Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

British on your CV?

Wikiposts
View Poll Results: Are you British on your job apps?
Yes, i state my nationality.
54.55%
No, i don't.
45.45%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

British on your CV?

Old Feb 19th 2004, 10:28 am
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of
Default British on your CV?

Just wondered how many of you put your nationality on your CV?

Reason i ask, is a mate who is over here has just got a job after about 8 months of applications... The only thing he changed was to knock the word "British" off of his CV, after being suggested to do so by a recruitment agency.

Anyone experience anything similar?
Old Feb 19th 2004, 10:36 am
Merlot

I am proud to be British but didn't put it on my resume as concentrated on the "selling points" of my experiences.

I have noted predudices in recruiting in UK & OZ, e.g. age, nationality, etc. If it is not on there, they will take you more for your working past. If this makes sense?

I have been recruiting for my role here in Oz (PA) and the funny thing is that me and my boss picked out of 100's for the job, 4 were originally from the UK and didn't make much reference to nationality - we picked them on experience and for a darn good resume/cover letter.

I have to say, the quailty of CV's/resume from UK job applicants are of a higher quality and better written - they always catch my eye even before I know they are from the UK. We also know how to put a relevant cover letter together.

Just observations.

Good luck
Merlot

Old Feb 19th 2004, 10:56 am
Forum Regular

cookies is an unknown quantity at this point

Nationality........now that's a word that can be debated forever. My nationality is recorded on my CV as having spent most of my time working in the UK, though I have lived for a number of years in a few other countries

If I am asked I will always say I am English, much to the angst of my brother who is Scottish. I percieve myself to be more English than British - but proud to be a Brit! Then again, in a few years time I may possibly be proud to call myself an Aussie.

I met somebody from Birmingham a few days ago who came out here 15 years ago. He proudly states he is an Aussie now.

Steve
Old Feb 19th 2004, 12:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

MikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British on your CV?

Originally posted by PeteY
Just wondered how many of you put your nationality on your CV?

Reason i ask, is a mate who is over here has just got a job after about 8 months of applications... The only thing he changed was to knock the word "British" off of his CV, after being suggested to do so by a recruitment agency.

Anyone experience anything similar?
I had tried applying for positions for a few months and had got nowhere.

Then I removed the reference to "British" . I then submitted my CV to two companies and was asked to interviews by both.

Go figure.
Old Feb 19th 2004, 12:45 pm
Merlot

Originally posted by MikeStanton
I had tried applying for positions for a few months and had got nowhere.

Then I removed the reference to "British" . I then submitted my CV to two companies and was asked to interviews by both.

Go figure.
Who said racisim is dead and buried in Oz?

I thought we were the melting pot of the world?

Merlot

Old Feb 19th 2004, 1:08 pm
jat
BE Enthusiast

jat is an unknown quantity at this point

i don have british on my resume - although its pretty obvious where im from - due to universites, work exp etc etc

ive never really thought that i was been predujiced against - however i did come 2nd numerous times for jobs and i wondered if its cause they prefer aussies.

actually - a couple of years ago i was being interviewed by a tv network and i was asked how i would cope with sexual harasment! i couldnt believe it

my reply - ive never been charged !
Old Feb 19th 2004, 1:13 pm
Merlot

Originally posted by jat
my reply - ive never been charged !
LOL

This was the big buzz world for Employers in the 80's Australia - nowt has changed much eh!!

M

Old Feb 19th 2004, 1:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

MikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Merlot
Who said racisim is dead and buried in Oz?

I thought we were the melting pot of the world?

Merlot
Are Aussies racist? It's very difficult to generalise. Given the white Oz policy has only been dead for ~30 years, the answer is some of the older generation is likely to be.

I was told by an Aussie that once one group of immigrants arrive and become settled, they become anti the next incoming race group. That person also told me that a lot of Aussies are racist in their views - even if they don't actively express them.

On the plus side, given the diverse mix of immigrants, relatively speaking Oz remains a remarkably tolerant society.
Old Feb 19th 2004, 1:50 pm
Merlot

Originally posted by MikeStanton
I was told by an Aussie that once one group of immigrants arrive and become settled, they become anti the next incoming race group. That person also told me that a lot of Aussies are racist in their views - even if they don't actively express them.
This is very true in my experience.

The ultimate "white only" attitudes I have found up in the pocket called the NSW Central Coast - it is not obvious but the longer you are here, the more you see it.

Cheers
Merlot

Old Feb 19th 2004, 3:19 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Merlot
This is very true in my experience.

The ultimate "white only" attitudes I have found up in the pocket called the NSW Central Coast - it is not obvious but the longer you are here, the more you see it.

Cheers
Merlot
This was reflected when Paulini was voted out of Aussie idol despite being the best by far, but black.