Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Broadband Prices

Broadband Prices

Old Jul 27th 2008, 12:39 am
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Broadband Prices

Originally Posted by Urno;[URL="skype:6612687?call"
6612687[/URL]]In my experience, be wary of AAPT (intermittent ADSL2+ in Brisbane, about a stone's throw from the exchange, and god awful customer service helpline/email).

Primus have done an excellent job for me, but you'll probably find many who hate them and love AAPT!
Just to counter that, I'm very happy with my AAPT service. Including very good customer service when I had a (self-inflicted ) issue recently. It would be nice to get naked DSL from them though .......

According to the 2007 Whirlpool Broadband Survey, Internode comes out top of most surveys, with iiNet and TPG following behind. We use Internode at work and the service is pretty damn good. If you can get Internode through your exchange, go for it.
Old Jul 27th 2008, 2:53 am
BE Enthusiast

tictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond repute

Best advice given on here = avoid Telstra/Big Pond

Always had brilliant service from iinet and have just received a free 5GB upgrade to my peak-time quota

I now pay $79.95 for ADSL2+ speeds with 20GB Peak/40GB off-peak quota + VOIP. Probably not the cheapest out there but never lets me down, which is important as I often VPN in to work from home. Uploads do not count as part of your quota, neither do iTunes downloads nor Mac OS software updates which is great if you're an Apple Computer Aficionado.

Iinet's Naked DSL is also worth looking at if you want to keep Telstra completely out of the equation.

My personal advice would be to go with a provider who offers a decent quota as you'll probably find yourself using your connection far more than you imagined you would before you got here.

Cheers
Old Jul 27th 2008, 3:47 am
BE Enthusiast

The_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to behold

I've always heard people knock Bigpond and was wondering why.

I've been with them for 4 months now and (touch wood) haven't had any problems at all.

I have 25G ADSL 2 for around $49 a month. This is a special offer 50% discount they offer if you have a Telstra landline and pay your bills online.
Old Jul 27th 2008, 4:54 am
BE Enthusiast

billymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nice

Originally Posted by The_Wookie
I've always heard people knock Bigpond and was wondering why.

I've been with them for 4 months now and (touch wood) haven't had any problems at all.

I have 25G ADSL 2 for around $49 a month. This is a special offer 50% discount they offer if you have a Telstra landline and pay your bills online.
One of the problems with telstra is your uploads count towards your downloads,

10g up means only 15g down,

also if you go over your 25g they charge $150.00 for every gb over

I use exetel link Adsl2 http://www.exetel.com.au/a_plan_pricing_adsl2.php
Old Jul 27th 2008, 5:16 am
BE Forum Addict

midgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond repute

I've been with Bigpond since October last year. I'm currently tied to them until October 2009.

I pay $79.99 a month for 25gig. Uploads are counted too in that.

The service is crap. Internet frequently drops out. If you try using wifi on laptop and someone else is on pc - speed drops to worse than dial up or just drops out completely.

Most days I have to shut everything down and restart just to get a connection. I'm now onto my second set of 2wire equipment and it's still shite.

Word of advice IT'S JUST NOT WORTH IT.
Old Jul 27th 2008, 7:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

AFAIK, all Australian ISP's when they give you a cap include the uploads as part of that Data allowance.

IInet do, TPG do, Internode do, Optus do, Iprimus do, as does Bigpond.

Basically what the plans are, which state the usage, whether it be 5 gigs, through to 150 gigs and more, are Data allowances.

I suspect whats happening with bigpond, is they are giving a more accurate measure of Download v Uploads, which the other companies dont.

One major thing is Bigponds favour, is they dont have Offpeak and peak rates, IE: TPG's 150 gig plan gives u 110 gigs offpeak (1am till 7am) and only 40 gigs peak.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Jul 27th 2008 at 7:19 am.
Old Jul 27th 2008, 7:31 am
BE Enthusiast

tictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
AFAIK, all Australian ISP's when they give you a cap include the uploads as part of that Data allowance.

IInet do, TPG do, Internode do, Optus do, Iprimus do, as does Bigpond.

Basically what the plans are, which state the usage, whether it be 5 gigs, through to 150 gigs and more, are Data allowances.

I suspect whats happening with bigpond, is they are giving a more accurate measure of Download v Uploads, which the other companies dont.

One major thing is Bigponds favour, is they dont have Offpeak and peak rates, IE: TPG's 150 gig plan gives u 110 gigs offpeak (1am till 7am) and only 40 gigs peak.

iinet DO NOT currently count uploads as part of the data allowance (quota) and AFAIK there are no plans to do so.

"What is counted towards my monthly quota?
Our broadband plans don't count uploads in your quota - they're free. Only downloads are counted towards your peak or off peak usage (quota)."

http://www.iinet.net.au/support/broa...aq/quotas.html
Old Jul 27th 2008, 7:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tictac
iinet DO NOT currently count uploads as part of the data allowance (quota) and AFAIK there are no plans to do so.

Our broadband plans don't count uploads in your quota - they're free. Only downloads are counted towards your peak or off peak usage (quota)."

I'm very pleased to be corrected on this so quickly.

Well you learn something every day.

Thanks for that, I'm very suprised that the other ISP's dont shout this from the rooftops when they go for business.
lol

I notice IInets naked plans include uploads in their quota though I wonder why there is a difference there.

LOL, I've spent the last 3 years with IInet, restricting the speeds on my Torrent uploads to 10 kbps, because I thought it was part of my quota.

I wonder why they call their graph on your monthly allowance "volume usage" which I would refer to every few days.... well thats my excuse for misunderstanding the situation... Blimey egg well and truly on my face with this one.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Jul 27th 2008 at 8:03 am.
Old Jul 27th 2008, 9:10 am
Account Closed

PaulandNic is an unknown quantity at this point

iinet DO NOT currently count uploads as part of the data allowance
Or Internode for that matter ...
Old Jul 27th 2008, 10:15 am
Up The Arse!!

wengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond repute

http://bc.whirlpool.net.au/
Internode charge me 84.95 a month for 40 gig at 1.5mb`s
Adam can do the same but for 59.95
reason I have`nt changed is Adam`s only form of payment is credit card and i`m damned if i`m getting one of them fekking things again.
That said Internode`s service is top draw always good speeds, never goes down,plus free usenet
http://www.internode.on.net/news/2008/05/88.php
Old Jul 27th 2008, 10:25 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Westnet do not either, no great surprise being wholly owned by iinet. That said, some the packages are cheaper
Old Jul 27th 2008, 11:18 am
Forum Regular

lee28 is just really nicelee28 is just really nicelee28 is just really nicelee28 is just really nicelee28 is just really nicelee28 is just really nicelee28 is just really nicelee28 is just really nicelee28 is just really nicelee28 is just really nicelee28 is just really nice

http://www.itel.net/

I use this mob and get 1.5mb and there is no download limits or capping for $100 a month, and thank god I got this plan as I would be way over 60gb limits.

I did fail the credit check thingy and got a refusal letter but I phoned them up and said I would pay 6months in advance and they were fine about it and had my internet on 5 days later.

Most of my class mates at college use this now cause its uncapped, ect and is great for downloading and not having to worry about going over the limit.

Last edited by lee28; Jul 27th 2008 at 11:21 am.
Old Jul 27th 2008, 11:23 am
Forum Regular

lee28 is just really nicelee28 is just really nicelee28 is just really nicelee28 is just really nicelee28 is just really nicelee28 is just really nicelee28 is just really nicelee28 is just really nicelee28 is just really nicelee28 is just really nicelee28 is just really nice

Originally Posted by wengerboy
reason I have`nt changed is Adam`s only form of payment is credit card and i`m damned if i`m getting one of them fekking things again.
That said Internode`s service is top draw always good speeds, never goes down,plus free usenet
why dont you get a mastercard debit card, just like a credit card except you must have the funds in the account and is accepted anywhere you see mastercard sign.
Old Jul 27th 2008, 10:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by wengerboy
What happens with your line rental ?

If you have a line rental how much is it ? and then how much are your telephone calls charged at.
Old Jul 27th 2008, 11:40 pm
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Urno
In my experience, be wary of AAPT (intermittent ADSL2+ in Brisbane, about a stone's throw from the exchange, and god awful customer service helpline/email).

Primus have done an excellent job for me, but you'll probably find many who hate them and love AAPT!
Agree. AAPT are very bad and ironically iiNet (who are owned by AAPT) are very good.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.