Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Broadband Survey - Good Recommendations

Broadband Survey - Good Recommendations

Old May 21st 2006, 3:58 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Broadband Survey - Good Recommendations

Some solid information for those looking for or wondering about an Internet Service Provider in Australia. The Whirlpool forums are, despite the name, all about Internet access in Australia and offer a huge amount of top quality information on the subject. They recently finished putting together a comprehensive survey of broadband Internet access, which you can find here. If you can't be arsed to read through it all, then allow me to round-up a few of the points.
  1. Over 90% of Internet users say value for money is either the same or better than last year
  2. Optus and Telstra continue to be *really* bad ISPs
  3. Westnet and iNode are currently the two highest rated ISPs
  4. The vast majority of people pay for their account by credit card direct debit
  5. Optus take bloody ages to answer the phone and rarely solve the problem
  6. 10% off all those surveyed used VOIP for *all* their phone needs
  7. 98% of Westnet or iNodes customers surveyed would recommend them to a friend, only 40% of Telstra's and 70% of Optus's would

Old May 21st 2006, 4:26 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Question Re: Broadband Survey - Good Recommendations

Originally Posted by Hutch
Some solid information for those looking for or wondering about an Internet Service Provider in Australia. The Whirlpool forums are, despite the name, all about Internet access in Australia and offer a huge amount of top quality information on the subject. They recently finished putting together a comprehensive survey of broadband Internet access, which you can find here. If you can't be arsed to read through it all, then allow me to round-up a few of the points.
  1. Over 90% of Internet users say value for money is either the same or better than last year
  2. Optus and Telstra continue to be *really* bad ISPs
  3. Westnet and iNode are currently the two highest rated ISPs
  4. The vast majority of people pay for their account by credit card direct debit
  5. Optus take bloody ages to answer the phone and rarely solve the problem
  6. 10% off all those surveyed used VOIP for *all* their phone needs
  7. 98% of Westnet or iNodes customers surveyed would recommend them to a friend, only 40% of Telstra's and 70% of Optus's would

Nice one, mate.

I am keen to find an ISP with no download limits and preferably offering DSL or ADSL2.

Any chance of receiving either one at a reasonable price?
Old May 21st 2006, 4:45 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Broadband Survey - Good Recommendations

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
Any chance of receiving either one at a reasonable price?
Hmm, just found a dozen or more.

Not too shabby; nice to know that unlimited services are available!
Old May 21st 2006, 5:28 pm
is happy to be here :)

Tiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Broadband Survey - Good Recommendations

You are in the U.K aren't you?

Hutch is on about Oz
Old May 21st 2006, 5:29 pm
is happy to be here :)

Tiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tiawamutu

Hutch is on about Oz
UKONLINE is what we have, no d/load limits, good service, 2 mb for 14.99 month
Old May 21st 2006, 6:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Luma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond repute

come on share the information with us

Old May 21st 2006, 7:58 pm
Fighting my corner

Smile Re: Broadband Survey - Good Recommendations

Originally Posted by Tiawamutu
Yes, that's right.

Hutch is on about Oz
Yes, I know.

I've got unlimited Telewest Broadband cable at the moment (4mb for £14.99) and was wondering what I could replace it with when I eventually go back home.
Old May 21st 2006, 11:54 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Just changed to Internode and they have been fine: $30 pm for 500Mb then shaped.
Old May 22nd 2006, 12:00 am
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Wol
Just changed to Internode and they have been fine: $30 pm for 500Mb then shaped.

I was on Internode. Then our BB cut out one day and disappeared for most of a week with no explanation. Hub was onto their tech support for hours and they still couldn't sort it. Eventually they passed the prob on to Telstra who of course own the line etc.
After a few more days it was sorted.
We've switched to Telstra given that when there's a problem they're the people who you need to speak to anyway, so we cut out the middleman.
Apart from them being ever so slightly brusk on the phone, they've actually been very good so far and no loss of service at all.
Old May 22nd 2006, 12:08 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

There *has* been a problem with Internode support recently because they have had an unprecedentd number of new customers following on from Hypermax abruptly closing down without explanation (Hypermax being owned by Telstra!)
Old May 22nd 2006, 12:43 am
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Wol
There *has* been a problem with Internode support recently because they have had an unprecedentd number of new customers following on from Hypermax abruptly closing down without explanation (Hypermax being owned by Telstra!)

The support were absolutely fine, but the prob was at the Telstra end and Internode couldn't do anything about it. If you have a problem with your supplier then the prob gets referred to Telstra, but if you're not a Telstra customer, then your work won't be done as priority, where ours now will....
Given that we're both working from home and one of us for a UK company, then if the BB goes down, we're in deep trouble.

Going with Telstra has just ruled out problems taking a long time to fix.
Old May 22nd 2006, 12:50 am
Drunken Aussie

brisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nice

Be careful with the 'unlimited' thing. Most of these plans shape oyur speed to 128kbps or less after you reach X GB of downloads. Technically that gives you unlimited downloads, but in reality is a big con.

Yes, that's right.

Yes, I know.

I've got unlimited Telewest Broadband cable at the moment (4mb for £14.99) and was wondering what I could replace it with when I eventually go back home.
Old May 22nd 2006, 1:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Teliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brisnick
Be careful with the 'unlimited' thing. Most of these plans shape oyur speed to 128kbps or less after you reach X GB of downloads. Technically that gives you unlimited downloads, but in reality is a big con.
We have a great plan, completely unlimited and unshaped, we can download whatever we want when we want
Old May 22nd 2006, 2:17 am
Drunken Aussie

brisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nice

Share who you are with? Not that it matters to me, I won't pay more than $40/month - and I get 30GB for that, and I haven't got close to blowing it.

Originally Posted by Teliko21
We have a great plan, completely unlimited and unshaped, we can download whatever we want when we want
Old May 22nd 2006, 3:02 am
Fighting my corner

Smile Re: Broadband Survey - Good Recommendations

Originally Posted by brisnick
Yes, I'm aware of that. However, by using Whirlpool's Plan Search function, I was able to get a list of more than dozen ISPs with no download limits or shaping.

You can click here for the results of my search.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.