Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Broadband Recommendation

Wikiposts

Broadband Recommendation

Old Apr 7th 2004, 11:23 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by jayr
What security do I need if I'm on Broadband, I have heard you need a firewall. Should I contact my local builders merchant?
Ho ho.

I use a billion 741GEV2 which is a 4 port firewall/router/10 100switch. There is the 743GEV2 which also has wireless capability. They are good value for money. You could run a software firewall on your PC but I am not a fan. The only advantage a doftware firewall has is it informs you when a program accesses the internet.

I advise the use of a modem/router rather than an attached modem. It removes the driver overhead on your PC.

DUP I do not know of anyone who uses satellite broadband.
Old Apr 7th 2004, 11:25 am
I like kittens.

downunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by bondipom
DUP I do not know of anyone who uses satellite broadband.
Bugger! Looks like I'm going to be the guinea pig (again!), then. Thanks anyway, BP.
Old Apr 7th 2004, 11:34 am

DUP this forum might interest you

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-threads.cfm?f=67
Old Apr 7th 2004, 11:37 am
I like kittens.

downunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to behold

DUP this forum might interest you

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-threads.cfm?f=67
Thanks, mate. I'll have a browse at lunchtime.
Old Apr 7th 2004, 12:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jaykay has a spectacular aura aboutJaykay has a spectacular aura aboutJaykay has a spectacular aura about

What security do I need if I'm on Broadband, I have heard you need a firewall. Should I contact my local builders merchant?
I bought one of these. $85.00 which I thought was a decent price.

Regards
Old Apr 7th 2004, 12:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jaykay has a spectacular aura aboutJaykay has a spectacular aura aboutJaykay has a spectacular aura about

Originally posted by Jaykay
I bought one of these. $85.00 which I thought was a decent price.

Regards
Oops, forgot to add the link:

It's the Billion 5100.

http://www.hyperbyte.com.au/ADSLrouter.htm#Billion BIPAC-5100ADSL Modem/Router with 4-Port Switch
Old Apr 7th 2004, 2:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

dracupg is an unknown quantity at this point

2 Way satellite broadband is pretty expensive. For a 512/128 link, it will be about $450pm (3Gb limit, which I think is combined upload & download).

The transmission equipment required is pretty serious too. You probably won’t get much change out of $1000 by the time you are done.
Old Apr 7th 2004, 2:03 pm

Originally posted by Jaykay
Oops, forgot to add the link:

It's the Billion 5100.

http://www.hyperbyte.com.au/ADSLrouter.htm#Billion BIPAC-5100ADSL Modem/Router with 4-Port Switch
Jaykay that is probably the best router/modem for home users. They are excellent value.
Old Apr 7th 2004, 2:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jaykay that is probably the best router/modem for home users. They are excellent value.
And very easy to install too. I was very proud of myself cos I got it all up and running on my own, and if I can do it, anyone can
Old Apr 7th 2004, 2:16 pm
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

So if you get one of them, do you not need to bother with firewall software?
Old Apr 7th 2004, 2:19 pm

So if you get one of them, do you not need to bother with firewall software?
That is correct.
Old Apr 7th 2004, 2:42 pm
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

Does this replace the modem my ISP is sending me or do I connect one to the other?

Jeez, I've been using computers for years but you wouldn't think it
Old Apr 7th 2004, 2:55 pm

Does this replace the modem my ISP is sending me or do I connect one to the other?

Jeez, I've been using computers for years but you wouldn't think it
What modem is your ISP sending you? Are you going optus cable or ADSL for your broadband?
Old Apr 7th 2004, 3:15 pm
Karma Comedian

DSL
Old Apr 7th 2004, 3:26 pm

DSL
If it is a plain modem then you will need a software firewall. I have used Zonealarm free edition which is OK.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.