Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

brits being burgled???

brits being burgled???

Old Mar 7th 2008, 10:16 pm
Forum Regular

Lee&Jade has much to be proud ofLee&Jade has much to be proud ofLee&Jade has much to be proud ofLee&Jade has much to be proud ofLee&Jade has much to be proud ofLee&Jade has much to be proud ofLee&Jade has much to be proud ofLee&Jade has much to be proud ofLee&Jade has much to be proud ofLee&Jade has much to be proud ofLee&Jade has much to be proud of
Default brits being burgled???

Hi all,
I’ve read quite a few times on here about brits being burgled within the first few months of being in Auz, is this a big problem? I know a lot of Auzzies think that all us brits are loaded but that is just not the case and was just wondering if that has something do with migrants being targeted or is it just a big problem and anybody is getting burgled and we are only hearing about the ones on here. Let me know what you think
Lee
Old Mar 7th 2008, 10:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: brits being burgled???

Originally Posted by Lee&Jade
Hi all,
I’ve read quite a few times on here about brits being burgled within the first few months of being in Auz, is this a big problem? I know a lot of Auzzies think that all us brits are loaded but that is just not the case and was just wondering if that has something do with migrants being targeted or is it just a big problem and anybody is getting burgled and we are only hearing about the ones on here. Let me know what you think
Lee
Can't help you with your question, but I've not had anyone I know get burgled since I've been in Aus (8 years). It may depend on where you live.

I'm intrigued to know why you think Aussies think all us Brits are loaded. I've never heard that - particularly these days. I think the Aussies are loaded LOL!
Old Mar 7th 2008, 10:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rabsody
Can't help you with your question, but I've not had anyone I know get burgled since I've been in Aus (8 years). It may depend on where you live.

I'm intrigued to know why you think Aussies think all us Brits are loaded. I've never heard that - particularly these days. I think the Aussies are loaded LOL!

My friend just arrived form the UK and he went down to buy a car from the ford dealer. He went in and the salesman said to him, 'Oh you're English how long have you been here'. My mate replied 'We've just arrived' so the salesman started taking him towards a brand new ford falcon and my mate said 'I can't afford a new car, I'm looking for something around $7k' the salesman was gobsmacked and said 'but all you English are loaded aren't you' he then went on to tell him that he wouldn't get much for $7k anywhere and that the cheapest car they had in the yard was $12k
Old Mar 7th 2008, 10:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,
Lee

My next door neighbour got broken into at Christmas, she's an Aussie - on either side of her she has us (obviously English) and an Italian couple. Don't believe everything you read or are told
Old Mar 7th 2008, 10:38 pm
Forum Regular

Lee&Jade has much to be proud ofLee&Jade has much to be proud ofLee&Jade has much to be proud ofLee&Jade has much to be proud ofLee&Jade has much to be proud ofLee&Jade has much to be proud ofLee&Jade has much to be proud ofLee&Jade has much to be proud ofLee&Jade has much to be proud ofLee&Jade has much to be proud ofLee&Jade has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by rabsody

Hi rhapsody,
I don’t think that brits are loaded but I have read it said quite a few times about auzzys thinking it, maybe it was because of the exchange rate and the house prices although things have changed quite a bit there in the last year or two
Lee
Old Mar 7th 2008, 10:46 pm

>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute

It's surprising how many "first built" houses on new estates get burgled,We know 2 families done this way,1 aus and 1 brit...I kinda put it down to having no neighbours as such.

The one family had the whole house contents removed using a big van..apparently a witness thought it was people moving in..

Also when we arrived it "felt" as tho Aus is so crime free compared to the UK (unashamed generalisation I know) and we regularly left cars unlocked on the driveway,backdoors unlocked..etc

We've never been done here..touch wood,but have been more wary now that what we were when we first arrived..
Old Mar 7th 2008, 10:50 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,
Lee
Burglaries happen anywhere. This site is British Expats....ergo anyone on this site reporting a break in is usually British so its not really surprising that your only reading about those personal experiences if you think about it.
Old Mar 7th 2008, 10:57 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,
Lee
I think this is one of the most ridiculous threads ever posted on here.
Old Mar 7th 2008, 11:04 pm
Forum Regular

tony4563 has much to be proud oftony4563 has much to be proud oftony4563 has much to be proud oftony4563 has much to be proud oftony4563 has much to be proud oftony4563 has much to be proud oftony4563 has much to be proud oftony4563 has much to be proud oftony4563 has much to be proud oftony4563 has much to be proud oftony4563 has much to be proud of

Amazulu.

Close, but doesn't beat the earlier thread asking if Oz has takeaways (still can't get over that one)
Old Mar 7th 2008, 11:07 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tony4563
Amazulu.

Close, but doesn't beat the earlier thread asking if Oz has takeaways (still can't get over that one)
Have not read that one yet but by the sounds of it you may be right!
Old Mar 7th 2008, 11:14 pm
NO ADDED SUGAR

I_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Amazulu
I think this is one of the most ridiculous threads ever posted on here.
Good grief, give the OP a break! If someone has a concern, it's only fair to let them air it without being riduculed.

To the OP - no I don't feel that Brits are targeted in particular.
Old Mar 7th 2008, 11:25 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wendy
My next door neighbour got broken into at Christmas, she's an Aussie - on either side of her she has us (obviously English) and an Italian couple. Don't believe everything you read or are told
So they made a mistake <g>
Old Mar 7th 2008, 11:27 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by I_Will_Freckle
Good grief, give the OP a break! If someone has a concern, it's only fair to let them air it without being riduculed.

To the OP - no I don't feel that Brits are targeted in particular.
Burglaries happen in Australia the same as everywhere else. We (a Brit and an Aussie) have been burgled, I havce pommie mates that have been burgled, and I have Aussie mates that have been.
Same as anywhere in the world. It's fate or whatever, you just have to take the same precautions as in the UK. I'm sure the druggie that did our place didn't stop and think "is there a Brit here, we'll nick their gear" any more than the prat that did my place in the UK stopped to think who it was before breaking in.

I have to say that I am very glad that I have now cured The (Aussie) Bloke of the poxy habit of leaving the key in his shoe on the front doorstep
Old Mar 7th 2008, 11:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
I have to say that I am very glad that I have now cured The (Aussie) Bloke of the poxy habit of leaving the key in his shoe on the front doorstep
Oh my word
Old Mar 7th 2008, 11:37 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wendy
My friend just arrived form the UK and he went down to buy a car from the ford dealer. He went in and the salesman said to him, 'Oh you're English how long have you been here'. My mate replied 'We've just arrived' so the salesman started taking him towards a brand new ford falcon and my mate said 'I can't afford a new car, I'm looking for something around $7k' the salesman was gobsmacked and said 'but all you English are loaded aren't you' he then went on to tell him that he wouldn't get much for $7k anywhere and that the cheapest car they had in the yard was $12k
I had the opposite experience....I was test driving a Ford Focus and the salesman told me that normally the newly arrived poms go for Fiestas because they are strapped for cash.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.