Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

British TV's do they work in OZ?

British TV's do they work in OZ?

Old Sep 10th 2006, 2:46 pm
Just Joined

linz & edd is just really nicelinz & edd is just really nicelinz & edd is just really nicelinz & edd is just really nicelinz & edd is just really nicelinz & edd is just really nicelinz & edd is just really nicelinz & edd is just really nicelinz & edd is just really nicelinz & edd is just really nicelinz & edd is just really nice
Talking British TV's do they work in OZ?

Hi all, probably read 1000, posts on TV"s before, but just for reassurance can someone tell me will our TV work in OZ?
thanks....
Old Sep 10th 2006, 7:49 pm

bjbrian has a spectacular aura aboutbjbrian has a spectacular aura aboutbjbrian has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: British TV's do they work in OZ?

Originally Posted by linz & edd
Hi all, probably read 1000, posts on TV"s before, but just for reassurance can someone tell me will our TV work in OZ?
thanks....
Not quite.

The sound is wrong 5.5MHz as opposed to 6MHz in the UK. The result is no sound on TV through the aerial & channel tuner. However it will be fine if the signal is from a digi box a video or DVD through the other inputs plus if you need to you can get the TV changed to 5.5MHz sound though it may cost anywhere between 80 and 160AUD to get it changed.
Since they are not expensive these days unless it is a nice one then you have to consider if it worth the freight and conversion.

Hope this helps,

Brian.
Old Sep 10th 2006, 8:04 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks....
You may want to consider the fact that having the sound not working could be a plus point. Most Oz TV ad's consist of some manic bloke shouting at you very, VERY, loudly.
Old Sep 11th 2006, 9:41 am
Not waving but drowning..

PaulG is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks....
I brought 3 and they all worked fine - all pretty new though - even got one of my freeview boxes to pick up aussie digital, once I'd worked out how to expand the band (set it to Germany!). Only disappointment was the quality of the TV it picked up................
Old Sep 12th 2006, 12:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

We brought 4 tvs with of and none worked independently. We ran 2 of them through a video or digi box and used the other for X Box etc, the sound works fine for that.

TVs are very cheap here so if you are pushed for space don't bother bringing them. You can buy a huge 42inch plasma for $2000 + at the moment. 'Normal' TVs prices are dropping as most people want the plasmas or lcds now anyway.
Old Sep 12th 2006, 12:34 pm
Just Joined

SEAL is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks....
Ours didn't (we only brought one with us) but more surprising was that the video didn't either. As others have said all this kind of stuff can be picked up really cheap here or as elsewhere, you can spend a nice fortune.

S.
Old Sep 12th 2006, 12:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

flip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud of

The one which worked on two frequencies did and the others didn't. Used the portables for DVD's and videos, haven't tried using them with the set top boxes yet though.

If it doesn't cost you much to bring them then do. If you've got a lovely friend or family member to pass them on to or are an excellent ebay seller or it will cost you more than a new one to bring, then don't.