Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Brits moving to Perth...

Brits moving to Perth...

Old Aug 20th 2007, 9:28 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute
Default Brits moving to Perth...

I just noticed in another thread that Perth has an extremely large proportion of residents who were born in the UK (11%)...Compared to Brisbane (5%)... Melbourne and Sydney are lower still.

My question is (and I'm sure its been asked before) - why is Perth generally the spot of choice? For me, I'm in Brisbane simply because my wife was born here. With Perth, from what I've read on BE, it seems to be the case that most people who move there are families (parents over 30) with kids between 5 and 15.

So, what are the main reasons for moving to Perth in particular? I'm not talking about the generic Aussie stuff (relaxed lifestyle, beaches, climate, good for kids, etc). The answers have to be Perth specific. Some that I can think of are:
1) family and friends already in Perth.
2) heard about friends in the UK who emigrated to Perth and love it.
3) went on holiday to visit friends in Perth, and loved it!
4) some other obscure reason...e.g. does Perth have a mass marketing campaign in England or something?!!

cheers
Mark
Old Aug 20th 2007, 10:55 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice
Default Re: Brits moving to Perth...

Originally Posted by markallwood
I just noticed in another thread that Perth has an extremely large proportion of residents who were born in the UK (11%)...Compared to Brisbane (5%)... Melbourne and Sydney are lower still.

My question is (and I'm sure its been asked before) - why is Perth generally the spot of choice? For me, I'm in Brisbane simply because my wife was born here. With Perth, from what I've read on BE, it seems to be the case that most people who move there are families (parents over 30) with kids between 5 and 15.

So, what are the main reasons for moving to Perth in particular? I'm not talking about the generic Aussie stuff (relaxed lifestyle, beaches, climate, good for kids, etc). The answers have to be Perth specific. Some that I can think of are:
1) family and friends already in Perth.
2) heard about friends in the UK who emigrated to Perth and love it.
3) went on holiday to visit friends in Perth, and loved it!
4) some other obscure reason...e.g. does Perth have a mass marketing campaign in England or something?!!

cheers
Mark
We chose Perth for all the above reasons. Except number 4.

But now we have lived here over 15 months and regret it. Not sure where to go next though. To be continued............
Old Aug 20th 2007, 11:27 am
Forum Regular

yogita_dabasia is a jewel in the roughyogita_dabasia is a jewel in the roughyogita_dabasia is a jewel in the roughyogita_dabasia is a jewel in the rough

Hi, we are flying out to Perth on Friday to have a look to settle there next year, we don't know people there personally, but know them through other people and that is why we are heading out there with a view to settling. Please could you advise why your 15 months have been regretable, as this move is really a big thing for most of us emigrating from UK. We do not know many people in either Sydney or Melbourne and we are due to visit these places as well over 3 weeks...
Old Aug 20th 2007, 11:38 am
you lucky, lucky b'stard!

tomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud of

we are moving to Perth as my job dictates it, otherwise it would have been Adelaide.
Old Aug 20th 2007, 11:50 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nu-Shooz
We chose Perth for all the above reasons. Except number 4.

But now we have lived here over 15 months and regret it. Not sure where to go next though. To be continued............
Cheer Nu-Shooz, I hope that things start looking up for you guys !

Hey there Tomy2Tums, I'd completely forgotten about jobs moving people around....
Old Aug 20th 2007, 12:53 pm

julesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by markallwood
Cheer Nu-Shooz, I hope that things start looking up for you guys !

Hey there Tomy2Tums, I'd completely forgotten about jobs moving people around....
Perth is beautiful. It's not for everyone. But we've been lucky enough to travel over East since living here and every time have been grateful to be getting on the plane to come back to WA.

It's slower; notoriously Wait Awhile. There aren't as many choices I suppose for things, but the scenery is stunning, the beaches are spectacular and it suits us.

I don't understand people who say Perth's boring. I would genuinely like to know why they think that. Everything's here if you make an effort and go out and find stuff.

OK it can be a little backward in some respects, but that's part of the charm. I'm fed up with the Perth bashers to be honest and as the bumper sticker says; 'love it or leave it'. Everyone has a choice.

Good luck with yours.

Jules x

P.S only number 3 applied to us.
Old Aug 21st 2007, 1:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

rockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud of

We came over for reasons 1-3 and were lucky enough to get offered a decent job with an ex-employer who has a factory in Perth. Never been over East but will make the journey in the next 12 months to see what it is like.
Old Aug 21st 2007, 8:58 pm
Account Closed

Funky Monkey is an unknown quantity at this point

Bizarre as it may seem for some it is actually quite a bit nearer home than over east
Old Aug 21st 2007, 9:47 pm
Account Open

Originally Posted by rockpeblar
We came over for reasons 1-3 and were lucky enough to get offered a decent job with an ex-employer who has a factory in Perth. Never been over East but will make the journey in the next 12 months to see what it is like.
Good for you!! Sounds like you guys have settled in.
cheers,

Mark
Old Aug 21st 2007, 10:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

nessyp is on a distinguished road

I spent 12 months travelling oz back in 2005. We spent 3 months in perth, 2 in bris, 2 in sydney and 1 in melbourne. We are choosing perth as it was our favourite place we lived and worked in. Personally i could live in any of the the cities i stayed and if perth dosnt work out il head east probably to melbourne or sydney
Old Aug 22nd 2007, 3:09 am
sme
......in the sand !

sme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Funky Monkey
Bizarre as it may seem for some it is actually quite a bit nearer home than over east
Hey Funky - are you moving soon ??

Ours was # 2. However the friends are nolonger together but we still are enjoying WA
Old Aug 22nd 2007, 8:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

ditto job dictating... but I could have got a job pretty much anywhere... (OK in the big 5)

we both fancy the climate... and we both hate big cities/ fast living... so no matter how slow or boring Perth is we will be moving as far away as I can comfortably commute to the CBD. I have never had neighbours by the name of Jones so don't ecpect to find myself worrying about them there just as I didn't there...

we are quite old fashioned in MANY ways and we want to live life at a pace that suits us... In no rush to get anywhere fast... need to kick back and just be...

I believe that Perth will suit us well.
Old Aug 22nd 2007, 9:50 am
BE Enthusiast

seat151 is a name known to allseat151 is a name known to allseat151 is a name known to allseat151 is a name known to allseat151 is a name known to allseat151 is a name known to allseat151 is a name known to allseat151 is a name known to allseat151 is a name known to allseat151 is a name known to allseat151 is a name known to all

We chose Perth for a few reasons.

We have good friends that already live there.

We have been to Perth 3 times and loved every minute of it.

We have been to Brisbane and Sydney and felt Perth was far more relaxed.
Old Aug 22nd 2007, 10:09 am
Forum Regular

Tabbiespice is just really niceTabbiespice is just really niceTabbiespice is just really niceTabbiespice is just really niceTabbiespice is just really niceTabbiespice is just really niceTabbiespice is just really niceTabbiespice is just really niceTabbiespice is just really niceTabbiespice is just really niceTabbiespice is just really nice

"But now we have lived here over 15 months and regret it. Not sure where to go next though. To be continued............"

Nu-shooz - Why do you regret it?
We chose Perth on recommendations and the availability of work.
NSW was def out because we have 6 children to put into schools.

Jackie
xxxxx
Old Aug 22nd 2007, 10:12 am

Issie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by julesandco
Perth is beautiful. It's not for everyone. But we've been lucky enough to travel over East since living here and every time have been grateful to be getting on the plane to come back to WA.

It's slower; notoriously Wait Awhile. There aren't as many choices I suppose for things, but the scenery is stunning, the beaches are spectacular and it suits us.

I don't understand people who say Perth's boring. I would genuinely like to know why they think that. Everything's here if you make an effort and go out and find stuff.

OK it can be a little backward in some respects, but that's part of the charm. I'm fed up with the Perth bashers to be honest and as the bumper sticker says; 'love it or leave it'. Everyone has a choice.Good luck with yours.

Jules x

P.S only number 3 applied to us.
Karma given ....top reply

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.