Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Broadband techie question!

Broadband techie question!

Old Nov 12th 2005, 12:56 am
Forum Regular

AnitaB has a brilliant futureAnitaB has a brilliant futureAnitaB has a brilliant futureAnitaB has a brilliant futureAnitaB has a brilliant futureAnitaB has a brilliant futureAnitaB has a brilliant futureAnitaB has a brilliant future
Smile Broadband techie question!

Hi

Quick question!

If I buy an Adsl modem/router for a wireless network for use with Aol in the UK, can I bring this over and use it in Australia?

Cheers

MichaelB
Old Nov 12th 2005, 1:07 am
Banned

pompeywill is a jewel in the roughpompeywill is a jewel in the roughpompeywill is a jewel in the roughpompeywill is a jewel in the roughpompeywill is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Broadband techie question!

Originally Posted by AnitaB
Hi

Quick question!

If I buy an Adsl modem/router for a wireless network for use with Aol in the UK, can I bring this over and use it in Australia?

Cheers

MichaelB
I dont think so,
someone was on about this the other day, they couldn't get broadband to work on their UK modem. Went out and bought an Aussie one and it was fine.
Old Nov 12th 2005, 5:17 am
Drunken Aussie

brisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nice

depends on the modem, and who you buy it through. a generic one (i.e. not as part of a bundle from an ISP) should be fine.
Old Nov 12th 2005, 5:29 am

A dogs life is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by brisnick
depends on the modem, and who you buy it through. a generic one (i.e. not as part of a bundle from an ISP) should be fine.

Some of the broadband providers here are quite specific what modem they will allow you to use to access their broadband. Thats not to say a generic one wouldn't work, but I guess you'd just have to lie to them and say yes you have the specific brand of modem they require, and then use your own type.