimited and the fastest speed they did, what was it you ask, I have no idea, BUT it was a lot quicker than the one I am using at the moment!!

So if you can help please do I need to sort out ASAP!!

Edit:
AAPT have been recommended a couple of times, anyone out there use them, have any views on them??

Last edited by Toon Williams the Second!; Mar 5th 2007 at 10:03 am. Reason: Forgot a bit!
Old Mar 5th 2007, 10:05 am
Forum Regular

pogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nice
Default Re: Broadband and Telephones - So Confused!!

Try Westnet, and bundle your telephone line along with broadband.
Old Mar 5th 2007, 10:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Toon Williams the Second!
We want to connect to Broadband and get a Telephone line, and basically want the best deal with the fastest connection to Broadband!!

I dont know much about connection speed, but they do all seem alot slower than what we had in the UK, we were with BT Broadband for about 30 quid a month, unlimited and the fastest speed they did, what was it you ask, I have no idea, BUT it was a lot quicker than the one I am using at the moment!!

Edit:
AAPT have been recommended a couple of times, anyone out there use them, have any views on them??

My cousin uses AAPT, she say's they are excellent. Plus if she uses them you can almost gurantee they'll be the cheapest
Old Mar 5th 2007, 11:04 am
BE Forum Addict

kevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond repute

Westnet are good for businesses but I'm not sure about home users. I use Internode and they seem very reliable.
Have a look on the Whirlpool forum for recomendations (search for it on Google)

Just don't expect the good deals you can get in the UK :-((
Old Mar 5th 2007, 11:29 am
Forum Regular

Demented Ferret is just really niceDemented Ferret is just really niceDemented Ferret is just really niceDemented Ferret is just really niceDemented Ferret is just really niceDemented Ferret is just really niceDemented Ferret is just really niceDemented Ferret is just really niceDemented Ferret is just really niceDemented Ferret is just really niceDemented Ferret is just really nice

We were on Internode and they were good, but a bit expensive to set up with them wanting quite a bit up front - think we had to pay 3 months in advance. Have moved house since, and now having trouble getting a Broadband connection so had to get dial up but this is with AAPT - I know at the time their broadband was cheaper than Internode.
Old Mar 5th 2007, 7:31 pm
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute

We want to connect to Broadband and get a Telephone line...
Whirlpool
Old Mar 5th 2007, 7:57 pm
Account Closed

Deadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to behold

Edit:
Hiya,

My ADSL connection here (BigPond) is 6 times faster than my broadband was in the UK (Freeserve), the set-up was VERY easy and it was nice to have wireless for the first time ($300 set-up fee including the hardware).

Whether BigPond is competitive pricewise, I suspect not (I pay $70 a month for a pretty fast connection ... relative term but it does for me) and there have been short glitches in the service in my first month - email servers down, DNS down (this means the internet won't work, basically).

The thing that gets me about these outages is that they are NEVER reported on the 'service status' page of the BigPond website, probably for marketing reasons ... disappointing.

The thing to watch is the excess usage limits, if you go over these then you can get charged on some plans ... my connection 'shapes' me after I hit my limit so I still get access with no extra charge but at dial-up speeds.

Shaping is a nasty practice but I can see why telcos do it what with all the people out there file-sharing and watching video-on-demand, etc.

As others have mentioned, whirlpool is great for checking this stuff out.

Cheers,
Matt
Old Mar 16th 2007, 11:50 am
Just Joined

seafrontpete has a spectacular aura aboutseafrontpete has a spectacular aura aboutseafrontpete has a spectacular aura about

Hi All
New post here - just moved to Melbourne from Whitley Bay 6 weeks ago, carefull using bigpond I got a $600 bill for using webcam with the family back home. If you go cable pick the liberty plan at $70/month not the $40 200mb plan as they are swines.

I used to call BT!!!LOL

Pete
Old Mar 16th 2007, 12:07 pm
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

I found www.aanet.com.au to be the best value. And a rock solid connection.

Just avoid Bigpond or you will have a big bill

I also switched to telstra budget line rental and started using a VOIP phone, hardware will cost you about $180 but this included a ADSL model + wireless + VOIP.

Edit:

Last edited by themerlin; Mar 16th 2007 at 12:10 pm.
Old Mar 16th 2007, 10:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

kevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Deadmeat
Hiya,

My ADSL connection here (BigPond) is 6 times faster than my broadband was in the UK (Freeserve), the set-up was VERY easy and it was nice to have wireless for the first time ($300 set-up fee including the hardware).

Whether BigPond is competitive pricewise, I suspect not (I pay $70 a month for a pretty fast connection ... relative term but it does for me) and there have been short glitches in the service in my first month - email servers down, DNS down (this means the internet won't work, basically).

The thing that gets me about these outages is that they are NEVER reported on the 'service status' page of the BigPond website, probably for marketing reasons ... disappointing.

The thing to watch is the excess usage limits, if you go over these then you can get charged on some plans ... my connection 'shapes' me after I hit my limit so I still get access with no extra charge but at dial-up speeds.

Shaping is a nasty practice but I can see why telcos do it what with all the people out there file-sharing and watching video-on-demand, etc.

As others have mentioned, whirlpool is great for checking this stuff out.

Cheers,
Matt
6 times faster? what sort of connection did you have in the UK then as most UK connections are 8mb max and nearly everyone can get 2mb (I was at the end of the line and I got 2mb)

Maybe you are on ADSL2 here?
Old Mar 16th 2007, 11:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

billy0911 is just really nicebilly0911 is just really nicebilly0911 is just really nicebilly0911 is just really nicebilly0911 is just really nicebilly0911 is just really nicebilly0911 is just really nicebilly0911 is just really nicebilly0911 is just really nice

Originally Posted by seafrontpete
Hi All
New post here - just moved to Melbourne from Whitley Bay 6 weeks ago, carefull using bigpond I got a $600 bill for using webcam with the family back home. If you go cable pick the liberty plan at $70/month not the $40 200mb plan as they are swines.

I used to call BT!!!LOL

Pete
Hi
We have the liberty package my speed is 100.00mbps for $70 which is about £30 uk so far i have not had any problems but if you are going to be d/l movies etc you can check your daily usage on the bigpond website
so far since november i have only once been near the usage limit once as i was d/l movies etc so i would recommend bigpond, however i do know that some people from B.E. have had bad experence's from bigpond
i think they are great

Billy
Old Mar 16th 2007, 11:56 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

I have iinet ADSL2+ 24Mb broadband and bundled telephone service. It usually works out at about $120-140/month (broadband is $70 out of that) with phone calls. I'm starting to use VOIP so those costs should come down some. I bought 2 VOIP handsets on ebay for $20. Th ADSL2+ is super fast and much better than what I had in the UK. I get an effective 17-19Mb connection so downloading large torrent files is a breeze.
Old Mar 17th 2007, 12:00 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kevinbloomfield
6 times faster? what sort of connection did you have in the UK then as most UK connections are 8mb max and nearly everyone can get 2mb (I was at the end of the line and I got 2mb)

Maybe you are on ADSL2 here?
Is ADSL2+ available in the UK? It's quite common here in Perth. I guess this is due to the fact that the pioneers of ADSL2+ in Australia, iinet, are based in Perth. I live 30 minutes out of Perth in an (almost) semi-rural location and I get it.
Old Mar 17th 2007, 12:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Is ADSL2+ available in the UK? It's quite common here in Perth. I guess this is due to the fact that the pioneers of ADSL2+ in Australia, iinet, are based in Perth. I live 30 minutes out of Perth in an (almost) semi-rural location and I get it.
pioneer and Australia in 1 sentence - that's unusual don't you think?
Old Mar 17th 2007, 12:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by billy0911
Hi
We have the liberty package my speed is 100.00mbps for $70 which is about £30 uk so far i have not had any problems but if you are going to be d/l movies etc you can check your daily usage on the bigpond website
so far since november i have only once been near the usage limit once as i was d/l movies etc so i would recommend bigpond, however i do know that some people from B.E. have had bad experence's from bigpond
i think they are great

Billy
100?
Please send me the weblink for this service

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.