Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Broadband Speeds in Ormeau Exchange

Broadband Speeds in Ormeau Exchange

Old Mar 27th 2007, 4:06 am
Forum Regular

karmagirls has a brilliant futurekarmagirls has a brilliant futurekarmagirls has a brilliant futurekarmagirls has a brilliant futurekarmagirls has a brilliant futurekarmagirls has a brilliant futurekarmagirls has a brilliant futurekarmagirls has a brilliant future
Default Re: Broadband Speeds in Ormeau Exchange

Originally Posted by themerlin
I have used aanet now for a while and find them very good value.
They're one of the ones I'm looking at. What plan are you on? I'm thinking of getting the 8mbps one over a 12 month contract. It works out at $109 a month and thats for up to 48gb of usage I think.
Old Mar 27th 2007, 5:01 am
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

On a 512 plan with 6 gigs I think.
Costs me about $34 a month.

I find that speed is OK for what I do.

Originally Posted by karmagirls
They're one of the ones I'm looking at. What plan are you on? I'm thinking of getting the 8mbps one over a 12 month contract. It works out at $109 a month and thats for up to 48gb of usage I think.
Old Mar 27th 2007, 6:46 am
BE Enthusiast

mbike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Deadmeat
Isn't the 24 a theotical maximum which reduces according to other factors (distance from exchange, etc)?

No fun if you have bought into the plan expecting to get those kinds of speeds I guess ... I bet the advertising doesn't state this too clearly either ...
FWIW the price I pay for the Amnet 24/1mb Service is the same as I used to pay for the Westnet 512/128 which used to give me about 340/101 (on a good day).

There is a question mark on the efficacy of the Netgear DG834g I am using, as it will only sync in multimode, not ADSL2+ mode. I haven't got around moaning to Amnet so the speed is straight out of the box.

Mark
Old Mar 27th 2007, 7:34 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mbike
Don't hold your breath. We have the Amnet ADSL2+ 24 Mb service in Shenton Park and only get 5700 Mb dl (which is within the Amnet "acceptable" service).

Mark
I have iinet 24Mb and get 17-19Mb and I am about 1km from Kalamunda exchange. Cable quality and number of cable junctions/joints are a factor too. I think I am probably the only person in my street to have ADSL2+ though. I have never picked up another wireless network and when I speak to my neighbours about ADSL2+ I get blank looks.

Last edited by Amazulu; Mar 27th 2007 at 7:36 am.
Old Mar 27th 2007, 9:48 am
Account Closed

Deadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by themerlin
Yep I think you have to live in the exchange to get that speed

Here is a graph
http://www.internode.on.net/adsl2/graph/index.htm
Good link, haven't seen that graph before.
Old Mar 27th 2007, 9:52 am
Account Closed

Deadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by mbike
FWIW the price I pay for the Amnet 24/1mb Service is the same as I used to pay for the Westnet 512/128 which used to give me about 340/101 (on a good day).

There is a question mark on the efficacy of the Netgear DG834g I am using, as it will only sync in multimode, not ADSL2+ mode. I haven't got around moaning to Amnet so the speed is straight out of the box.

Mark
Prices are dropping all the time ... I paid through the nose for my old 512/128 connection (in the UK) a few years ago ... I probably still am with BigPond but I was impressed by their hardware and set-up kit.
Old Mar 27th 2007, 12:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

mbike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Deadmeat
Prices are dropping all the time ... I paid through the nose for my old 512/128 connection (in the UK) a few years ago ... I probably still am with BigPond but I was impressed by their hardware and set-up kit.
What finally did it for me with Westnet was when they started charging 4.50 a month for the static IP which used to be free - it's like they want to lose customers for a bet or something
Old Mar 27th 2007, 1:37 pm
Account Closed

Paul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant future

I'm in Ormeau as Penny said, and have given up with the thought of ASDL (let alone ADSL2) ever!

Before move I had a 8mb line, 40Gb for $99 with Internode and was very happy.

Been with dial up for six weeks and .......

I'll refrain!

Anyway, ONLY option for Broadband for me is this Wireless setup so had my little ariel installed today and so far so good!

VERY expensive @ $100 for a 512k connection with a measly 10Gb per month ...

Maximum available is a 1meg line and I think 30Gb for $300pm ...lol, so we'll be happy with our 1/2 a meg line for now thank you.

I've spent all night networking PC's as my wireless router is the old one for DSL, but finally got it all sorted ...

Currently downloading form UkNova at a whooping 55 - 60kb/s ...