Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

BRITS Go Home!!???.

BRITS Go Home!!???.

Old Sep 15th 2003, 12:42 pm
No need for rose tinted.

the Wombats has a spectacular aura aboutthe Wombats has a spectacular aura aboutthe Wombats has a spectacular aura about
Default BRITS Go Home!!???.

I am very curious as to people returning home to the UK.
I wonder what the percentage of people who go to Oz, then return to the UK never to go back to Oz again.
Also the number of people who return to the UK then return to Oz after realising it is not so sweet at home.
I know lots of people who have gone to Spain and France and in their communities not many if any return back to the UK and say I made a mistake going. If Oz was only a 2 hour flight would there be so many returning Expats?. Would be easier to go home and get over home sickness.

I read Wilf and his continual gripes about Oz but I do not think he is for real. He is either very happy and is a wind up merchant or he is Pauline Hanson and wants to scare away the migrants. If I was that unhappy in a foriegn country I would leave no matter what and would get the money to do it too. Anything is possible, just do not believe him.
Old Oct 15th 2003, 5:14 am
I like kittens.

downunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to behold

I think the main reason for ex-pats to go back 'home' is that they originally came out here with unrealistic expectations: they thougt the streets were paved with gold, that food was growing on the vine ready for picking, and the climate meant that you only needed a shady tree... And they miss their familiar surroundings / companions. It just pisses me off when they then spend all their time down the pub, slagging off Oz, making out that their failure was caused by Oz, rather than their own lack of backbone.

The reality is that. like any other country, including (or especially!) the UK, you need to get off your bum to make things happen. I was brought up in Oz, from ages 10-17, and was dragged, kicking and screaming out of Oz when I was a minor, and unable to do anything about it. But I'm back, now, with no illusions, or rose-coloured memories. It's been a hard year, but it was worth every minute. Australia is now 'home' for me, and I wil NEVER go back to the UK. (Except maybe for a summer holiday, to brag to all the stick-at-homes about our lifestyle out here!)
Old Oct 15th 2003, 5:25 am
Forum Regular

Kath will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by downunderpom
I was brought up in Oz, from ages 10-17, and was dragged, kicking and screaming out of Oz when I was a minor, and unable to do anything about it.
You spent a large part of your youth in Australia and I'm sure you feel more Australian than British, it felt right for you to return to Australia.

I think this is why some people return to the UK, if they were brought up in the UK they feel British and for some it's always in your heart, no matter what lifestyle you can have overseas.

I've spoken to so many Expats who have lived in Australia for many years 20+ and they still have fond memories of Britain and talk about feeling 'at home' when they return on holiday.

That's my theory anyway and one I can relate to, been in Perth for 16 months now, I really love Australia but I do get homesick for all things English!!

Would be great to have some stats on moving between the two countries.
Old Oct 15th 2003, 5:31 am
I like kittens.

downunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to behold

I definitely consider myself more Australian than British, that's for sure. But I spent more time in the UK (25 years after returning there) than in Oz. But you're right - I hated my childhood in South Wales, loved my childhood in Oz!

Unlike the first time I lived here (mid-late 60's) you now have the internet, and easy communications with the UK. Back then it was six weeks EACH WAY for a letter! Very had to keep in touch back then.

Stats - well, this is the Internet ;-) there's bound to be some person who loves doing that sort of analysis, and has posted their results!

Give my love to king's Park, and the view across the Swan!!!
Old Oct 15th 2003, 5:34 am
Forum Regular

Give my love to king's Park, and the view across the Swan!!!
This is the best part of Perth don't you think?!

We love Sydney, nearly settled there but chose Perth instead (long story!), it's remote but like you say internet and air travel keeps us in touch.

All the best.
Old Oct 15th 2003, 5:43 am
I like kittens.

We looked at Perth (2001) but there weren't any mountains (which is why we liked King's Park so much - it's the high point of Perth!)

Settled instead for 116 acres in the Blue Mountains. Presently building a self-designed house on the block. Yummy!!
Old Oct 15th 2003, 7:41 am
Forum Regular

DaisyNZ is on a distinguished road

I agree about how bad it is listening to Brits out here who just say how rubbish it is and want to go home. I believe Brits return home for both reasons mentioned, some because of unrealistic expectations but others definitely because England is home. I love NZ and will always miss it if we go back, but however good our lifestyle is here, I can't wait to live back home, even if it does end up being for a short time. But I truly believe that if NZ was 2 hours away from England I would have found it easier to settle. It's definitely the cost of travel and the effort involved (with kids) that makes me feel more homesick. There's no right or wrong way to feel homesick, everyone is different, but I do hate whinging poms.
Old Oct 15th 2003, 7:59 am
(Jon) returning to NZ 04

jandjuk is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't think, no matter how long you live in a place, you can ever easily give up your roots.

For me, it's one of the major reasons I plan to return to NZ. If I sit down and analyse the pros and cons, things come out about even. But there's still that intangible quality - 'home', which has a fairly major say in the decision.

It's not really about family or friends or places - it's just I'm a NZer, and for better or worse, it's what shaped me.

It's perhaps something often overlooked by emigrants.
Old Oct 15th 2003, 8:25 am
BE Forum Addict

doctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to behold

I lived in Ashfield, Sydney from 1968-70. My family & my cusin's family both moved out there & moved back to the UK. Personally, I would nevergo back to Australia, where as my cousin's family all re-emigrated there in the erly 80s.

They find most Australians they have encountered to be boorish oafs. And as for the stereo-typical whinging poms, it is the convicts who have the whining accents and attitudes is what they have told me.
Old Oct 15th 2003, 8:41 am
Forum Regular

We looked at Perth (2001) but there weren't any mountains (which is why we liked King's Park so much - it's the high point of Perth!)

Settled instead for 116 acres in the Blue Mountains. Presently building a self-designed house on the block. Yummy!!
Sounds fantastic - 116 acres!! You sound similar to us that's where we would have lived.

Perth doesn't have mountains but we have the Hills where we decided to settle, really good city and coastal views up here, larger blocks with bush all around us. Most people forget the Hills, estate agents up here refer to it as the 'secret'.
Old Oct 15th 2003, 8:55 am
BE Forum Addict

karawara88 is an unknown quantity at this point

I read Wilf and his continual gripes about Oz but I do not think he is for real.
I think Wilf is very real, and his views are as important as anyone elses. People go back for all sorts of reasons and not all because they don't like the place, everyone has certain expectations for when they get here, for some no matter what they do they can't make it work for them, some will not be settled anywhere and dont know what they want. Some will just moan if they like it or not.

To say they have a lack of backbone because they complain about Oz not being for themand blaiming Oz for it, is a bit unfair. After all who wants to admit they made a mistake,
Old Oct 15th 2003, 9:01 am
Just Joined

ssmith is an unknown quantity at this point

I think the main reason for ex-pats to go back 'home' is that they originally came out here with unrealistic expectations: they thougt the streets were paved with gold, that food was growing on the vine ready for picking, and the climate meant that you only needed a shady tree... And they miss their familiar surroundings / companions. It just pisses me off when they then spend all their time down the pub, slagging off Oz, making out that their failure was caused by Oz, rather than their own lack of backbone.

The reality is that. like any other country, including (or especially!) the UK, you need to get off your bum to make things happen. I was brought up in Oz, from ages 10-17, and was dragged, kicking and screaming out of Oz when I was a minor, and unable to do anything about it. But I'm back, now, with no illusions, or rose-coloured memories. It's been a hard year, but it was worth every minute. Australia is now 'home' for me, and I wil NEVER go back to the UK. (Except maybe for a summer holiday, to brag to all the stick-at-homes about our lifestyle out here!)
Very similar story to myself born in England went to Adelaide at age 5 and then dragged kicking and screaming to England at aged 17 vowing to return (took 25 years to get back to oz this time perth) bringing hubby and 2 kids after saying would never give a 17 year old such a big move and my son was 17 when we moved!!!!!!!! I always felt I was more like an Australian when in England but when I returned to Australia I felt very English!! We are in process of settling still but have no real desire to return to UK at present. My parents were 10 pound poms and never intended to stay longer than 2 years but ended up staying 12 years but I think they always have regreted returning to UK I just wish they would have taken out citizenship, I could have come back a lot sooner and felt a lot less English when I came back.
Old Oct 15th 2003, 1:33 pm
Just Joined

GOGGLE is an unknown quantity at this point

We know lots of family/friends that have gone to Oz. Off the top of my head here’s a run down of who has stayed & who has come back.

Wife’s uncle, went out as £10 poms. Been there 36 years & bought up family there. Live in the Gold Coast would never come back to UK.

My workmates best friend. Went over to Sydney two years ago. Working as a structural engineer. Bought a house & engaged to an Aussie girl. Very happy.

My wife’s cousins husband. From London, was a railway engineer now works at Dreamworld Theme Park on the Gold coast. Loves it there. Not even interested in coming back to UK for a holiday.

Friends of ours. He is a builder. They have two young children 5 & 8. They live on the outskirts of Sydney. They have been there 2+ years and love it. Say the kids are settled in school. They have a lovely house with a pool and say they would never return to the high-stress life in the UK.

My friends brother. Works in agriculture. Bought a house near the Blue Mountains. Been there 8 years.

The ones who came back

Old workmate of mine. She had a job on The Sydney Morning Herald newspaper. Got really homesick & missed her family. Came back after a year & half.

My wife’s cousins husbands family (phew). They came out with two children 16 & 12. Hated it from the very first day. Gave it six months and then just suddenly drove to the airport & got the first plane home. Leaving the family in Oz to sort out selling house etc.

Friend of mine had a job on a newspaper in Melbourne. Hated Australia. came back & said Australia is “lacking“.

So there you are. We will go & make up our own minds. As you can see, you can always come back.
Old Oct 15th 2003, 1:36 pm
Anti- Mike Member

Glenn2003 is an unknown quantity at this point

In answer to the original Q. I read somewhere it is about 52% that return to the UK

Glenn
Old Oct 16th 2003, 11:21 am
Goodpubmisser

From what I have worked out speaking to Brits in Australia:

1. Those who have emigrated to Australia and then had kids are very unlikely to return permeanently to Britain. This is because their kids think of Australia as their home and that they are Australian.

2. Those who emigrate as above and do not have kids are more likely to return.

I think that at the end of the day where you are brought up has a large impact on you and tends to make you feel at home.

Another factor of course is that where you are from in Britain plays a part - for someone brought up in a rough freezing area with high unemployement, you would be a masocist to want to go back! :lecture:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.