Reload this Page >

Brits hoping to move from USA to Aus

Brits hoping to move from USA to Aus

Old Jul 18th 2016, 1:57 am
Just Joined

mavs_girl is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Brits hoping to move from USA to Aus

Hello!

I'm new to the forum. Just posting to a quick introduction. We're thinking about moving to Melbourne and would qualify on a 190 state sponsorship for Victoria through my husband's work as a scientist. We've been thinking on and off about applying to live in Aus for quite a while but haven't done it. Instead, a work opportunity came up in USA and we've been here for a while. Now seems a good time to move for us as otherwise we would be applying for a green card and that would be harder to move away from. We only really planned to be in USA for a couple of years. Oops!

We would like to live around Frankston or somewhere nearby on the Mornington Peninsula. I love the pier at Frankston and the peninsula itself. My husband lived in the area for a few years as a child and has always considered Australia home, at least until we moved here.

We would be bringing a soon-to-be preschooler and an elderly dog. We are already her third family and I'd much rather bring her with us than move her to another family. Our vet's office seemed positive about her emigrating when I brought it up briefly one visit.

We're contemplating coming over for a month's holiday as a sort of reccie trip to suss it all out.

A couple of quick questions:

1) I saw yesterday on here some mention that the economy has turned. How bad is it looking? I'd been reading last year that Australia could be on the brink of a delayed recession. Like I said, we'd like to move before having to switch to a green card but it would be a bit silly to give up a stable-ish job to move over there and have no prospects.

2) Is there any way of knowing how likely it is to pass the medical? I read that there are a couple of migration agents here who I could contact e.g. George Lombard. I have several chronic health conditions although most are under control and we are making progress on the last one. We'd probably rather go with an agent than risk doing it ourselves and not getting in.

3) We did actually get as far as applying for, and being approved, for State sponsorship from Victoria a couple of years ago but we decided to stay here for a number of reasons. Are they likely to hold that against us if we try again? We only did the state sponsorship, nothing further, apart from getting VETASSESS done, which I assume would still be valid as my husband's qualifications haven't changed and he has stayed in the same job.

Thanks in advance!

Mav's Girl.
Old Jul 18th 2016, 2:07 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Brits hoping to move from USA to Aus

Hi

Welcome to the forum. Melbourne is a fantastic place to live. Not sure about the medical, but working here as a scientist always seems to have the challenges of funding, which I guess is the same anywhere? My neighbour works as a research scientist at Monash Uni and she is always grizzling about funding!

Good luck with everything.

BB
Old Jul 18th 2016, 1:34 pm
Just Joined

Thanks BB! I think my husband is open to moving to a more business role, if it's in Aus, so we'll see what we can find.
Old Jul 18th 2016, 9:57 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

By the way, you ask about agents, I would agree, if you can employ a good agent (just make sure they are MARA registered) then you will be much more sure that you will be able to get your visa, or at least know what you have to do in order to achieve one.
Old Jul 22nd 2016, 8:21 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for that advice BB. I'll look into and get in touch sooner rather than later.