Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Broadband at The Gap?

Broadband at The Gap?

Old Nov 22nd 2008, 3:01 am
BE Enthusiast

Brisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud of
Default Broadband at The Gap?

We currently have wireless Virgin internet and home phone but are wondering if it will work at The Gap. Our mobiles work when we go there but Virgin doubt that the internet will work so we won't know until we move in. Just wondering if anyone living in The Gap has Virgin broadband or knows of someone who has?
Also what providers do you use?
We were previously with Telstra and had huge bills but we are not big users.
Old Nov 22nd 2008, 5:05 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Broadband at The Gap?

Originally Posted by Brisbane bound
We currently have wireless Virgin internet and home phone but are wondering if it will work at The Gap. Our mobiles work when we go there but Virgin doubt that the internet will work so we won't know until we move in. Just wondering if anyone living in The Gap has Virgin broadband or knows of someone who has?
Also what providers do you use?
We were previously with Telstra and had huge bills but we are not big users.
A)Is the wireless internet mobile i.e. USB modem/phoneline, laptop or desktop system? If it is a USB modem with a laptop, get in the car with it and see if it works where you are moving to.
B)Have you considered another ISP, like 3, Optus,iinet etc, etc? Ask them for their rates, and whether or not it will work in the area. The consultant will look your new address up on their screen.
I've got 6G for $49/month or they even have 3G for $39/month from 3 Mobile (USB modem). Gives us the option of having dialup or b/band and phone use.Telstra now has prepaid mobile wireless b/band (the OH has this as a backup for her Dodo dialup) -another option. having the modem conneceted to the phone was too much of a hassle to get setup, so we went mobile.

Last edited by The Bloke; Nov 22nd 2008 at 5:09 am.
Old Nov 22nd 2008, 5:32 am
BE Enthusiast

Brisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud of

Thanks for that. I shall pass that onto my OH, all that was like a foreign language to me. Great idea to bring it out to try it. We will bring it when we go to the inspection on Tues.
Old Nov 22nd 2008, 6:03 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brisbane bound
Thanks for that. I shall pass that onto my OH, all that was like a foreign language to me. Great idea to bring it out to try it. We will bring it when we go to the inspection on Tues.
Ok. My OH likes the idea of the prepaid wireless modem.
Old Nov 22nd 2008, 6:06 am
BE Enthusiast

If you just have a mobile, how does that fare for phoning the UK? My parents just have an ordinary phone, no Skype or computer. We could spend over an hour a week phoning the UK and Ireland.