Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

British V Oz food?

British V Oz food?

Old Jan 29th 2005, 9:38 am
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice
Default Re: British V Oz food?

Originally Posted by Toukon
I'm in Melbourne.
Ah, I only know of English shops in Brisbane and Sydney. There was a post on this before Christmas though, pretty sure most cities had a shop or two. You could do a search for it - try looking under English Shops - Chocolate Boulevard (Brisbane one) and treats from home (Sydney one) as some search words

FWIW, my mum sent me some Angels Delight over this week (I bought a load of little things before I left and she posts them over to me about once a month or so as a little treat ) Cost of two packets and postage from UK was less than one packet from the treatsfromhome website.

Cheers
Old Jan 29th 2005, 10:10 am
BE Forum Addict

scissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond repute

hi, just been reading this post and have found it very interesting,i was wondering what flour you get in oz,we went to america a couple of years ago and i bought a lovely cookery book with all the traditional american deserts in it,but when i got back to the uk i realised that the flour is different there to what it is here,they have all purpose flour as apposed to plain and self raising,i have tried every flour that i can find in the uk but none of them work with these recipies,might i have the same problem when i come over to oz, is it worth bringing my cookery books with me, or should i get ris of them at the car boot and get new once im there.

thanks in advance,im a keen cook in my spare time,tracey.
Old Jan 29th 2005, 2:15 pm
Merlot

Originally Posted by scissors
hi, just been reading this post and have found it very interesting,i was wondering what flour you get in oz,we went to america a couple of years ago and i bought a lovely cookery book with all the traditional american deserts in it,but when i got back to the uk i realised that the flour is different there to what it is here,they have all purpose flour as apposed to plain and self raising,i have tried every flour that i can find in the uk but none of them work with these recipies,might i have the same problem when i come over to oz, is it worth bringing my cookery books with me, or should i get ris of them at the car boot and get new once im there.

thanks in advance,im a keen cook in my spare time,tracey.
Had this with yorkshire puds in Australia, flat as f*rts when I made them.

Only Be-ro flour seems to work and you don't want to be caught with bags of white powder at customs!!

Also, the recipes I have brought back to the UK all talk in "cups" for measurements, which I found easier when I was over there. Have to go back to lb's or kg's.

M

Old Jan 29th 2005, 2:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

scissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond repute

hi merlot, be ro flour would be like plain flour then, it if you used it for yorkshire puds,my daughter will never forgive me if i couldnt make them What would you make a cake with?

tracey.
Originally Posted by Merlot

Only Be-ro flour seems to work and you don't want to be caught with bags of white powder at customs!!

Also, the recipes I have brought back to the UK all talk in "cups" for measurements, which I found easier when I was over there. Have to go back to lb's or kg's.

M
Old Jan 29th 2005, 2:38 pm
Merlot

Originally Posted by scissors
hi merlot, be ro flour would be like plain flour then, it if you used it for yorkshire puds,my daughter will never forgive me if i couldnt make them What would you make a cake with?

tracey.
Yep I use Be-Ro plain flour back here in the UK, in Australia as they didn't sell it. I think it was White Wings brand I used there or it could have been Tip Top???

I just never had any success with yorkshires over there, but great here in Blighty. The only reason I can think is I used an electric oven in Oz and gas here???? Not sure if this mattered.

Yep cakes used self raising. I usually only baked in winter as it was too hot in summer, shame as I love baking. Tended to go to Michel's Patisserie at other times as their cakes were lovely.

M

Old Jan 29th 2005, 3:49 pm
Forum Regular

dawn kirbyshire is an unknown quantity at this point

merlot could you tell me something about the comparison between oz kitchens and kitchen ware and british. my husband is a fantastic cook and we shop very carefully for knives, pans etc. we spend hours in places like lakeland, le creuset and professional cookware. are there places like that in the sunshine coast area do you know. i'm wondering if its worth buying up some of our favourite stuff to make sure the kitchen is well stocked.

thanks
Old Jan 29th 2005, 4:49 pm
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

Originally Posted by dawn kirbyshire
merlot could you tell me something about the comparison between oz kitchens and kitchen ware and british. my husband is a fantastic cook and we shop very carefully for knives, pans etc. we spend hours in places like lakeland, le creuset and professional cookware. are there places like that in the sunshine coast area do you know. i'm wondering if its worth buying up some of our favourite stuff to make sure the kitchen is well stocked.

thanks

I can tell you, that there is a member on this forum who brought her Le Creuset set over with her and was extremely happy she did. There is a King of Knives shop, though I don't really know how it rates. If you have favourite things, I would bring them over!
Old Jan 29th 2005, 4:55 pm
Merlot

Originally Posted by mlbonner
I can tell you, that there is a member on this forum who brought her Le Creuset set over with her and was extremely happy she did. There is a King of Knives shop, though I don't really know how it rates. If you have favourite things, I would bring them over!
2nd that one, bring em over but places like Myers and David Jones has a good range in Sydney, not sure about other areas or burbs. Yes King of Knives is good.

There was a shop in Crows Nest in Sydney that I loved walking around, I think it was aimed at the catering industry but you could buy there and some fab stuff to behold if you are a cookie type of bod.

Good luck
Merlot

Old Jan 29th 2005, 4:57 pm
part-time Visa Angel!

2nd that one, bring em over but places like Myers and David Jones has a good range in Sydney, not sure about other areas or burbs. Yes King of Knives is good.
Yep, not too bad in Brisbane, though I daresay smaller than Sydney. There are a couple of stores that do decent tableware as well, they sell cookware also, but again, I couldn't comment on the quality of it.
Old Jan 29th 2005, 5:04 pm
Merlot

The funny thing is as I have said before I found it too hot to cook in the summer, though in Sydney I have struggled on a stinker of a day doing a 4 course dinner party.

It was nice break when we moved away from being obliged to do dinner parties and could get out the tupperware and BBQ.

Mind no matter how skint I have been I have to have a couple of decent kitchen knives, for cooking of course, not putting in the other halfs back :scared:

M

Old Jan 29th 2005, 10:07 pm
Banned

Quinkana will become famous soon enoughQuinkana will become famous soon enough

M
"Mixture must stand for an hour."

"Sift the flour and salt into a basin."

Yorkshire Pudding

Did you sift and stand?

Self raising flour is just plain + 1 teaspoon of baking powder per 1 cup of plain flour.

Baking with Be-Ro:

It is light, free-flowing flour without lumps, so there is no need to sieve. The light texture also means easier mixing and the best possible rise to cakes and scones.

Your flour will keep at its best if stored in its bag in a cool dry place. If the kitchen should get steamy or damp, keep the bag in a storage container with a lid.

Be-Ro Flour (plain & self raising)

Suspect that Be-Ro may have additives to keep it free flowing in cool dry conditions.
Old Jan 29th 2005, 10:43 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by dawn kirbyshire

thanks
They do sell le creuset here. This site has the RRP of the range they do. http://www.lecreuset.com.au/home.html I've seen them in Myers.

Merlot
Gas Ovens do Yorkshire puds better than Electric

Old Jan 29th 2005, 11:01 pm
Banned

Quinkana will become famous soon enoughQuinkana will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
They do sell le creuset here. This site has the RRP of the range they do. http://www.lecreuset.com.au/home.html I've seen them in Myers.

Merlot
Gas Ovens do Yorkshire puds better than Electric
A tray of hot water in the oven eliminates any difference. Most electric ovens are now fan forced convention so no significant difference.
Old Jan 30th 2005, 4:13 am
Forum Regular

Philanthropist5 is an unknown quantity at this point

the mixture should be refrigerated whilst it stands.
also use full fat milk in the mix, and for a bit of extra rise pop in some cream.

can't believe nine pages of posts about food and only fleeting mentions of the no.1 food group, chocolate.
Aussie chocolate is like uk cooking chocolate, bland and very very ordinary, is it any wonder the shops are full of Belgian and Swiss chocolates.

philanthropist

Originally Posted by Quinkana
"Mixture must stand for an hour."

"Sift the flour and salt into a basin."

Yorkshire Pudding

Did you sift and stand?

Self raising flour is just plain + 1 teaspoon of baking powder per 1 cup of plain flour.

Baking with Be-Ro:

It is light, free-flowing flour without lumps, so there is no need to sieve. The light texture also means easier mixing and the best possible rise to cakes and scones.

Your flour will keep at its best if stored in its bag in a cool dry place. If the kitchen should get steamy or damp, keep the bag in a storage container with a lid.

Be-Ro Flour (plain & self raising)

Suspect that Be-Ro may have additives to keep it free flowing in cool dry conditions.
Old Jan 30th 2005, 7:27 am
BE Forum Addict

ok,ive rad all about be-ro flour but do you get this in oz?or what is the equivelant of self raising flour and plain flour there, is it worth me taking my cookery books or should i just buy new when i get there,im talking more about cakes and things really...any help would be gratefully recieved

tracey.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.