Broadband AGAIN... Sunshine Coast

Broadband AGAIN... Sunshine Coast

Old Sep 28th 2007, 2:40 pm
Somewhere in Oz

sla453 will become famous soon enough
Default Broadband AGAIN... Sunshine Coast

Hi All,

Yes, another broadband issue!!

Hopefully settling Sunshine Coast early next year - Caloundra, Maroocydore area..

Any body know the state of broadband in these areas?? Can I get it??

Ta.
Old Sep 28th 2007, 10:52 pm
pools finished..Boat next

MenAtWork is a jewel in the roughMenAtWork is a jewel in the roughMenAtWork is a jewel in the roughMenAtWork is a jewel in the roughMenAtWork is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Broadband AGAIN... Sunshine Coast

No probs in Caloundra or Maroochydore and available in plenty of other places too. I'm in Palmwoods which is a pretty small town in comparison and have 8mb.
Old Sep 29th 2007, 1:28 am
Forum Regular

Richard007 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by sla453
Hi All,

Hopefully settling Sunshine Coast early next year - Caloundra, Maroocydore area..

Ta.

yes...and we having running water as well.

The only difference i have found is you pay for usage!!...oh and its more expensive
Old Sep 29th 2007, 2:54 am
Account Closed

PaulandNic is an unknown quantity at this point

Ta.
From what I gather the whole Broadband issue is a bit of a lottery in Australia. I and many others on here have had to revert to Dial Up because the local exchange either is out of ports, or simply isn't wired for it! ...

I had to spend a full 6 months in prev house on Dial Up and it was VERY painful, but am back in the land of the living and have the usual 8mb line now.

A good bet would be to have a butchers at http://whirlpool.net.au/
Old Sep 29th 2007, 4:53 am

gedge has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by PaulandNic
From what I gather the whole Broadband issue is a bit of a lottery in Australia. I and many others on here have had to revert to Dial Up because the local exchange either is out of ports, or simply isn't wired for it! ...

I had to spend a full 6 months in prev house on Dial Up and it was VERY painful, but am back in the land of the living and have the usual 8mb line now.

A good bet would be to have a butchers at http://whirlpool.net.au/
welcome back
Old Sep 29th 2007, 9:25 am
Now a Mummy!

SonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud of

Hi All,

Ta.
I think most of the sunshine coast is covered for Broadband... i know Toorbul doesn't coz we looked at living there... but we rely so much on Broadband for communication to UK.. couldn't live without it..

here's some info from Telstra's website

Exchanges with BigPond® Broadband ADSL access

Banksia Beach, Beachmere, Beerburrum, Beerwah, Belli, Bli Bli, Boreen Point, Bribie Island, Buderim, Caboolture, Caloundra, Conondale, Coolum Beach, Cooroy, D'aguilar, Doonan, Elimbah, Eumundi, Flaxton, Glasshouse Mountains, Golden Beach, Kenilworth, Kin Kin, Landsborough, Maleny, Maroochy River, Maroochydore, Montville, Mooloolaba, Mooloolah, Morayfield, Mount Mee, Mudjimba, Nambour, Narangba, Ningi, Noosa Heads, Noosaville, Oakey Flats, Palmview, Palmwoods, Peachester, Peregian Beach, Pomona, Upper Caboolture, Wamuran, Witta, Woodford, Woombye, Wurtulla and Yandina.

Hope that helps.
Sonic x
Old Sep 30th 2007, 10:18 am
BE Forum Addict

kevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond repute

ADSL isn't available everywhere, I can get it in Mountain Creek (1.5MB max) but a friend of mine can't get it just up the road in Buderim Meadows. This is because some of the newer estates have fibre optics in the streets and they have shared wires to the houses (that's what he tells me). Apparently Optus have been given federal funds to provide broadband and now my mate is getting it from them.
OZ is backwards in a lot of things and ADSL is one of them. Forget the cheap unlimited service you get in the UK, expect to pay $60 - $100 a month for anything worth while, even then it'll have download limits
Old Oct 27th 2007, 4:26 pm
Forum Regular

the greens is just really nicethe greens is just really nicethe greens is just really nicethe greens is just really nicethe greens is just really nicethe greens is just really nicethe greens is just really nicethe greens is just really nicethe greens is just really nicethe greens is just really nice

are there plenty of internet cafes/libraries in Buderim area with public assess to internet.
Old Oct 27th 2007, 4:44 pm
Somewhere in Oz

sla453 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by the greens
are there plenty of internet cafes/libraries in Buderim area with public assess to internet.
Hi the Greens..

Which part of Lancs do you live in? We are where the lights shine brightly with the big tower and donkeys on the beach (including the 4 legged type!!)

We are also looking at Buderim as a place to settle!! When are you going?
Old Oct 27th 2007, 9:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

s-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by the greens
You can get free Wi-fi in mcdonalds if there is one nearby, if you're really struggling....

S-jx
Old Oct 27th 2007, 11:08 pm
Forum Regular

keijei has a brilliant futurekeijei has a brilliant futurekeijei has a brilliant futurekeijei has a brilliant futurekeijei has a brilliant futurekeijei has a brilliant futurekeijei has a brilliant future

Most of the coast has ADSL service but not ADSL2. I'm in the Nambour area and get 1.5Mb at a good speed ie, don't have to pause streaming video and can use VOIP progs like Skype and MSN Messenger without any major hassles. My ISP is TPG and 18Gb download limit is $60 a month, 8Gb is $50 a month. There is a new scheme coming to the coast in the next couple of years to give faster service. Have a read of
http://www.maroochy.qld.gov.au/siteP...lever_networks
Old Oct 28th 2007, 1:07 am
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

It's hit and miss, loads of new estates are connected by RIM's and some of these are not BB enabled or have no spare ports.

Have a look at the reports at http://www.telstrawholesale.com.au/p...nd_reports.htm

There are a few spread sheets you can download that tell you if an address is connected to a RIM and how many ports there are.

Hi All,

Ta.
Old Oct 28th 2007, 1:11 am
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

That sounds like the stuff the telstra call center spew

New estates are connected via RIM's (Remote Integrated Multiplexer). They live in those green boxes by the road and are connected back to the exchange by fibre, they are mini exchanges so have to contain BB equipment in order for you to get ADSL. And they can only contain a small number of ADSL ports so loads of people have issues with them, oh and they only contain Telstra hardware so you can't get ADSL2+ with someone like IINET.

Originally Posted by kevinbloomfield
This is because some of the newer estates have fibre optics in the streets and they have shared wires to the houses (that's what he tells me).
Old Oct 28th 2007, 1:26 am
Account Closed

PaulandNic is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by kevinbloomfield
OZ is backwards in a lot of things and ADSL is one of them. Forget the cheap unlimited service you get in the UK, expect to pay $60 - $100 a month for anything worth while, even then it'll have download limits
And to think I used to complain about NTL.

Yeah the use of the word 'unlimited' over here when talking about download quota is quite strange!

You have unlimited quota till you hit say 10gb, and then shaped to dial up speed for the duration of your month!

Not the unlimited I know.

Currently paying $100 for an 8meg line and 30gb a month, which is enough but friends in the UK have far better for far less!

Still, I have better weather! ...
Old Oct 28th 2007, 4:23 am
BE Forum Addict

kevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PaulandNic
And to think I used to complain about NTL.

Yeah the use of the word 'unlimited' over here when talking about download quota is quite strange!

You have unlimited quota till you hit say 10gb, and then shaped to dial up speed for the duration of your month!

Not the unlimited I know.

Currently paying $100 for an 8meg line and 30gb a month, which is enough but friends in the UK have far better for far less!

Still, I have better weather! ...
and nicer people and a nicer country. The UK can keep it's cheap ADSL, they have to have something to keep the eastern europeans happy :-)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.