Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

British V Oz food?

British V Oz food?

Old Jan 14th 2005, 10:26 pm
Forum Regular

midge04 has a brilliant futuremidge04 has a brilliant futuremidge04 has a brilliant futuremidge04 has a brilliant futuremidge04 has a brilliant futuremidge04 has a brilliant future
Default Re: British V Oz food?

Originally Posted by HUP
Havn't seen an ASDA. Where are they. I heard a rumour (That I could not substantiate) that Tescos were planning on coming to Oz
I work for Tescos, and they do have branches in Phuket and Malaysia and another place near these (cant remember it now), so hopefully if they conquer Oz i may be able to get a transfer, lol.
Old Jan 14th 2005, 10:28 pm
Forum Regular

midge04 has a brilliant futuremidge04 has a brilliant futuremidge04 has a brilliant futuremidge04 has a brilliant futuremidge04 has a brilliant futuremidge04 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by ezzie
If the suet dumplings are mushy, they haven't been cooked correctly. It should be soft and fluffy, melt in the mouth....aaagh, getting homesick now!

I also add the Tandaco mix to my pastry if I'm doing a steak & kidney pie...which isn't often as I'm usually on a diet and tomorrow I really will stick to it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I miss a big ham hock with white onion sauce...I craved it whilst pregnant and searched high & low for it but butchers had no idea what I was on about. I'd be interested to hear if anyone has found decent bacon anywhere.
There was a thread on here a little while ago about Bacon, and someone had found a butcher that does 'proper' bacon.
Old Jan 14th 2005, 10:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Banksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really nice

Originally Posted by bondipom
Good food is available here but the hicks who never travel tend to have your viewpoint. The viewpoint is used to justify their limited, ignorant, narrow minded little world.
I think he meant quality "ingredients".

And his view is supported by visiting Pom TV chefs who keep saying it.
Old Jan 14th 2005, 10:54 pm
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

Originally Posted by HUP
You thought me up

Touche!!
Old Jan 14th 2005, 11:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Banksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really nice

[QUOTE=Lorraine Bryan]Ok Ok now I know there is nothing special about British food but what British or common foods will we miss when we get to Oz? Is it easier in certain places to get known brands like HP or Walls sausages??[/QUOTE You mean like David Jones food halls that cater for every "foreign" taste, at a price.

You will not have time to miss foods because the choice is so vast at every major shopping centre and in the basement levels of large city buildings. A different cuisine every day of the week served by backpackers from the UK.

The grocery market is more concentrated and possibly competitive than in most other countries so I can't see the room for new entrants.

In our suburb, MacDonalds and KFC have closed to be replaced by ethnic alternatives.
Old Jan 14th 2005, 11:32 pm
making your move easier

melbournehelp is an unknown quantity at this point

HUP,

there is an english restaurant in Beaumaris called pomms...they do battered cod !

[QUOTE=HUP]
Originally Posted by Lorraine Bryan
Ok Ok now I know there is nothing special about British food but what British or common foods will we miss when we get to Oz? [\QUOTE]

Before I start I would like to say

YES I BLOODY KNOW I CAN MAKE IT FROM SCRATCH!!

Havn't found a decent stuffing mix and Gravox is disgusting.

I am coming round to the fish and chips but I do miss a nice bit of battered cod.
Old Jan 14th 2005, 11:39 pm
making your move easier

melbournehelp is an unknown quantity at this point

Try Rob's english butchers on the high street in Dandenong.
It's worth the risk getting your car stolen.

Originally Posted by midge04
There was a thread on here a little while ago about Bacon, and someone had found a butcher that does 'proper' bacon.
Old Jan 15th 2005, 12:09 am
Visa Granted 20 Jan 05

bert-doozer is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by melbournehelp
Try Rob's english butchers on the high street in Dandenong.
It's worth the risk getting your car stolen.
Steve,

You paint such a beautiful picture!!!!

Stu
Old Jan 15th 2005, 12:28 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Banksia
I think he meant quality "ingredients".

And his view is supported by visiting Pom TV chefs who keep saying it.
They never say best in the world. Food is good here but not the best in the world.
Old Jan 15th 2005, 12:54 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by midge04
Cresta57 gets the credit - a chat with his local butcher revealed that Pickled Pork is actually unsmoked bacon - you buy it in a joint, like gammon back in the UK, but if sliced thin enough it makes a stunning bacon sandwich.
Old Jan 15th 2005, 1:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by debsy

Since I have arrived I have become addicted to semi-dried tomatoes (fat free of course)
Me too, but I haven't seen any fat free ones yet
There is some really yummy food - loads of olives, feta cheese (buy bulgarian, Aus stuff is yuck and Greek overpriced), mangoes are gorgeous.
I'm not really missing English food, except for marmite rice cakes, not since I have discovered Brumbies and Baker's delight; I had better get some exercise soon before I explode!
My kids aren't too happy with the yogurts/ fromage frais, my eldest doesn't eat them anymore but my toddler has adapted and quite happily munches through the "Wiggles" stuff.
Philadelphia cheese is different - the stuff in blocks is hard, you have to buy the tubs if you want soft cheese.
There is lots of choice for veggie stuff- try the life style section in Coles. The veggie bacon and sausages are nice if you want a change.
Old Jan 15th 2005, 1:29 am
Class 2 Guru

Location: Where the stars look very diff-e-rent today... and tomorrow!
MarkMyWords will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Larissa
They're fat-free by definition (which I think was Debsy's point). So you can eat as many as you like without feeling guilty (until you explode of course).
Old Jan 17th 2005, 6:32 am
BE Forum Addict

debsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Larissa
There is some really yummy food - loads of olives, feta cheese (buy bulgarian, Aus stuff is yuck and Greek overpriced), mangoes are gorgeous.
I'm not really missing English food, except for marmite rice cakes, not since I have discovered Brumbies and Baker's delight; I had better get some exercise soon before I explode!
My kids aren't too happy with the yogurts/ fromage frais, my eldest doesn't eat them anymore but my toddler has adapted and quite happily munches through the "Wiggles" stuff.
Philadelphia cheese is different - the stuff in blocks is hard, you have to buy the tubs if you want soft cheese.
There is lots of choice for veggie stuff- try the life style section in Coles. The veggie bacon and sausages are nice if you want a change.
Larissa, Hi how are you? Keeping well I hope.

Mark - unfortunately they are not all fat free Some of them are soaked with Olive Oil. The fat free ones are usually available on the deli counter in Coles.

Larissa - we prefer the Danish Feta - it is yummy and soft enough for the kids to spread.

Have you tried the Cape Seed bread from Bakers Delight.

The Haloumi is also yummy - especially grilled.
Old Jan 18th 2005, 12:38 am
Forum Regular

Lorraine Bryan is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Superior
Managed to find any Woolworths groceries yet? How about if you had your facts right next time, eh?

Sorry but I think I missed something I said in the UK Woolworths does not supply groceries

Lorraine
Old Jan 18th 2005, 1:49 am
I don't re Member

andrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hels
What the heck is suet and what do you use it for???

Just the name is enough to turn me off....
Definition: The fat and fatty tissues of an animal, especially the harder fat about the kidneys and loins in beef and mutton, which, when melted and freed from the membranes, forms tallow.

I always thought it was delicious until I read this!

Andrew

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.