Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Broadband provisioning in Australia is retarded

Broadband provisioning in Australia is retarded

Old Apr 20th 2010, 3:20 am
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Broadband provisioning in Australia is retarded

Please don't discuss....It's a fact! Grrrrrrr......
Old Apr 20th 2010, 3:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Broadband provisioning in Australia is retarded

Immigration to Australia 101..
Old Apr 20th 2010, 3:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DunRoaminTheUK

Do you mean Shaping or Throttling.... TPG have stopped doing this on their 79 dollar account and shape to 2 mb's on some accounts. This means the others will be forced to follow..... It's only a recent thing with TPG, last month I think, so it will take a while, but I"m sure it will happen.

I'm actually going to talk to IInet and ask them what it would cost me to be shaped to 1 mb's once my 120 gig limit is reached. 1 mb's will make the net run fairly smoothly for things like youtube etc.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Apr 20th 2010 at 3:51 am.
Old Apr 20th 2010, 4:07 am
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Do you mean Shaping or Throttling.... TPG have stopped doing this on their 79 dollar account and shape to 2 mb's on some accounts. This means the others will be forced to follow..... It's only a recent thing with TPG, last month I think, so it will take a while, but I"m sure it will happen.

I'm actually going to talk to IInet and ask them what it would cost me to be shaped to 1 mb's once my 120 gig limit is reached. 1 mb's will make the net run fairly smoothly for things like youtube etc.
I mean actually getting ADSL2. I've just been told that I'll NEVER be able to get it because of the f*****g RIM device that those super-retards Telstra put in between the fibre from the exchange and my house....

So Naked DSL and BoB (iiNet) will always remain a dream for me and my 2 year old housing estate. Pure genius......

Add onto that the fact that Optus told me to disconnect my phone when a service transfer was attempted from another property (whilst already having a functioning iiNet phone and broadband service at my place and after querying Optus 3 f*****g times about the validity of this request) only to discover they don't have access to my estate (what the f**k does that mean - Australia, the home of anti-competitive behaviour) and which ended with a "Goodbye, we can't help you...oh and you'll have to pay iiNet to reconnect your f****g phone by the way". The culmination of which is that I now have a 3 week wait to get re-connected to shitty old ADSL1.

I like Australia but I F*****G HATE the telecommunications industry here. Arghhhh!

F*****g update: Apparently I also need to pay a fee to re-connect my broadband too so a total cost of $139 for doing something that was completely unnecessary!!!!

Last edited by DunRoaminTheUK; Apr 20th 2010 at 4:26 am. Reason: Because Australia needs to be warned about retards masquerading as people who claim to know what they are doing!!!
Old Apr 20th 2010, 4:16 am
Chan eil aon chànan gu le

scottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond repute

I mean actually getting ADSL2. I've just been told that I'll NEVER be able to get it because of the f*****g RIM device that those super-retards Telstra put in between the fibre from the exchange and my house....

So Naked DSL and BoB (iiNet) will always remain a dream for me and my 2 year old housing estate. Pure genius......

Add onto that the fact that Optus told me to disconnect my phone when a service transfer was attempted from another property (whilst already having a functioning iiNet phone and broadband service at my place and after querying Optus 3 f*****g times about the validity of this request) only to discover they don't have access to my estate (what the f**k does that mean - Australia, the home of anti-competitive behaviour) and which ended with a "Goodbye, we can't help you...oh and you'll have to pay iiNet to reconnect your f****g phone by the way". The culmination of which is that I now have a 3 week wait to get re-connected to shitty old ADSL1.

I like Australia but I F*****G HATE the telecommunications industry here. Arghhhh!
Oh the absolute joys. We couldn't believe it when we first arrived and ran into the same problems. Our rental was on a new estate and there was wasn't even phone line channels installed when the houses were built we had to pay for all that.
Old Apr 20th 2010, 6:08 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

F*****g update: Apparently I also need to pay a fee to re-connect my broadband too so a total cost of $139 for doing something that was completely unnecessary!!!!
I've never had a problem. I have pretty fast ADSL2+ that has rarely had any downtime in the 4 years I've had it. I have had no issues with iinet whatsoever.

So it's not all of Australia - just parts of it that have the problems you describe. There are people in the UK who can't get ADSL2+.
Old Apr 20th 2010, 6:10 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

which estate do you live in ?

cheers
Old Apr 20th 2010, 6:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Hmm I can see your frustration. Check to see if you can get a TPG 8 mb (ADSL 1 ) link..They use Telstra lines. I'd be trying to stay away from Telstra (bigpond) at all costs as they have caused this situation.
Old Apr 20th 2010, 6:34 am
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

Originally Posted by Amazulu
I've never had a problem. I have pretty fast ADSL2+ that has rarely had any downtime in the 4 years I've had it. I have had no issues with iinet whatsoever.

So it's not all of Australia - just parts of it that have the problems you describe. There are people in the UK who can't get ADSL2+.
Then you're a lucky chap aren't you. I never said that I had a problem with iiNet and I was generalising about Optus, AAPT and Telstra when I said I hated the telecomms industry here too.

It's not iiNet that are the problem here either. It's the likes of Telstra for disrupting what could have been a fast connection from the exchange to my house with short-sighted penny pinching and anti-competitive practices. Fibre runs from the exchange to within spitting distance of my house but Telstra put a RIM in the way, as they have pervasively throughout the Brisbane metropolitan area. I wonder if there are large parts of London which cannot receive ADSL2 these days? Hmmm?
Old Apr 20th 2010, 6:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Brisbane metropolitan area. I wonder if there are large parts of London which cannot receive ADSL2 these days? Hmmm?

Is that a bit like comparing Norwich to New York?
Old Apr 20th 2010, 6:43 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Then you're a lucky chap aren't you. I never said that I had a problem with iiNet and I was generalising about Optus, AAPT and Telstra when I said I hated the telecomms industry here too.
And I was just pointing out that it was not the whole of Australia's telecom industry (read your thread title) that is crap, only part of it, including the part you have to deal with.
Old Apr 20th 2010, 6:48 am
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

Originally Posted by JackTheLad
A capital is a capital in my eyes.
Old Apr 20th 2010, 6:55 am
Proudly Deplorable

A capital is a capital in my eyes.
A quick check on where I used to live in Surrey (inside the M25) has shown that ADSL2+ is not available there - and there are no plans to install it anytime soon. Max speed is 8Mb.
Old Apr 20th 2010, 7:05 am
BE Forum Addict

pproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud of

Telstra been on the phone for 2 hours trying to get a transfer of phone lease after paperwork went in a week ago. Straight swop of phone and Internet with no disconection.

Their final answer after 2 hours, we've sorted your phone and can't put your internet on for another 2 days even though it had never been switched off in the first place just a transfer of name on bill. The Bigpond side say the phone is not conected despite the fact I was sat there talking to them on it and that I'd have to wait 2 days for it to be connected.

Technology is rocket sience to most Aussies it would seem.

Old Apr 20th 2010, 7:30 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JackTheLad
I'd settle for Norwich. At least they can get ADSL 1 - Unlike the entire two streets around me of new builds because the geniuses at Telstra upgraded the exchange to ADSL2 but forgot that every other point in this area is served by a RIMs which were already full anyway.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.