Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

broadband prices, joke??

broadband prices, joke??

Old Sep 20th 2004, 6:36 pm
Tupperware's #1 fan

JayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud of
Default broadband prices, joke??

on my never ending quest to find everything out before the big arival, And the fact that I am bored stupid I have been looking at Broadband prices.

Can anyone recommend a reliable and cheap company. I want at least 512 speed and unlimited downloads Bigpond are $90 or $120 for 1500 speed. Major rip off.

Any info from you on the other side would be greatly appreciated.

Kala
Old Sep 20th 2004, 7:41 pm
heehaugh

Granger will become famous soon enoughGranger will become famous soon enough
Default Re: broadband prices, joke??

Surely that is not a month. I take it that is a year, and currently my broadband with freeserve costs me £17.99 a month unlimited, total for year £215.88, quite a lot I know, that's approx $555.00 p/a so it looks like I would save over there.

Last edited by Granger; Sep 20th 2004 at 8:35 pm.
Old Sep 20th 2004, 7:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

debsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to all

I would also be interested in the answer to this. I am interested in Broadband in the Gold Coast area.

A lot of them seem to have restricted download amounts but I have not got a clue about these amounts and how long you could be on line for before you filled your quota.

Any ideas?
I see AOL also offer a service in Australia.
Old Sep 20th 2004, 7:57 pm
Tupperware's #1 fan

JayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Granger
Surely that is not a month. I take it that is a year, and currently my broadband with freeserve costs me £17.99 a month unlimited, total for year £215.88, quite a lot I know, that's approx $85.00 p/a so it looks like I would save over there.
Monthly I'm afraid and you have to sign up for 12 or 24 months, you also have to pay quite a lot for connection (in the hundreds $$$) and the modem is also highly priced so take your with you when you go.

Sorry for the cut and paste but it's all here in black and white

http://www.bigpond.com/internet-plans/broadband/adsl/

If you go to the bottom of the page and select "calulate the minimum cost for your contract" you can fill in what you want and it adds it al up for you. I am looking at $1700 for a year. I curently pay £288 and my modem was only a tenner and I am not stuck in a contract so it looks like there will be no savings on broadband in Australia.

Anyone know a cheaper company?

Kala

Last edited by kala; Sep 20th 2004 at 8:03 pm.
Old Sep 20th 2004, 8:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

debsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to all

Originally Posted by kala
Monthly I'm afraid and you have to sign up for 12 or 24 months, you also have to pay quite a lot for connection (in the hundreds $$$) and the modem is also highly priced so take your with you when you go.

Sorry for the cut and paste but it's all here in black and white

http://www.bigpond.com/internet-plans/broadband/adsl/

Anyone know a cheaper company?

Kala
:scared:
Old Sep 20th 2004, 8:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Surely that is not a month. I take it that is a year, and currently my broadband with freeserve costs me £17.99 a month unlimited, total for year £215.88, quite a lot I know, that's approx $85.00 p/a so it looks like I would save over there.
I think your calulations are a wee bit out. 215 quid is about $537 AUD (at a rate of 1GBP=2.5AUD)
Old Sep 20th 2004, 8:20 pm
heehaugh

Oh my god, I had no idea, like many other people won't :scared: . Do you think my modem will work there though, I thought it only worked with the same supplier, eg, I'm with freeserve so it would only work with freeserve? Hope not, as I have two modems, so if this would work there I'll be sure to bring them. Gen up I would not even have thought of taken them. So you helped me out tonight!
Old Sep 20th 2004, 8:25 pm
heehaugh

Ooops yes you are right, put the british pound and australian dollar wrong way around when calculating the currency convertor, never even questioned it? Total fool!

Last edited by Granger; Sep 20th 2004 at 8:30 pm.
Old Sep 20th 2004, 8:32 pm
Tupperware's #1 fan

Oh my god, I had no idea, like many other people won't :scared: . Do you think my modem will work there though, I thought it only worked with the same supplier, eg, I'm with freeserve so it would only work with freeserve? Hope not, as I have two modems, so if this would work there I'll be sure to bring them. Gen up I would not even have thought of taken them. So you helped me out tonight!

As far as I am aware they will work, all you should have to do is change the plug or get an adaptor. dont forget to take you filters either.

Some one please correct me if I am wrong. I am on Virgin and my speedtouch modem came from them so fingers crossed it works.

Oh well some things will be cheaper and others more expensive, namely anything to to with telecomunication but I am not goin back to dial up so I guess i'll just have to pay that bit extra. At least Pizza is cheaper

Kala
Old Sep 20th 2004, 9:36 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Kala,
Lots of areas can't get broadband, so make sure Geraldton is covered :scared:
And I'm willing to stand corrected on this - cos I only use dialup - but I understand that getting broadband here doesn't make things as quick as the UK.
Almost all the packages limit downloads, and charge you if you go over the top.
Old Sep 20th 2004, 9:43 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Here's some info I put in my favourites recently gals....

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=253273

http://www.telsyte.com.au/market/feb_2004_bb_list.htm

http://www.westnet.com.au/
Old Sep 20th 2004, 9:47 pm

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

Internet is a major rip off in Oz.......Broadband is much cheaper than dial up over here....only prob is even the new homes here dont get the copper cable needed to support broadband......so that is a big problem too. I am in a new house and I cant get broadband but the best deal I did find was with www.dataco.com.au they have good plans from $35 a month, and if you dont want to sign up to a contract the only option is www.ozemail.com.au
Good Luck
Old Sep 20th 2004, 10:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

Out of the 2 houses we have lived in neither of them can get broadband not even ADSL which goes down your current line. First house was brand new and did not have the right cabling and this house has an insufficient exchange. Luckily the house we have bought can get it.

Dial up is really expensive each time you log on it costs you 15-17c for the call. Even with 100 free calls a month I log up another 60 at least, plus $21.45 a month fee for unlimited.

Look up Optusnet they are promoting broadband at the monent for $29 a month (approx) 256 speed, works out less than dial up with the call costs factored in. The modem was around $90 when I looked into it and they send you a kit to connect it yourself.
Old Sep 20th 2004, 11:05 pm
Badge

I could be wrong Pollyanna but broadband may be slower than other types elsewhere (Australia or the UK) but it will be faster than dialup. Unless you have infrastructure issues.

Old Sep 20th 2004, 11:07 pm
owieb

Checkout http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/ for all the service providers, their costs and performance. You will also be able to do a search and find out if you can get ADSL in the area you intend to live.

I'm with Swiftel, 1500/256, about 36Gb download and $100 per month.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.