Reload this Page >

Broadband ADSL - advice please!

Broadband ADSL - advice please!

Old Aug 26th 2003, 5:03 am
Be true to your skew

Pookin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Broadband ADSL - advice please!

Hi All

Now in Perth (will post more soon, but rushing around setting up our lives at the mo!)

We want to know the best deal for a landline/internet (broadband ADSL)/2 mobile phones package (all in one).
Old Aug 26th 2003, 5:18 am
BE Forum Addict

DianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to all
Default Re: Broadband ADSL - advice please!

Dunno mate - just want to say Hi - glad you got here safely.

Diane
Old Aug 26th 2003, 6:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Jacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond repute

As you've only just arrived and probably have 100's of tasks to do, why not go the easy route and sign up with Telstra for it all, landline, mobiles & adsl, you'll get a 10% discount and then once you've settled down and have more time, shop around for a better deal. If you go for their Homeline Plus account (I think that's what it's called) you can phone the UK for $5.25 for a one-hour call.
Old Aug 26th 2003, 6:25 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Jacqui
As you've only just arrived and probably have 100's of tasks to do, why not go the easy route and sign up with Telstra for it all, landline, mobiles & adsl, you'll get a 10% discount and then once you've settled down and have more time, shop around for a better deal. If you go for their Homeline Plus account (I think that's what it's called) you can phone the UK for $5.25 for a one-hour call.

Has anyone worked out exactly what the 'pips' are during telephone calls (might only be homeline plus)? I presume its something like 'you've used up 15 minutes' but if so and it went off four times, does that mean that I'm into my next $5.25 hour or do I have time to quickly hang up? Hopefully someone knows what I am talking about.
Old Aug 26th 2003, 7:05 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by jayr
Has anyone worked out exactly what the 'pips' are during telephone calls (might only be homeline plus)? I presume its something like 'you've used up 15 minutes' but if so and it went off four times, does that mean that I'm into my next $5.25 hour or do I have time to quickly hang up? Hopefully someone knows what I am talking about.
I reckon it's call waiting. I didn't know myself at first but I think it means someone is trying to call you whilst you are on the phone.
Old Aug 26th 2003, 7:18 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Telstra is bloody awful. They have been forced to reimburse customers because of continous dropouts.

To be honest broadband here is still in the dark ages of pay per megabyte. You could try TPG or DODO for unlimited downloads for $70s a month.

Some people at work recommend optus cable internet as the speed is uncapped. If you get on in slack periods you get LAN like performance.

If you live outback you'll be lucky to get a 22k modem connection.
Old Aug 26th 2003, 7:47 am
owieb

Default Re: Broadband ADSL - advice please!

Originally posted by Pookin
Hi All

Now in Perth (will post more soon, but rushing around setting up our lives at the mo!)

We want to know the best deal for a landline/internet (broadband ADSL)/2 mobile phones package (all in one).
I went Telstra for the landline, ADSL is through iiNet, $79 per month for 512/128, checkout http://www.iinet.com.au/products/hom...bliink512.html I haven't had any problems, occasional dropouts now and then, but otherwise very reliable.

Mobiles through vodafone and optus. Only went with optus because they were the only ones selling the phone i wanted.

Wouldn't worry too much at this stage, just get yourself sorted then look around for bargins after that, but think you'll find they're all pretty much the same.

Old Aug 26th 2003, 8:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Jacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond repute

We too have switched to iinet for our ADSL, it was the only one compatible with our networked PC's at home, couple of days with no service but otherwise fine, speed ok, especially considering at weekends hubby is downloading music on one PC while the kids are playing online computer games on the others.

When you ring the UK using Telstra's 0018 number (which gives you cheaper rates for each half-hour) you will hear a "bing-bong" type tone when you have 10 minutes left, then again when you have five minutes left. If you have the Plus account you can carry on talking because the second half-hour is free, and the bing-bong will repeat again on 10 and 5 minutes remaining.
Old Aug 26th 2003, 11:12 pm
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Jacqui
If you have the Plus account you can carry on talking because the second half-hour is free, and the bing-bong will repeat again on 10 and 5 minutes remaining.
Thanks Jacqui, I knew it must be time related and am glad the second bong means five minutes to go - I was on the phone to my brother the day and trying to get rid of him before the hour was up when it 'bonged' - been wondering whether it was advance warning or I'd already gone into my next hour for another $5.25.