Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

The broadband and house rental "merry go round"

The broadband and house rental "merry go round"

Old Jun 13th 2007, 11:48 am
What am I doing??!!

naifyboy is just really nicenaifyboy is just really nicenaifyboy is just really nicenaifyboy is just really nicenaifyboy is just really nicenaifyboy is just really nicenaifyboy is just really nicenaifyboy is just really nice
Default The broadband and house rental "merry go round"

Just wanted to share a frustration.

I cannot survive in Oz without Broadband: Skype; My work; web building; various things...

Before I agreed to rent a house for 12 months I wanted to be sure I could get broadband in the house. Otherwise I risked signing a rental agreement and then finding out I couldn't get broadband once it was too late.

I tried for days on end, to find out if the address could get broadband. I had no phone number as the house was vacant and no phone line was connected. Therefore i couldn't get a line check performed.

I spoke to the agent and asked if they could find out for me. They were no help whatsoever and would not tell me the previous phone number.

I rang Telstrar and they told me they couldnt tell me if the address could get broadband without a phone number to check.

Going round in circles!!!!!

Eventually i took a drive to the area and knocked on a neighbour's door (who turned out to be a Brit!), he currently gets broadband and although it's no guarantee i can get it, it is the best information i can get.

Therefore - to all you who need broadband and are looking to rent a property. It's gonna be real hard to guarantee you can get it without a phone number to check.

In the end Optus helped me out. they said they would make the line active and then i could check the line capability for broadband - if i couldnt get broadband they would cancel the line and charge me $59 dollars. this could all be done without me having the rental agreement on the property and before i signed the deal.

Something to be aware of people!
Old Jun 13th 2007, 11:59 am
no longer searching

walaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The broadband and house rental "merry go round"

Don't forget there is more than one 'type' of broadband.

ADSL - requires (as you quite rightly mention) a phone line to Telstra (in most cases, only Telstra).

ADSL 2+ - gives higher rates, but Telstra only do this is a limited number of telephone exchanges, where there is competition from other companies (who will still use the Telstra Phone line).

Cable - you don't have to have a traditional POTS phone line - if you have Optus or BigPond (Telstra again) cable, you can get broadband, as well as phone, and TV (foxtel).

Each has it's pros and cons, and costs. And they will nearly all want you to sign up for 12 month contract.

Good place to look at your prospective supplier - www.whirlpool.net.au - there is a comparison system, as well as forums to look for complaints...
Old Jun 13th 2007, 12:07 pm
What am I doing??!!

naifyboy is just really nicenaifyboy is just really nicenaifyboy is just really nicenaifyboy is just really nicenaifyboy is just really nicenaifyboy is just really nicenaifyboy is just really nicenaifyboy is just really nice
Default Re: The broadband and house rental "merry go round"

Originally Posted by walaj
Don't forget there is more than one 'type' of broadband.

ADSL - requires (as you quite rightly mention) a phone line to Telstra (in most cases, only Telstra).

ADSL 2+ - gives higher rates, but Telstra only do this is a limited number of telephone exchanges, where there is competition from other companies (who will still use the Telstra Phone line).

Cable - you don't have to have a traditional POTS phone line - if you have Optus or BigPond (Telstra again) cable, you can get broadband, as well as phone, and TV (foxtel).

Each has it's pros and cons, and costs. And they will nearly all want you to sign up for 12 month contract.

Good place to look at your prospective supplier - www.whirlpool.net.au - there is a comparison system, as well as forums to look for complaints...

Indeed correct. However, I knew i had no cable and i knew ADSL 2+ was definately unavailable. Wireless was way to expensive.

Whirlpool.net.au was the first place i started looking - but again without a phone number to check no supplier can tell you if you can get it (ADSL) or not.