Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Broadband Prices

Broadband Prices

Old Jul 31st 2008, 11:51 pm
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Broadband Prices

Originally Posted by wengerboy View Post
what a crock of shit,unless you can download a kilo of bolivian on it whats da point!
Are you saying that this is a stupid idea on the part of customs or that you doubt the validity of the story?

With all the major ISP's in the UK 'getting into bed' with the BPI (http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/news/index.cfm?newsid=13820) I now think that the tide is turning for torrent downloaders, in terms of being implicitly protected by the ISP.

Anythings possible as a consequence. Once the floodgates of IP traffic policing are open there will be no going back.
Old Aug 1st 2008, 2:58 am
BE Enthusiast

tictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DunRoaminTheUK View Post
Are you saying that this is a stupid idea on the part of customs or that you doubt the validity of the story?

With all the major ISP's in the UK 'getting into bed' with the BPI (http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/news/index.cfm?newsid=13820) I now think that the tide is turning for torrent downloaders, in terms of being implicitly protected by the ISP.

Anythings possible as a consequence. Once the floodgates of IP traffic policing are open there will be no going back.
It'll never happen

Offering bandwidth & speed is what keeps ISPs in business

As soon as they start firing off cease and desist letters to their customers, they'll be off like a shot.

No torrent downloaders=no bandwidth/speed requirement=no revenue=no ISP

Your 'mainstream' ISPs (Bigpond et al) might try their chances

Serious ISPs will not
Old Aug 1st 2008, 8:19 am
Up The Arse!!

wengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DunRoaminTheUK View Post

I`m saying both! yes it`s a dumbass idea and yes it was a column filler.

as tictac mentioned before, no bandwidth no point lets all go dial up
Old Aug 4th 2008, 3:13 am
Forum Regular

lee28 is just really nicelee28 is just really nicelee28 is just really nicelee28 is just really nicelee28 is just really nicelee28 is just really nicelee28 is just really nicelee28 is just really nicelee28 is just really nicelee28 is just really nicelee28 is just really nice

If your ISP starts sending you cease and desist letters like they did to me years ago before the RIAA had any authority in the UK I would simply just change ISP. Mind you tho I was Downloading 500gig a month on average.
Old Aug 4th 2008, 8:29 am
Forum Regular

MattW82 is just really niceMattW82 is just really niceMattW82 is just really niceMattW82 is just really niceMattW82 is just really niceMattW82 is just really niceMattW82 is just really niceMattW82 is just really niceMattW82 is just really nice

I can't believe how expensive broadband appears to be in Oz compared to the UK. I've been looking at http://broadbandguide.com.au and for even a measly 20gb download limit on an 8mb+ connection it's $70 a month! BB with a bundled telephone line appears to be slightly better value for money but still, it's like harking back what to prices were like here in the UK about 5 years ago.
Old Aug 4th 2008, 8:45 am
BE Enthusiast

tictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MattW82 View Post
I can't believe how expensive broadband appears to be in Oz compared to the UK. I've been looking at http://broadbandguide.com.au and for even a measly 20gb download limit on an 8mb+ connection it's $70 a month! BB with a bundled telephone line appears to be slightly better value for money but still, it's like harking back what to prices were like here in the UK about 5 years ago.
In fairness, there are far better deals to be had than that, but yes, comparatively speaking it's quite expensive.
Old Oct 15th 2008, 2:53 am
Forum Regular

bigpaul has a spectacular aura aboutbigpaul has a spectacular aura aboutbigpaul has a spectacular aura about

I've done some research since being over here and I've found Dodo to be the cheapest for ADSL 2 and home phone with 100,000 / 100,000. Suprised no one has mentioned them???

https://secure.dodo.com.au/wizard/se...spx#usernumber
Old Oct 15th 2008, 5:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bigpaul View Post
I've done some research since being over here and I've found Dodo to be the cheapest for ADSL 2 and home phone with 100,000 / 100,000. Suprised no one has mentioned them???

I keep a close eye on these things, got to admit that one had passed me by.

I think TPG are a better company than Dodo, although thats just heresay...http://www.tpg.com.au/products_servi...us_pricing.php

and IInet even better. Still 10 bucks per month cheaper than TPG for Dodo is pretty good going.

Bear in mind there will probably be a 33 buck per month line rental payable to Telstra on top of that.

Thats why the IInet naked plans (no line rental) are possibly the best option still.

Optus may well warrant a mention as well, as they have a plan which includes all calls including mobiles and excluding some international ones for 129 bucks per month... only 30 gigs allowance at ADSL2 though which is crap, although the throttle speed is a worthy 256 k.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Oct 15th 2008 at 5:14 am.
Old Oct 15th 2008, 5:37 am
HMP Queensland

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bigpaul View Post

I'm still on dial up which is with Dodo, and is as fast as some of the broadband connections I've used at other people's houses here. The other advantage is that they let you dial in, its not tied to our phone number, so when we go to the MiL in Woop Woop I can just use her phone line to dial in to dodo, and all it costs her is the connection fee of a local call. Not a cat in hells of a wireless connection out there so without dodo I'd be a seriously cross witch.
Dodo don't get mentioned often, and I've never understood why because they are good, in fact by Aussie internet standards they are excellent !
Old Oct 15th 2008, 5:58 am
DownUnder

datamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana View Post
I'm still on dial up which is with Dodo, and is as fast as some of the broadband connections I've used at other people's houses here. The other advantage is that they let you dial in, its not tied to our phone number, so when we go to the MiL in Woop Woop I can just use her phone line to dial in to dodo, and all it costs her is the connection fee of a local call. Not a cat in hells of a wireless connection out there so without dodo I'd be a seriously cross witch.
Dodo don't get mentioned often, and I've never understood why because they are good, in fact by Aussie internet standards they are excellent !
iinet ADSL has a dial up account to usw if your adsl is not on-line
Old Oct 15th 2008, 6:42 am
HMP Queensland

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by datamile View Post
iinet ADSL has a dial up account to usw if your adsl is not on-line
Yeah? Might be worth looking at, but can I dial in from ANY phone number? Most of them say you can only dial in from your home number, and being difficult I want the ability to dial in from the MiLs place as well.
Old Oct 15th 2008, 7:30 am
Citizen Of The World

benlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by MattW82 View Post
At current UK prices (driven by rampant competition) the ISPs are making almost nothing and life is very difficult for them. Hence the appalling customer service - it's just not worth their time to try and solve your problem, since they'll lose several months' worth of margin on even the simplest call. Plus the UK has plenty of capacity.

I used to be with Demon in the UK - they cost more than others but gave good service and when you called up tech support you spoke to a real live engineer who knew what (s)he was talking about. Over the last few years all that's vanished since they couldn't keep up the service levels and compete on price; they ended up just like all the other ISPs. Personally, I'd rather have the ISP make a sensible margin on what they charge me, so they can give decent service. There's more to it than just the bare price.

Cheers
b
Old Oct 15th 2008, 7:40 am
DownUnder

datamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana View Post
Yeah? Might be worth looking at, but can I dial in from ANY phone number? Most of them say you can only dial in from your home number, and being difficult I want the ability to dial in from the MiLs place as well.
From https://iihelp.iinet.net.au/Broadband_explained#toc_4

"Do all iiNet broadband plans have a backup dialup account?

Yes. All iiNet's broadband products include a backup dialup account. This can be used if your broadband service fails or if you need Internet access away from home through a dialup connection. The national dialup number for broadband customers is 0198 379 000. In some areas, this may not be charged as a local call. Please check with Telstra on 1800 11 30 11 or your with phone provider if any additional call charges apply. You'll need to change the dialup number stored in your computer's Internet properties to this national dialup number to use the backup dialup account. You can also download the iiNet Transition Assistant; this will step you through the setup.

Please note that you cannot use your broadband account and the dialup account at the same time due to login restrictions. If you intend on using your dialup while you're away from your broadband connection, it's a good idea to switch your DSL modem off prior to leaving or ask someone to do so while using the dialup connection. If you do forget to do this, you can still dial in but this will disconnect your broadband connection. "
Old Oct 15th 2008, 8:11 am
HMP Queensland

Originally Posted by datamile View Post
From https://iihelp.iinet.net.au/Broadband_explained#toc_4

"Do all iiNet broadband plans have a backup dialup account?

Yes. All iiNet's broadband products include a backup dialup account. This can be used if your broadband service fails or if you need Internet access away from home through a dialup connection. The national dialup number for broadband customers is 0198 379 000. In some areas, this may not be charged as a local call. Please check with Telstra on 1800 11 30 11 or your with phone provider if any additional call charges apply. You'll need to change the dialup number stored in your computer's Internet properties to this national dialup number to use the backup dialup account. You can also download the iiNet Transition Assistant; this will step you through the setup.

Please note that you cannot use your broadband account and the dialup account at the same time due to login restrictions. If you intend on using your dialup while you're away from your broadband connection, it's a good idea to switch your DSL modem off prior to leaving or ask someone to do so while using the dialup connection. If you do forget to do this, you can still dial in but this will disconnect your broadband connection. "
Sounds possible then, might look into it a bit further - thanks for that
Old Oct 15th 2008, 10:59 am
BE Enthusiast

slipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of light

I'd be interested, which would be far more relevant to me, is what speeds people are actually getting, rather than just looking at download limits. It;s easy enough to heck, but for those people that have posted what is their true speed of download, rather than the supposed advertised speed? Anyone willing to share?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.