Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Broadband and mobile phones in Brisbane???

Broadband and mobile phones in Brisbane???

Old Mar 23rd 2005, 4:09 pm
Loving life in Brissie

cagandchris will become famous soon enough
Smile Broadband and mobile phones in Brisbane???

We are arriving in Brisbane on 11th April ( :scared: ) to live in Wakerley.

We want to get connected to broadband internet asap...can anyone recommend who we should use??

Also, we will need to get our mobile phones up and running asap...can anyone recommend a "Pay as you go" provider???

Thanks!

Carole and Chris
Old Mar 23rd 2005, 5:31 pm
Account Closed

Paul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to all
Default Re: Broadband and mobile phones in Brisbane???

Originally Posted by cagandchris
We are arriving in Brisbane on 11th April ( :scared: ) to live in Wakerley.

We want to get connected to broadband internet asap...can anyone recommend who we should use??

Also, we will need to get our mobile phones up and running asap...can anyone recommend a "Pay as you go" provider???

Thanks!

Carole and Chris
Sorry haven't a clue, but will be eager to see replies too

We'll be out on the Gold Coast in December and will need both too asap!
Old Mar 23rd 2005, 6:08 pm
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Try searching the forum. Certainly the broadband question has been asked many times. I seem to recall www.whirlpool.net as a site where ISP's are rated, etc.
Old Mar 23rd 2005, 8:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

mand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
We have got broadband with i think TGP, and we pay $50 per month for unlimited access with unlimited downloads, a lot of suppliers here limit the download per month, which we did not want.
As for mobiles they are all different but we bought virgin pay as you go sim cards as for us that was the best, virgin to virgin 5c text and 5c per 30sec call, as we thought at first we would only be calling each other that seemed the cheapest.
Hope this helps
Old Mar 23rd 2005, 9:16 pm
ABCDiamond

I'm using aanet with a 1,512/256 connection and 8Gb limit for $45 per month
(extra Gb's are only $3, but I don't even use half my limit. http://www.aanet.com.au/plans.html

I just changed from a Telstra 256/56 at $59.95 per month plan :scared:

Old Mar 23rd 2005, 10:41 pm
Drunken Aussie

brisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nice

do you want a long contract? if not, try curl (www.curl.com.au) or teegee (www.teegee.com.au). 6 months i'd recommend internode. 12 months or more and there's a world of options (iinet are offering up to 8mbps in some areas). those are all ADSL. of course, you may be able to get cable with optus or tel$tra.

as for mobile phone, if you have a credit card and want pre-pay (pay-as-you-go) try iSIM, www.isim.com.au. by far the cheapest calls on a prepay, you manage it online, and can even set your credit card to automatically top-up when your balance runs low. they run on the optus network and i can't fault them. if you are a heavy user, you may like to try vodafone who do a $49 capped sim card. i use less than $30 a month on mine though.
Old Mar 23rd 2005, 11:09 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by wmoore
Try searching the forum. Certainly the broadband question has been asked many times. I seem to recall www.whirlpool.net as a site where ISP's are rated, etc.
That link should be http://www.whirlpool.net.au/

And the link to do a plan search is http://bc.whirlpool.net.au/bc-plan.cfm

Just type in what you want to pay, how much you would use it, how fast you want it, etc etc., and it gives you your options.

Old Mar 24th 2005, 11:08 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Best value for money I found is TPG

http://www.tpg.com.au/

I use the 1.5m / 256k at AUD 49.95......most charge AUD 90 for that.

They also have that one tied in with a phone deal.