Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Broadband Australia anyone???

Broadband Australia anyone???

Old Sep 4th 2005, 10:49 am
Banned

Location: Manchester-Sydney August 07 and maybe Brisbane or Melbourne 08
alkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Broadband Australia anyone???

i,
Just wondering whether its cable or adsl etc in australia and can you get all sorts.

My problem is, we have a landline connection adsl with wireless router/modem here in the uk and i want to know if it is the same phone sockets in oz, or can you buy adapters that work or should i just sell the router i have and buy another one in oz?

Thanks for any info at all, no matter how irrelevant it seems

ak
Old Sep 4th 2005, 10:59 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Broadband Australia anyone???

The phone sockets are different, but sure I've read on here that you can buy adapters for them.
Old Sep 4th 2005, 11:02 am
Banned

alkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hevs
The phone sockets are different, but sure I've read on here that you can buy adapters for them.
Chers hevs,

What sort of internet do you all have there?

Dsl/cable or adsl,or just modem, or all of the above?
ak
Old Sep 4th 2005, 11:05 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Jeeze, don't get technical on me!!

Ours is ADSL and it plugs into the wall and it lets me use the internet while my 11 year old gasses on the phone
Old Sep 4th 2005, 11:09 am
ABCDiamond

All the same options, including satellite if needed, are available, and here is a link to check what's available in your area:
http://bc.whirlpool.net.au/bc-plan.cfm

For example; I have ADSL 1500/256 for $49 per month.

Old Sep 4th 2005, 11:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
All the same options, including satellite if needed, are available, and here is a link to check what's available in your area:
http://bc.whirlpool.net.au/bc-plan.cfm

For example; I have ADSL 1500/256 for $49 per month.

Ahhh I was going to use TPG as well, but with two young adult Daughters, and a 11 year old daughter, have to use the Iprimus bundle, 512x128 at 40 bucks per month, plus very importantly 100 pct free local calls. At least 400 local calls per month in my household dammit.

PS, Abcd, will be starting that thread re my 20 year old off to the UK, in 3 weeks'ish.
Old Sep 4th 2005, 11:33 am
High in the Dandenongs

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Ahhh I was going to use TPG as well, but with two young adult Daughters, and a 11 year old daughter, have to use the Iprimus bundle, 512x128 at 40 bucks per month, plus very importantly 100 pct free local calls. At least 400 local calls per month in my household dammit.
Same as. The local call things a bonus as are the capped interstate calls. However the charges for mobile phones are ridiculous! Oh well can't have it all
Old Sep 4th 2005, 11:33 am
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alkristensen
i,
Just wondering whether its cable or adsl etc in australia and can you get all sorts.

My problem is, we have a landline connection adsl with wireless router/modem here in the uk and i want to know if it is the same phone sockets in oz, or can you buy adapters that work or should i just sell the router i have and buy another one in oz?

ak
As I'm typing this, I'm wirelessly connecting to my Belkin wireless ADSL router If you have a decent bit of kit, bring it with you. Prices over here seem to be similar to the UK.
Old Sep 4th 2005, 12:27 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by wmoore
As I'm typing this, I'm wirelessly connecting to my Belkin wireless ADSL router If you have a decent bit of kit, bring it with you. Prices over here seem to be similar to the UK.
Thanks thats a big help. Mines a belkin too. Did you buy yours in the uk or oz?

ak
Old Sep 4th 2005, 12:30 pm
Banned

ak
Also..................

Have you got freeview over there?

We have set top boxes that you plug in to telly ariel and you recieved digital telly now, a bit lke sky or fox but without a dish
Old Sep 4th 2005, 12:31 pm
I liek beer

DevMountain is an unknown quantity at this point

I use TPG - I pay $50 per month for 1.5Mb link and 20Gb a month downloads (slower to 64K after). As an extra you an get a statifc IP for an additional $30 per month.

They also do a package deal with VOIP, but you need a new router for that (although they do phone cards too).

I have had great service from them, despite them having a poorer reputation years back - personally I cannot fault them and will gladly recommend them to anyone.

I use a Netgear wireless router too (which is very efficient) - the connectors are the standard RJ-11 each end.
Old Sep 4th 2005, 12:33 pm

Flying Banana is an unknown quantity at this point

UK Phone Socket is an RJ45 and newer Aussie Phone Socket is RJ11 (see piccies below). They also have a three pronged 605/610 socket/plug, but adaters to RJ11's are cheap and easy to find.

Loads of info here: http://www.accesscomms.com.au/plugsock.htm

If you look at your ADSL Modem the phone cable going into the modem should be an RJ11 type which means all you need do is chuck away the lead and buy a lead with two RJ11s on it either in UK or here. If you have a laptop you may already have one as quite a few come with those and an RJ11 to UK style RJ45 adapter.

Only thing I'd say to check is the wireless operates on the same frequency band (99% sure it will as wireless is worldwide std but check nonetheless)

Loads of info on all things broadband in the Whirlpool forums (the site link was posted above by ABCD if my addled brain recalls correctly
Attached Thumbnails Broadband Australia anyone???-cable-rj11-rj45.gif   Broadband Australia anyone???-p6050.jpg  
Old Sep 4th 2005, 7:48 pm
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

ak
I bought it in the UK. And I'm pleased I brought it in my suitcase too

There is a 'freeview' type digibox available for about $90 but from what I can tell, the programming is just as bad as the regular stuff and there's not much extra anyway so I personally wouldn't bother.
Old Sep 4th 2005, 8:09 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Flying Banana
UK Phone Socket is an RJ45 and newer Aussie Phone Socket is RJ11 (see piccies below). They also have a three pronged 605/610 socket/plug, but adaters to RJ11's are cheap and easy to find.

Loads of info here: http://www.accesscomms.com.au/plugsock.htm

If you look at your ADSL Modem the phone cable going into the modem should be an RJ11 type which means all you need do is chuck away the lead and buy a lead with two RJ11s on it either in UK or here. If you have a laptop you may already have one as quite a few come with those and an RJ11 to UK style RJ45 adapter.

Only thing I'd say to check is the wireless operates on the same frequency band (99% sure it will as wireless is worldwide std but check nonetheless)

Loads of info on all things broadband in the Whirlpool forums (the site link was posted above by ABCD if my addled brain recalls correctly
Brilliant, all my questions answered and thank you all very very much. We are going to do a car boot before we leave and wanted to know what to ebay carboot or not and this info helps greatly.

ak
Old Sep 4th 2005, 8:12 pm
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

i,

ak
We bought a new B/band modem, even tho we brought ours over. Mainly cos our UK one was USB powered and that brings with it lots of sonsumption issues.
We got an alcatel modem via bigpond on 1.5mb deal.

Word of advice, when viewing homes, with real estate, ask them to contact the telephone provider for that home, if broadband is avaialble, its not too commonly available when you are out of shouting distance from major cbd's.

You can get satellite broadband, but im told is expensive.

Ours is an adsl line.

Another thing to look out for. If you have like many aussies do, a back to base monitored security system, this can play havoc with your always on connection.

Lots of the b/band dealers here like dodo aol bigpond etc all offer BYO modem deals.
Sockets are different, but everything else is exactly the same. We worked on a office, and Telstra network guy was a pom, and had used his own modem, with aussie interconnect leads to the telephone socket.

If you are setting up a network with a router here, ensure you get the correct LAN cat5 cables, patch cables etc.

My boss, Walt who is 70 next month has just rigged up 54mb extra wide coverage b/band in his home. Its fast !!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.